My slave cylinder **** the bucket?

01ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iv owned my 01 GTS ACR for about 2 months now. Bought it from Bj motors in VA and I live in Pa. Went to warm the car up before taking her out one morning and found I had no clutch! Found a leak in the middle of the car and determined it was the slave cylinder. The ACR has 15,000 miles on her. I drove her home from Va and drove her to my friends wedding in NC and back. Am I driving my viper to much? Or is this just a random breakdown? Is there any way to prevent it from happening again?

The mods on the viper are roe racing Hi-flow cats, Corsa cat back, K&N air filters, roe racing Drilled rotors with ceramic pads and Toyo Proxes R888 tires.

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It happens. The part is not particularly well-designed (too much plastic for my taste) and its probably more a function of time than it is of use. I've replaced it (or had someone replace it) 3 times in the 12 years I've owned my 98. It'd be great if someone'd make a billet replacement.....

OP
OP

01ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Is there anything else I should look out for or expect to break on the car? I haven't had a chance to go threw the site yet to see if there where problems.

brentsGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disconnect the clutch line where it attaches to the slave and press on the clutch pedal. There should be resistance and it should come to a stop. That will show that the slave is bad. If your able to push it to the floor than your master cylinder is at fault.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine fail at 12xxx miles. It's a hostile environment in the bellhousing and the the rubber seals in the slave just can't take it after 10 years or so. Has more to do with heat than anything else I suppose.

OP
OP

01ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input I am going to change out the master and the slave. Hopefully be on the road again soon running out of good driving days in PA.

Reaction score
Whenever the transmission is taken out or re installed be very careful not to "jiggle" it up and down because the "*** metal" slave can easily be broken from this also.

PatrickG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess it's the "age" and those parts just start to fail. Had the same issue on my 2001 GTS with 17k miles and had to replace the slave cylinder.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn't an issue that only hits Vipers, several makes/models that use the similar hydraulic clutch slave layout also fail. Usually random, but higher miles does contribute to the failure. There is just a rubber o-ring inside the slave body, it usually goes bad after enough clutch disk powder gets trapped inside the body. I've removed slaves that looked like the plastic T/O bearing plunger had melted, haha.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang