My two week SRT10 vs GTS comparison.........

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Minus

1. SRT rides like a truck. edit: On freeway type roads with cotinuous bumps/joints.
2. Foot to gas pedal is very uncomfortable on a longer trip......pedal needs to extend farther down if possible...or maybe cruise control.
3. The seat bolsters look nice but if your sides don't touch them they are usless except for getting in the way of my elbow when shifting.
4. Can't comment on the heat yet....have to wait for warmer weather.
Plus

1. The top folds down.
2. Feels stronger than the stock 2001 RT/10 did.
3. Doesn't attract as much attention (plus and minus)

The worse thing is the gas pedal deal.....anybody else ????

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same thought about the gas pedal. After a half hour or so my ankle starts hurting. I have blamed it on my ankle (broke tibia and fibula at the ankle joint back in 1994). No pain in other cars though.

So what can be done about it?

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll have to disagree. I have owned a 99 GTS and I traded an 02 996 Turbo for the 04 SRT. All I can say is, I love it!
The ride on the Porsche was too soft. Compared to the GTS it may be rougher but in the twisties it handles much better. Sure on rough roads it’s bumpy but even the wife doesn’t complain, she loves it and she drives an 02 C4 cab.. The brakes are incredible even compared to the Porsche.
The bolsters are great but I’ll agree on the shifting bit. It gets in the way. You’ll get used to it.

As far as attracting attention. Well it’s far better at it then the Porsche and I don’t know but people stop and stare and ask a million questions.
Why just today, at my daughters school, a lady driving a Range Rover nearly hit me as she stared at the car.

As far as the pedals I’m 5’9” and I only wish the seats were a tad shorted under the knees. The pedals seem fine.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same thought about the gas pedal. After a half hour or so my ankle starts hurting. I have blamed it on my ankle (broke tibia and fibula at the ankle joint back in 1994). No pain in other cars though.

So what can be done about it?

I am going to see if there would be clearance problems if it is extended down like the GTS. My back problems make me aware of anything similar to this on trips over 20 minutes or so.

Yes, the cars handles very well.....the roughness is not noticable on a smooth road, doesn't matter on the occasional rough spot. My problem is a freeway...probably concrete with expansion joints that go on and on and on and on :)

Another plus.....My wife drove it today....worked the top by herself (as opposed to the rt/10) She loves the car....and it's hers anyway.

Reaction score
My 01 GTS really beat me up, but that was when I live in SoCal, The 04 in Indy rides like a dream, but the runflats are coming off, when the weather is good again.

The top is way hard to close for me, both hands and my head to work the t handle for the latch.

The SRT is a rocket ship compared to my GTS.

In Indy I get thumbs up and horn a honk'n all the time. The Gawk factor is still there.

JOMO

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With regard to the rough ride, I've always speculated that this is because of the tires... run flats. Not that anyone wants to replace a perfectly good pair of new tires, but I'd love to hear about someone's experience with the ride quality after replacing the tires with non run-flats.

Even at the Zone Rendevous, (driving the SRT -10 for 3 laps on the autocross course) I experienced what y'all are talking about with the gas pedal. So it isn't only you....

JD

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compared to my 01 RT/10 the SRT rides much better. Alot less shakes and rattles with the SRT. The attention is still there, it seems I always have to pop open the hood everytime I fill up.
Tony, you didn't comment on the brakes. I find them 100 times better than the RT/10.Even with the ABS on the 01s'.And they don't squeal :D

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the drag strip I get more attention than the 1000+hp machines. Always a crowd around the SRT. Rarely happened with the GTS. Dunno why. It's amazing the differences of opinion on the ride. My SRT rides noticably stiffer than the GTS or RT/10. I lowered the air pressure and it helped, but I still feel my internals jiggle more than the others. Maybe there's a production variance in the springs? We need another VOI to get all the SRTs together and jump in each others cars! For comparison only!

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, the brakes.....They will remove limbs from your body :) unfortunatly I am a 90% accelerate and 10% brake guy....I thought thats what parachutes were for :)

Does anybody know if the shocks are adjustable like the gen2 cars....you do have to take them off to make adjustments. And if they are adjustable then what setting are they on from the factory ?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, the ride is a result of the tires, think how stiff that sidewall has to be to run with no air in it. Your problem will be....you can switch to some really high class good riding rubber.....but, as you mention it's HER car...if she gets a flat I would not want to be you...if SHE likes the ride, stay with the runflats!

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 98 C5 never had a bad ride. Anybody know if the shocks are adjustable ???????????????

Lee, I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cheap to "just replace tires"....those things will have cord showing before I replace them :)

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with the gas pedal complainers (1Tony1). It kills my leg after just a few minutes. The clutch feels like it is much further down than the gas. I'd like the gas to be as far away as the clutch is. If anyone knows if this can be changed, let me know.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The difference is that the GTS pedal extends farther down......I lay the side of my foot on the floor against the go pedal and it is a comfortable cruise control. The srt pedal barely catches the shoe. If there is not a full throttle restriction to extending the pedal down, maybe the company that was doing the nice covers a while back could make a longer one. Don't get me wrong, I like the SRT. I have gripes with the GTS also :laugh: It gets way to much attention, faster than dammitttt, comfortable, rides like a caddy :) yada yada yada ;)

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Have you played with the power adjustment on the pedals yet???

Just checkin'

Hey !!! Funny you mention that. I was talking to Doug Levin today and he asked me the same thing. He said on longer drives moving the pedals away from him works. I will give it a try...assuming the wife will let me drive it somemore :)

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did 1700 miles over 4 days this summer in Michigan. I noticed the same thing---move the pedals away. It definitely helped for me.

Bill

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanx Tony, helpful comparison, im starting to like the car each day i look at it, hope the CC comes soon (if they want to build it) if not, maybe a SRT10, hope Heffner well have a turbo kit for the SRT since the prototype GenII TT viper putting some serious power and great drag performance. just DC please we screaming "GENIII GTS" :confused:

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE: The gas pedal height issue. Yes there is a way Russ that you can change the height relationship of your pedals. The accelarator, brake, and clutch pedals are each on cam mechanisms that move fore and aft via rotating cables that are connected to a central gear box. You highly skilled folks that like to tinker can remove an individual cable, rotate it, re-install it and thus adjust the relationship of the pedal heights. I refuse to accept liability, mud slinging and rock throwing for any misguided ideas presented here. Cuss words...........well yeah that's understandable.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Added the N.Ca. VCA floor mats and that 3/4" really helped my foot position. Before, when laying my foot sideways (my version of cruise control) the go pedal was just barely to short. I have only driven 30 miles, but I have high hopes. If only I could remember to keep the seatbelt over the corner of the seat when I take it off.....otherwise it ends up somewhere in the trunk :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixagg