Need advice

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok well I have been in the Vette world for some time. I have always wanted a Viper so I'm doing some researching.

I have always loved the 96-97 Blue with White stripe GTS, and that is what I'm leaning towards. I have also looked into the 06 SRT-10 Coupe Blue with White Stripes. I'm kinda torn as which to purchase. I know there is a debate over which looks better Gen 2 vs Gen 3 (Gen 2 for me)

So If you had to choose, which would it be and why.

Thanks,

John B.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a lot to consider and most all of it goes to your priorities. It' will be easy for most owners to declare a clear preference, but it's really not terribly important to you since it will represent THEIR preferences rather than YOURS. See if you can put a list of what you'd value most to least in a Viper so we can help you. Things like:

Value over time
Warranty
Cost (what are you comfortable spending)
How do you intend to use your car: daily driver, weekends, short trips, long trips, etc.
Give us some input so we're all not just shooting from the hip.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say it depends on what your plans are for the Viper-are you gonna put it in the garage and have a 1:1 diecast model, or are you going to DRIVE it?

Sunday driver-I say the older b/w
gonna drive it? go newer, better chance of the warranty, like CitySnake says
and also consider performance upgrades

ANY Viper will be an upgrade from a vette.

and I own both so I can tell ya', just be prepared for all the attention you are gonna get.

OP
OP
J

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a lot to consider and most all of it goes to your priorities. It' will be easy for most owners to declare a clear preference, but it's really not terribly important to you since it will represent THEIR preferences rather than YOURS. See if you can put a list of what you'd value most to least in a Viper so we can help you. Things like:

Value over time
Warranty
Cost (what are you comfortable spending)
How do you intend to use your car: daily driver, weekends, short trips, long trips, etc.
Give us some input so we're all not just shooting from the hip.

Value over time - Yes

Warranty - Not really a concern, My best bud is a Service Director at a Dodge Dealership.

I will use this as a weekend toy. Small trips etc.

Cost - up to 50k or so...give or take

I have a 800rwhp Z06 that I drive about 20 miles a month so thats about what I would do with the Viper. Of course thats after I have owned it for a while.

Hope that adds some insight:2tu:

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 800rwhp Z06 that I drive about 20 miles a month so thats about what I would do with the Viper. Of course thats after I have owned it for a while.

Hope that adds some insight:2tu:

20 miles a month?! WT....................................H?! If you don't have the time to spend with one of these fine cars, then get yourself a 1/12 model. Although they do look VERY good sitting in the garage, they look MUCH better driving down the road............ Keep the Vette and :drive::drive::drive:

OP
OP
J

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20 miles a month?! WT....................................H?! If you don't have the time to spend with one of these fine cars, then get yourself a 1/12 model. Although they do look VERY good sitting in the garage, they look MUCH better driving down the road............ Keep the Vette and :drive::drive::drive:

Thanks man, but I WANT ONE :rolaugh:

A Vette and Viper are the 2 cars I always wanted to own.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20 miles a month, that is amazing. I absolutely do not have that kind of will power.

Good luck with the search!

OP
OP
J

johncbourg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20 miles a month, that is amazing. I absolutely do not have that kind of will power.

Good luck with the search!

I hear ya.. I have a demanding career..Its not that I dont want to drive 5k miles a month..just cant.

So is it true that 96-99 have a forged internals? I'm not looking at modding this car like I did the Z06..maybe some 19/20 wheels..lowering etc.

Black Mamba 47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both Gen 2 and 3. I will say that the gen 3 is a little more driver friendly and a litlle more refined. The foot box is straight(comfort)power mirrors(big help)another 50 hp (cool).Side Exhaust (great noise while driving along a wall) The gen 2 BW (my first viper) says it all when people think of a viper,this is the one.This is also a little more racecarish as in(60's Cobras) Brutt power, a liitle harsher ride but totally bad A**. I love driving both!!!!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya.. I have a demanding career..Its not that I dont want to drive 5k miles a month..just cant.

So is it true that 96-99 have a forged internals? I'm not looking at modding this car like I did the Z06..maybe some 19/20 wheels..lowering etc.

Yeah that will happen sometimes. I try to keep my weekends free to take her out for a good drive.

I'm still somewhat in Viper shock though because I've only been an owner for 4 months, so I've literally taken it out every chance I've gotten.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing I am annoyed at with the Gen IV(probably the same as a Gen III) is the gas tank size. 16 gallons???????? I like my Gen II's having 19(can squeeze in another 1/2 gallon or so). Just better on long trips because........
I LIKE TO DRIVE IT...................... :D :D

You can't go wrong with either. :2tu:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, sit in both to make sure you can fit. They are both much tighter inside than your Corvette. The seat bolsters in the GEN3's would make the car impossible for me, so possibly for you, too.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it has always been the look of the Gen I/II Viper. The body style is just amazing to me. I will admit having driven a Gen III and Gen IV I love the way they ride and the performance is just awesome...but it doesent catch my eye quite like the first two generations.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Stay with a new Vette as we all love beating the bageezus out of you guys on the street! :>

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do prefer the GenII coupe over GenIII coupe. But I would take a GenIII Vert over a GenI or GenII RT/10. I just like a hassle free roof. Also, GenIII Verts’ butt looks better to me.:)

As far as Value/Time concern. I think, that in the nearest future GenI, and GenII will hold their value better. It is obvious that some of the GenIII(Vert) cars are selling for almost as much, or sometimes even less, than early GenIIs or almost as much as late GenIs.
In a long run, I think things will equalize themselves…(when the production will stop)
GenIII cars are more forgiving, with all their electronic mambo jabmo.

But the sweet look of Blue GTS with white stripes…