Need Clarification on Tranny and Diff Fluids Please!

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 RT/10. Looking to replace the tranny and differential fluids and just want to make sure this is what I should be putting in.

Tranny: 4 Quarts of Castrol Syntorque LT (Mopar #: 4874459)
Diff: 1.33 L (45 Oz) including additive, Mopar High Per. Synthetic Axle Lube SAE 75W/140 (MS-8985) (Mopar #: 4874469)

Thanks!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are right, but check the sticker on the tranny before you dump it in. There are options, like AMS and others. The rear gear oil needs the Dodge antislip additive, but any comparable lube will do.

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crom,
That is where I got the info I posted. That is from a 98 service manual, but I have a 99. Anyone know if the fluids were different between 98 and 99?

Thanks!

OP
OP
P

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those dodge part numbers? So if I give those numbers to a dodge parts counter, they will know what I am talking about? Dave6666, thanks for the response.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of them - MS-8985 - you actually have in your original post.

As far as your question though, I simply went to the dealer and asked for the correct fluids for my car. Give it a shot. Call 'em up. See if they know what the MS #'s are. They'll probably just ask for the year and model of your car though.

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried three types/brands of fluid in my tranny. First being the Mopar recommended fluid, second, being Mobile one, thirdly being Castro. All of these were synthectic.( Casto makes the fluid for Mopar )The mobile one fluid made the tranny shift the smoothest and seemed to have Less heat. The shifter was not as hot to the touch.
However, the mobile one does not have the G-4 rating for the non ferrous metals in the tranny. The G-4 rating has an extra anti-corrosion additive. However, if you change the fluid annually, the corrosion will not be a factor. This is just my experience. Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala