Need some quick HELP

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am doing a plugwire install and starting to remove the intake manifold. I cannot get the bolts that hold down the manifold to turn. I think I am supposed to be using a 3/16 hex key. That seemed like a better fit than everything else I tried. So here are the options I can think of:

1. Use a stronger hex key (currently using standard Craftsman)
2. Use a different size key
3. Spray with WD-40 and try again
4. Spray bolts with Aerokroil and soak overnight

Can someone who has done this before give me some tips, or let me know which of the above routes would work best? I'm stuck until I figure this out, so quick advice is doubly appreciated.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am doing a plugwire install and starting to remove the intake manifold. I cannot get the bolts that hold down the manifold to turn. I think I am supposed to be using a 3/16 hex key. That seemed like a better fit than everything else I tried. So here are the options I can think of:

1. Use a stronger hex key (currently using standard Craftsman)
2. Use a different size key
3. Spray with WD-40 and try again
4. Spray bolts with Aerokroil and soak overnight

Can someone who has done this before give me some tips, or let me know which of the above routes would work best? I'm stuck until I figure this out, so quick advice is doubly appreciated.

Are you using a socket hex or a screw driver hex? Had to use a socket hex with a 3/8 ratchet.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you using a socket hex or a screw driver hex? Had to use a socket hex with a 3/8 ratchet.

I don't have a hex socket that will fit when attached to a ratchet, so I was using a standard 90-degree allen wrench. I need a lower profile hex socket I think. I saw the Snap-On man today and he said they made a set, but he didn't have one with him. Is that what you used?

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
y are you removeing the intake manifold what year viper ?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used an allen 1/4" drive socket, with a fairly long extension and come down through the center of the manifold in the openings created by the runners...that works for just about all of them, except the second or third one back on the drivers side rear

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got them all except the two farthest back on the drivers side. I'm sure the inner one was the one hank mentioned. Any tips on these two?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi