New Battery Question

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First and before anything else, Merry Christmas to everyone!
Now the battery question...my '99 GTS finally crapped out the battery. Even with a steady diet of the Battery Tender between driving, she finally gave it up. Checking the forum, I decided on a new Diehard Gold. Just too many mixed reviews and comments on the Optima and at twice+ the price of the top of the line Diehard, it just didn't seem justifiable. O.K., now the question. Some of the members had indicated a 75 series Diehard and others a 78 series, which is larger with higher CCA's. The Sears computer as well as their tech books called out for a 78 series for the '99 GTS. I'll be installing it on Saturday but wanted to be sure the size was O.K. before I got started so there wouldn't be any problems. Anyone ever go thru this yet on a '99? Thanks and have a great New Year!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the Sears store near me recently looked up the "correct" battery for our 97 and found that it called for a series 75 (previous calalog had stated 78). Since I PERSONALLY have dragged a 78 series home on ONE occasion, only to have it NOT FIT...I have used Sears DieHard Gold 75 series in ALL our other Vipers WITHOUT any problems...perfect fit, no cranking problems, no low voltage problems. Only REAL concern in MY mind would be if you tracked your car, and if so, wolud use a gel battery.

EDIT: P,.S. "Optima Man" at the PRI Show here in early Dec. ASSURED me that they would have a purpose built side terminal Optima battery ("red" by my recollection)suitable for Viper usage AVAILABLE 3 months from that date.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the OPtima.You can affford a couple more bucks.No leaks,no vents,no mess.Might have to stretch the battery tray a little for fit.Absolutely have to clean up and repaint tray after using one of the puking batteries.Optima doesn't puke on your car when driving hard.Go to autozone or someplace that sells cheap. Bruce