New Garage Pictures

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After several years of planning and saving, and after a very rainy spring season here in Northern Virginia, my Viper garage is finally finished. County zoning would not let me build a 3-car garage, but they would allow a 2-car detached garage with a carport. So the Perfect Park lift is in the carport, which works fine for nearly all routine maintenance and washing -- no bending or stooping. The garage dimensions are 24x24, the carport is 14x24. Ceiling height is 10 foot. The garage features plenty of light and storage space. The flooring is Race Deck, which I highly recommend.

Here are a few pictures.

50RGG0005.jpg

50RGG0001.jpg

50RGG0002.jpg

50RGG0003.jpg

50RGG0004.jpg

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that's tight! Sure couldn't do it that way in Florida. You just need a couple of stools, some racing banners and a television mounted on the wall with Speedvision on 24/7. :)

Like the racedeck floor.

My dream garage would have a loft overlooking all 12 cars below (4 rows of 3). Big screen TV, fridge, bathroom, Xbox, couch, minibar, central air, minidishwasher. In my dreams...

REMIX

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nicely done. You must feel a great sense of accomplishment as that was a lot of work. Congrats.

Phil

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why did the county disallow the 3 car garage but allow the 2 car +carport?

oh, yea it is the goverment they dont need to make sense, right? :)

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ron,
Garage looks fantastic, but I would caution you on one thing. The covers on the garage door openers have a tendency to fall off. Had it happen to me, fortunately I had the Viper outside and was leaving when it hit the floor. Suggestion would be to put a screw in them so they can't fall off from vibration. :cool:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
VERY COOL. Nice VIPERS too! Gotta wonder about the government allowing a carport instead of a third garage. I'd have to believe that a third garage would be better looking in the neighborhood. Tax dollars at work again!

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gorgeous! The only thing I would add would be a red line along the side walls the same height as the red counter top/backsplash. Excellent work.

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smart thing he did was add a LOT of storage. This is the thing to do if you wanna keep it looking clean.

REMIX

Hurricane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, OUTSTANDING! and congratulations . I may have to visit on the next oil change day! Any plans to enclose the carport after things settle down?

I am planning something similar but the hitch is the county will not allow me to blacktop over any of my septic reserve. Gotta love those regulators!

Guess you're headed up to PA today?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Nice.
My garage looks like a stuffed sausage. Everything is in it's place, but even the flies have a hard time finding a place to sit down. There is no more wall space, no more floor space and very little ceiling space. I have so much sh*t, I have to keep inventory. Yest the cars are all in there as well, but well protected and I can even work in the garage. It has taken my neighbors 6 years just to learn where everything is for when they need to borrow something. It really throws them when I re-organize, which is at least a weekly hour long job to maintain sanity.

AC

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, it's beeautiful. Very clean job. Looks like it could be the pits for Oreca. Floor looks absolutely awesome. You even draw attention to the ceiling with the red fan blades. Looks like the sockets are easy to find, plentiful and painted red. Great pics by the way.

Did you guys already have the Crab Feast?

OP
OP
R

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the compliments. I was not aware of the door opener covers' tendencies to fall -- will take precautions to prevent that. I have absolutely no idea why the county would allow a 2-car + carport and not a 3-car. I had resigned myself to a 24x24 2-car, and was tickled pink when they OKed the carport almost immediately. I could have gone through a lengthy zoning variance application process, but since a 100-year flood plain runs through a corner of the property and my neighbor is a real ****, it would have been a lengthy uphill battle. I planned all along to enclose the carport in the near future. I just have to wait until after the county has done all their inspections and assessments. I am glad I completed the project -- just this week the county supervisors passed some legislation prohibiting construction within 100 feet of a stream bed; depending on the rules for measuring, this might have killed the project. Fortunately, now I'm grandfathered so I don't have to worry about it.

Lots of storage space and keeping everything off the floor were the goals, and I think I've accomplished that. I'm definitely going to try to keep things off the side walls. As it is now, I can open the door to either car fully without hitting a wall or the other car. The cabinets are all Home Depot products. I looked at other options -- and there are lots of great garage-specific products out there -- but they were just too expensive for my budget. I did splurge on the Race Deck floor, but, as you can see, it was worth it. I figured a professionally-applied epoxy floor would have cost me $800-900 anyway, so the upgrade to Race Deck was not unreasonable. The Race Deck was everything I expected -- no surprises. I put the floor down myself in about 10 hours. The tools needed were a table saw to cut the tiles and a rubber hammer. Knowing that I was going the Race Deck route, I had the contractor leave the drywall 1/2 inch short of the floor, and then when he installed the base trim, I gave him a few tiles, and he placed the trim on top of the tiles. So when I did the floor, I could just slide the tile under the trim and didn't have to be too precise. (Race Deck requires a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from the wall to allow for expansion.)

Of course, there's still a lot of piddly finishing and decorating to do (posters are next!). And if it ever stops raining, the contractor still has to finish the grading around the garage. I clearly underestimated the amount of time (and money) the finishing work would take. Despite contractors doing the painting and drywall, it still took my roommate Bryon (that's his blue GTS, by the way) and I two months to install the lights, cabinets, electrical, etc.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did forget to compliment the lights. Everything looks very professional. Gotta love those counties in MD and VA being worried about watersheds, run offs, and water shores.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, that is one of the nicest garages I have ever seen, my problem like most is not enough storage & too much crap.
What are the opener covers that everyone is saying to take off??
I am going to order racedeck soon, & I think your design is very clean looking yet unique.

One more thing I would do is CUT off the handles on your garage door release rope. There is a tool (almost a coat hanger) that is made to slip thru between the top of your garage door & frame it reaches in & grabs that handle on that rope. That releases the door & thiefs are in your garage!

Impressive garage!!
Andy

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice garage.....now I have to drive mine home & cut release handles & remove door opener covers....nice tips.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960