Nice quote from Ralph

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taken from a interview in Automobile Magazine where Ralph talks SRT and Viper's Gen V:drive:.

It’s mostly to do with execution. I love my current Viper owners, don’t get me wrong. They’re fanatical, we love ‘em, and we absolutely designed this car with them in mind first. But in terms of the level of detail, the finishing — world class is what we’re going after. Because we did some research and we talked to people that would set foot in a Viper — they like the Viper, they respected it, but they would never own one, and we asked them why and 99 percent of the issues had to do with fit and finish, the execution. It should look like what you charge for it. So we think the execution definitely will be appealing to a lot more people this time.

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/det...viper-srt-and-style-100265.html#ixzz1j0skFmsA

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Fit and finish? Execution?

I for one am very satisfied with my 2001 GTS.

The interior is "richly swathed" in black plastic! :lmao:

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What worries me is that in another article on that page he mentions that he is trying to attract the 911 crowd. I personally don't see the viper "fitting in" that crowd. Not because of the fit and finish items he calls out on the viper, but the attitude of the owner. I figure they are one step up from a vette owner.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My dad always says "Vipers are just a jet engine with a saddle and that's the way I like it"! No apologies here! That's why GM builds vettes.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my Automobile magazine (Feb12) this past week. Opened it up to the first page and was greeted by a full two-page ad of a ZR1 and Chevy’s 100 years of racing heritage. Not happy.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All im sayin is if the design has been done for over a year and a half now and it is being built in Detroit why not show it at the Detroit auto Show. :dunno:
Im a little bumbed out as i am going to it this saturday and would have loved to check it out.
:(

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All im sayin is if the design has been done for over a year and a half now and it is being built in Detroit why not show it at the Detroit auto Show. :dunno:
Im a little bumbed out as i am going to it this saturday and would have loved to check it out.
:(

The design may have been done but that doesn't mean that the car itself was finished. Ralph has mentioned that the Viper will be the flagship for SRT so i'm sure they want it to be 100% finished before they show it off.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are trying to make the Viper more profitable and grabbing more market share is the road they are taking. I can't argue with that. The Viper needs to grab some Vette and 911 buyers to do that, so some changes will have to occur. I have no issue with that. However, I almost think they would need an automatic transmission to get a lot of those people and I don't think they are doing that...

I think the Viper is dead if it does not increase market share and become more profitable. A loss leader is not normally your top end product.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Those of us on this forum, and in the club, need the LEAST amount of sales-pitches and refinements to convince us to buy a Viper. We Are The Choir......no need to convert us......

I am happy to see that Dodge/SRT Marketing recognizes the need and is targeting incremental increases in Viper volume from SOB buyers in a demographic that is somewhat different from current. I agree that a transmission option WILL (eventually) be needed to get Viper numbers above 4000 units/year. Discretionary incomes in the older and female demo will sell more Vipers if they see and feel the upgraded QUALITY (and can drive it without getting afraid!)

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, fit & finish-- the body panel gaps are a tad large on these cars. But, when I bought mine I was looking for a car that would make you sweat just a bit from the rawness and muscle of it... haven't had that in a car since I sold my '70 Charger R/T 440 many years ago. Honestly I was getting close to buying another Porsche when I started seriously considering a Viper. Porsche makes some civilized daily driver-capable sports cars, but most of them (under $100k) do NOT make me break a sweat just winding out second gear the way a healthy SRT does. The immediate torque, the roar, the tires busting loose at speed... thank you for not sleeping at this wheel. Have a feeling there won't be too many more generations of Vipers that will keep that feeling going, with "new rules" every year keeping us all so very safe.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Ralph's analysis. I love my Vipers , but the interiors leave much to be desired, especially when MSRP is near $100K. I look forward to the next gen Viper, especially if they nail the interior (they sure hit a home run with the exterior design.)

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the interior and have no complaints about it. If I wanted some fancy I would probably opt for a high end Porsche.

I realize now SRT has to stand-a-lone the Viper needs to appeal to more buyers; however, since I have a ZR1 and an ACR I don't think the ZR1's interior is any more attractive than the ACR. Yes, it has nice leath stitched seats and a dash; but, quite frankly I would trade the ZR1 seats in a minute for the ACR seats.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the interior and have no complaints about it. If I wanted some fancy I would probably opt for a high end Porsche.

I realize now SRT has to stand-a-lone the Viper needs to appeal to more buyers; however, since I have a ZR1 and an ACR I don't think the ZR1's interior is any more attractive than the ACR. Yes, it has nice leath stitched seats and a dash; but, quite frankly I would trade the ZR1 seats in a minute for the ACR seats.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the shape/layout of the interior...its the general fit/finish and quality of materials, which even a ZR1 has all over a Viper. We may all get defensive about our Viper interiors, but c'mon man...its a 100k car...there is certainly room for improvement, at a minimal monetary and weight expense!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, there is nothing wrong with the shape/layout of the interior...its the general fit/finish and quality of materials, which even a ZR1 has all over a Viper. We may all get defensive about our Viper interiors, but c'mon man...its a 100k car...there is certainly room for improvement, at a minimal monetary and weight expense!

You hit it perfectly. When I look at my $35K Avalon the fit and finish is near flawless bumper to bumper--inside and out. I see no reason the Viper could not do as well with materials and finish. Gee, it's not like the interior of the Viper is very big--the material cost difference could not be that great. I think Ralph knows this and is getting it corrected. The new SRT cars (Challenger, etc.) have been much improved. I can't wait for the new SRT-8 300 comes to town... it is supposed to be a lot better.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toyota doesn't use Union Labor...:D

You hit it perfectly. When I look at my $35K Avalon the fit and finish is near flawless bumper to bumper--inside and out. I see no reason the Viper could not do as well with materials and finish. Gee, it's not like the interior of the Viper is very big--the material cost difference could not be that great. I think Ralph knows this and is getting it corrected. The new SRT cars (Challenger, etc.) have been much improved. I can't wait for the new SRT-8 300 comes to town... it is supposed to be a lot better.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the economy was good they didn't have any problem selling the nanny-free Vipers with their sub-par fit and finish and horrible amenities.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the economy was good they didn't have any problem selling the nanny-free Vipers with their sub-par fit and finish and horrible amenities.

The economy of the late 90's and early 00's was good for a myriad of phoney reasons that eventually came back to haunt us. A car has to be made to sell when things are up, down, or somewhere in between and not just when things are great (or seem great). That is why they are trying to increase market share and appeal to more consumers.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The economy of the late 90's and early 00's was good for a myriad of phoney reasons that eventually came back to haunt us. A car has to be made to sell when things are up, down, or somewhere in between and not just when things are great (or seem great). That is why they are trying to increase market share and appeal to more consumers.

The Viper will lose its image attempting to compete for Corvette customers by building a Dodge Vette. GM will always undercut Viper pricing and those types of customers will opt for the more affordable Vette. By then the Viper purists will be long since gone and the demise of the Viper will be imminent. But hey, at least the people got what they thought they wanted.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am happy to see that Dodge/SRT Marketing recognizes the need and is targeting incremental increases in Viper volume from SOB buyers in a demographic that is somewhat different from current. I agree that a transmission option WILL (eventually) be needed to get Viper numbers above 4000 units/year. Discretionary incomes in the older and female demo will sell more Vipers if they see and feel the upgraded QUALITY (and can drive it without getting afraid!)
They do not wanna build anywhere near 4k Viper/ year. CAAP can't produce that many cars even if they wanted to. The absolute most they could produce in a year would be 1,600 @ CAAP and they don't even wanna build that many per Ralph

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They do not wanna build anywhere near 4k Viper/ year. CAAP can't produce that many cars even if they wanted to. The absolute most they could produce in a year would be 1,600 @ CAAP and they don't even wanna build that many per Ralph

Dodge built 2433 Vipers at CAAP in 2004, and I don't think they would make the car harder to build. I doubt they'll crank out 2500 a year, but I'm sure they'll have the ability to do so.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfal0003