Nitrous...Cheesy???

Is nitrous oxide cheesy, deserving little respect?

• Yes

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 54.4%

• Total voters

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you get that setup for a 96' GTS and fit it under the hood ?:2tu::headbang:

Ask and you shall receive, well after a couple of bucks :drive:

hogans.jpg

Their located in Santa Maria, CA
(805) 928-8483

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering drag racers will do everything to their cars and still refer to them as "stock" I don't see anything cheesy about NOS.

But I'll never see it at the tracks I run.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its fun and safe if installed and tuned correctly like any other power adder
Plumcrazy! You should see what the rings look like in an NOS engine before you make that statement. Life cycle of a juiced motor is a heck of alot shorter than any force inducted motor by far.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good direct port setup Brandon. Like said above what shot is that for? Using an aftermarket fuel kit? I love a good looking nitrous setup and that is one of the best I have seen on a Viper. Hard lines really do make it look very good. Again I will be called cheese all day long as I am flying past you :D

:nitrous:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a little nitrous. Have had nitrous on my built motor Gen I for years now and it has all been good. On highway pulls it has walked away from 1 Twin turbo Gen I, 1 Roe Super Charged Gen I and a Paxtang Gen II. :omg:

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer a blower or turbo's on a built motor any day. But Nitrous Works!

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plumcrazy! You should see what the rings look like in an NOS engine before you make that statement. Life cycle of a juiced motor is a heck of alot shorter than any force inducted motor by far.

Added Cylinder pressure is ADDED CYLINDER PRESSURE wheather its chemical or machanical in ref to the rings. Nitrous cools your parts much more than Blowers and Turbos resulting in LESS engine damage in the long run. Think about it ;) Nitrous sometimes or Blower/Turbo all the time! :hmmm: (research) :2tu:

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Added Cylinder pressure is ADDED CYLINDER PRESSURE wheather its chemical or machanical in ref to the rings. Nitrous cools your parts much more than Blowers and Turbos resulting in LESS engine damage in the long run. Think about it ;) Nitrous sometimes or Blower/Turbo all the time! :hmmm: (research) :2tu:

Research :lmao: I have had SIX SECOND nos cars and SIX SECOND blower cars! And by the way I built the motors TOO! NOS does NOT increase compression! it burns the fuel faster! that's why you want a static low comp motor like 9 to 1 so you can fill the cylinder with more and a more violent explosion! Now Engine theory 101: the higher the compression you get better ring seal (that why they call it compression rings) and less blow by! The higher the compression the tighter the rings seat against the cylinder wall. I don't know where you got that chemical compresstion theory crap because thats dead wrong! The only thing I agree with you is NOS is cold and dense. but it does not cool anything! Now you want to cool things run a motor on alcohol and blown! now that cools parts down even running the blower at 75% overdrive! When I used NOS I would leak down the motor every 10 passes and would lose 5 to 10 lb of cylinder pressure every time I checked it. Unlike the blown motor that would do the same every 20 passes. I don't get this information from anyone I done it myself! I know this is extreme 1700+ hp motors but it does translate in a lesser form on a street motor!
When you have a chance please do your self a favor and stop by a performance engine shop and ask him to show you a ring that came out of a NOS motor and one that came out of one that was forced induced with the same number of passes and what you will notice is the NOS ring face (part that contacts the cylinder) will be black and sometimes pitted. therfore causing blow by which equals to less compression which then leads to a bigger pill/jet (more juice) then BANG!!! time for a new motor!:cash:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they had NX fill stations at the gas stations then I'd probably be all over it. I much prefer having the motor built to produce the desired power all the time. I don't like having to plan my "fun" based upon bottle capacity. $5k-$20k for a S/C or $500 for NX...I see the alure.

I don't think it's "cheesy", I think it's cheap. Most blown engines are a result of the "well if I got that ET with a 75 shot, I could shave 4 seconds with a 900 shot". Mainly the folks in Civic SI's trying to beat Vipers...

JMO

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You should research at what RPM a Paxton kit actually adds cylinder pressure. You can drive it normal or step on it and add. It's not 100 percent of the time unless your foot is in it 100 percent of the time.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Research :lmao: I have had SIX SECOND nos cars and SIX SECOND blower cars! And by the way I built the motors TOO! NOS does NOT increase compression! it burns the fuel faster! that's why you want a static low comp motor like 9 to 1 so you can fill the cylinder with more and a more violent explosion! Now Engine theory 101: the higher the compression you get better ring seal (that why they call it compression rings) and less blow by! The higher the compression the tighter the rings seat against the cylinder wall. I don't know where you got that chemical compresstion theory crap because thats dead wrong! The only thing I agree with you is NOS is cold and dense. but it does not cool anything! Now you want to cool things run a motor on alcohol and blown! now that cools parts down even running the blower at 75% overdrive! When I used NOS I would leak down the motor every 10 passes and would lose 5 to 10 lb of cylinder pressure every time I checked it. Unlike the blown motor that would do the same every 20 passes. I don't get this information from anyone I done it myself! I know this is extreme 1700+ hp motors but it does translate in a lesser form on a street motor!
When you have a chance please do your self a favor and stop by a performance engine shop and ask him to show you a ring that came out of a NOS motor and one that came out of one that was forced induced with the same number of passes and what you will notice is the NOS ring face (part that contacts the cylinder) will be black and sometimes pitted. therfore causing blow by which equals to less compression which then leads to a bigger pill/jet (more juice) then BANG!!! time for a new motor!:cash:
UMMMMMM My point was in relation to street use Vipers only, not purpose built racecars! I've raced nitrous motors and turbo motors for over 10 years and the function is increased compression resulting in increased horsepower. More fuel more O2 and nitrogen as the buffer and coolant, YES nitrous does increase cylinder pressure, hence having to use O-ringed heads on both my nitrous and turbo motors. So I'm sorry you ARE WRONG ref the less pressure or faster burning fuel theory. Anyway yes a nitrous street motor car uses nitrous on occasion not all the time as opposed to a blower or turbo motor which are under boost ALL the time and as I said will NOT last as long. RESEARCH ! BTW, Never compensate lost compression with larger nitrous pills EVER! Oh and its the sulfer that is added into the Racing nitrous that corrodes engine parts so an engine needs purged of it by running it for a while after using nitrous... ;) I Built all my own motors top to bottom, I lived in the engine shop! I do agree with you about the blown alcohol motors though BRRRRRRRRRRR, a good friend of mine raced them till he was in a crash and then gave em up.:eater: Thanks for the information...

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should research at what RPM a Paxton kit actually adds cylinder pressure. You can drive it normal or step on it and add. It's not 100 percent of the time unless your foot is in it 100 percent of the time.
OK I have the info you asked for. S/C is off idle boost as opposed to turbo. So 1% or 100% throttle, you will have boots with an S/C !:2tu:

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK I have the info you asked for. S/C is off idle boost as opposed to turbo. So 1% or 100% throttle, you will have boots with an S/C !:2tu:

Sniper,

Do you know what kind of a shot Gen 2 GTS engines can take? I have a 1999/forged. Are they very nitrous friendly engines like the GM LSX Series engines? I am really torn as to getting a Roe Supercharger or a really nice nitrous setup. I will probably spend the same amount on either. What is the most you have sprayed or seen sprayed on a Gen 2 engine?

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sniper,

Do you know what kind of a shot Gen 2 GTS engines can take? I have a 1999/forged. Are they very nitrous friendly engines like the GM LSX Series engines? I am really torn as to getting a Roe Supercharger or a really nice nitrous setup. I will probably spend the same amount on either. What is the most you have sprayed or seen sprayed on a Gen 2 engine?
200HP Shot is safe and reliable on a forged stock motor, and NX rates their HP at the wheels. :2tu:
Make sure to get a window switch and a pcm OBD2 port programmer to prevent timing advance beyond 20 degrees when using nitrous, or detonation and or sneezing will be a serious issue...

Last edited:

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
200HP Shot is safe and reliable on a forged stock motor, and NX rates their HP at the wheels. :2tu:
Make sure to get a window switch and a pcm OBD2 port programmer to prevent timing advance beyond 20 degrees when using nitrous, or detonation and or sneezing will be a serious issue...

I know using a VEC2 or VEC3 would be the way to go, but what OBD2 programmers would be a good one for messing with the timing? Would the SCT handheld programmer be able to let you adjust things like that, or is it just a plug in and load a new program and that's it?

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Also, how do you think the engine would handle a 300 shot while running an alcohol injetion kit?

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know using a VEC2 or VEC3 would be the way to go, but what OBD2 programmers would be a good one for messing with the timing? Would the SCT handheld programmer be able to let you adjust things like that, or is it just a plug in and load a new program and that's it?
Absalutely, I have three tunes in my SCT programmer that allows me to plug into my OBD2 port and change from two advance timing and fuel mods and one timing advance limiter with fuel mod.:D And it retains my Stock program as well.