Official 2012 Tail of the Dragon Thread

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you had that kind of numbers!! I know that we had a couple of guys planning on participating.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great weekend! Weather couldn't have been better. Best of all no major incidents and everyone had fun once the fog cleared! Ed had new jokes. Thanks to Tim and Shirley and Brett for making all the arrangements. Folks from all over the country were there and, when I find my camera, I'll post a picture.

By the way, those of you who plan to come to Todd and Penina's Ranch get together make those reservations soon. Holiday Inn Express in Dayton TN 423-570-0080 Don't wait and miss the fun on July 21st. and 22nd (Saturday and Sunday) We told the hotel folks some of you may want to come in Friday night the 20th. Sure to be pictures and tales of the Tail of the Dragon. DON'T miss it!

AIRBNDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow ...what a weekend ..We came ..We drove .. We got the Tee Shirt ... got Sunburned ... can't wipe the smile off my face !.Great bunch of people !! Thank you to all who had a hand in making it happen
You must be registered for see images attach
" SNAKES IN THE PIT "

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a great weekend!! Thanks for all the work and planning that went into this AWESOME event!! Made the 12 hour drive well worth it. Will be back next year for sure!! You ALA./TENN. guys sure are lucky to have roads like that!! See you all again next year!!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a blast as usual. I've got some pics I'll get put up soon.
I'm working on editing some videos now to take out the "slow" times and also to protect the identities of the guilty. ;)
It takes a while to go through them and then even longer to "publish" them in HD so I can post them on youtube. I'll add links as I get them uploaded.

Slimmach1234

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I absolutely had a blast! I'm glad I got to run with the group I did, they really had me pushing the car. Great learning experience. I can't wait till next year.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a couple of quick little runs after lunch. Now get some decent damn tires on the Lotus and we'll try it again! ;)

Of course, sometime besides next year's VCA meet. Gotta bring the Viper next year.

Last edited:

Slimmach1234

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm dealing with LSD Motorsports trying to get lighter wheels and Toyo R888's. Trying to track down a front coil over and ordering a stronger clutch. I've decided to order Motons for the Viper and some exhaust so I'll be ready later this year. It just takes a little time when you have two. I did drive the Viper Friday but I couldn't pass up a good run against some Vipers to get a feel for how fast it is against a real car! ; )

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap! Great trip for me. I hope you guys smelled the ripping tire rubber! lol

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another excellent weekend!!! (Despite Friday's rain). We had 12 states represented and roughly 36 Vipers each day (42-45 different attendees) along with a few exotics (the Townsend Police car was not included).
Thanks to all who attended...the attendees make or break the event and I don't think there were too many disappointments this weekend! New friends were made and we found some new trails to blaze next year.
Special thanks to the Morrison's, Ackley's, M. Scherzberg, M. Chambers and M. Birchfield for their extra contributions to make sure everyone had a good time. Tim, you hit a home run with the alternate route and Gordon's last-minute run up the Rattler (US 209, look it up!) was icing on the cake.

Good feedback on the accommodations (excellent location! great parking! not-so-great-but-who-cares breakfast) and doing it with police ******. We cut up more this year than normal and I think folks liked it in the parade. In summary, we started Friday at the Dragon's head (Tellico Plains), went up his spine, across his back (in the clouds...literally), down his spine, through his intestines (7 mile polyp-filled "shortcut") and down hisTail. He managed to sideswipe a couple of cars with that tail before we all did a scenic River Road return to G'burg. Saturday had a set of hard-core repeats of Friday while a larger group did the Blue Ridge Parkway to Wheels Through Time Museum. The day was topped off with a totally unmolested run of "The Rattler", which is more suited to our vehicle than the wicked Tail. Next year's planning crew has already started looking at other parts of the Rattler to conquer, so get ready! The Parade was great and we couldn't have asked for a better ending with parking and a restaurant. Gatlinburg police and restaurant personnel did a great job accommodating our group!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anybody else take the long way home like I did? I ran our entire Friday itinerary in from the end to the beginning on Sunday since the weather was so nice.
The Dragon wasn't as crowded as I expected and I pretty much had the road to myself from 129 south of the Dragon and all the way across the Skyway to Tellico. :)

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing time indeed. The whole BRP, TOTD, and the other drives. I'll get some pics up soon.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^Hahaha^^^

I managed to get 3 videos edited and posted to youtube. The problem is, I allowed youtube to "stabilize" the vids, and now they are completely unwatchable! I tried using their "revert to original" option, but it still has their attempt at stabilization on there. Btw, their solution for stabilize small vibrations in the video is to make it look like you're moving the camera all over the place. Do not ever use it!

After I re-edit, re-format, and re-upload the vids (they are so big I have to delete them after I upload them to keep my computer running), I'll post a link to them.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks also to Scott and Warren (GA VCA) for bringing the commemorative t-shirts !
I'll see if Lisa will let me post a pic of hers. (x-small,..... and wet.) :D

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Chip! ;)

I started a new "after" thread in the "General Viper Discussions" for people to post more pics, vids, and discuss the good time had by all!
I've got 4 videos on there, but I'm really waiting to see the ones from the Green ACR from FL (sorry, I can't recall his name right now). I know he has some good ones, including one of our illustrious members getting pulled over within 1 second of starting a little roll-on race. lol

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...l-of-the-Dragon-2012!!!?p=3080548#post3080548

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Chip! ;)

I started a new "after" thread in the "General Viper Discussions" for people to post more pics, vids, and discuss the good time had by all!
I've got 4 videos on there, but I'm really waiting to see the ones from the Green ACR from FL (sorry, I can't recall his name right now). I know he has some good ones, including one of our illustrious members getting pulled over within 1 second of starting a little roll-on race. lol

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...l-of-the-Dragon-2012!!!?p=3080548#post3080548
That was Chuck from FL, he should have some great pics and video from his go pro. Cant wait to see them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32