Ohio Viper driver dies in crash..........

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Deepest condolences to the family. Yet another tragedy in the Viper community.

I've only owned a Viper for 14 months and have read way too many articles like this. It's disturbing to say the least.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sad ... looks like front wheel rim was cracked off on the inside - maybe hit a curb (and going fast)

OP
OP
V

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a bit more info. , did any of you Ohio guys know him?

Man killed when car hits tree

Stephen Szucs | The Chronicle-Telegram

Fatal accident county’s second in two days
A 35-year-old South Amherst man was killed when the Dodge Viper he was driving smashed into a tree along Baumhart Road on Sunday evening.
Joseph W. Grisez, of the 8000 block of Rice Road, died from head injuries sustained in the crash after he lost control of the red 2005 Viper convertible just north of Middle Ridge Road after 7 p.m., according to County Coroner Paul Matus. Grisez was pronounced dead at the scene.
Passenger Justin T. Miller, of South Amherst, was transported to Community Health Partners in Lorain and treated for minor injuries. Both men were wearing their seatbelts, according to a report from the Elyria post of the State Highway Patrol.
Mark Davidson and his wife were driving southbound on Baumhart Road when they saw Grisez’s vehicle jump the right-side curb before striking a tree several feet from the right side of the two-lane roadway.
“It happened so fast,” Davidson said. “The car hit that tree and just disintegrated.”
The driver’s side door of the Viper hit the tree with enough force to throw the engine from its compartment.
Davidson said Miller jumped out of the car and immediately began calling for help. Davidson’s wife called 911, and Miller told them that the back tires of the vehicle lost traction when Grisez attempted to shift into another gear.
A section of Baumhart Road was closed for more than an hour while emergency personnel attempted to revive Grisez.
The crash remains under investigation.
Family and friends didn’t wish to comment.

http://www.chroniclet.com/2007/04/30/man-killed-when-car-hits-tree/

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A young man wrecked a Viper here in Dayton Ohio about 3-4 years ago, killing himself and paralyzing his passenger. The story I got was they were doing in excess of 110 on County Line road, and were slowing down. He shifted from 5th to 4th only he hit second, car did exactly what this one did. Went sideways and t-boned a tree.

Best advice was from Grunt in message above - be careful and respectful of these cars. How many of these things have ended up this way ? 30% ???

What a bummer....

John

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad. But by the grace of God......................

I know we weren’t there but, I’ve got to think that before the impact, he and his passenger we’re have the time of their lives.

We need to all keep this in mind when we’re on one of own spirited drives.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
back tires of the vehicle lost traction when Grisez attempted to shift into another gear.

Yep. This is getting a bit awkward. Please learn to release the clutch slowly. (This way you immediately FEEL if it's in the wrong gear before it's too late!) Clutch discs can easily be replaced... (I'm not easy on the gas pedal, but I AM easy on the clutch... flame me if you want! :D )

Peter

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a totally ridiculous statistic!!!

Old news but....

February 23, 2000
INSURANCE LOSSES FOR VEHICLE DAMAGE
ARE WORST AMONG SPORTS CAR MODELS
ARLINGTON, VA

ó Sports cars and luxury cars continue to have the worst claims
losses among passenger cars for crash damage repairs under insurance collision
coverages. Passenger vans have the best loss results. These are the findings
of a new study from the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI).

Worst results: The Dodge Viper, a small sports car, has the worst overall collision
coverage loss experience among 1997-99 model passenger vehicles (see attached
list). The Viperís average loss payment per insured vehicle year, which reflects
both the frequency and size of collision claims, is more than seven times the
average for all cars. Average loss payments per claim exceed $26,000.
ìFor the fourth year in a row, a sports car has the highest overall vehicle
damage, or collision, losses,î says Kim Hazelbaker, HLDI senior vice president.
NEWS RELEASE
DATA INSTITUTE

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 2006...

The table presents vehicles' collision loss experience in relative terms, with 100
representing the average for all passenger vehicles. Thus, a rating of 122 reflects a
collision loss experience that is 22 percent higher (worse) than average while a
rating of 96 reflects a collision loss experience that is 4 percent lower (better) than
average.

Sports Models
Ford Mustang GT convertible 100
Ford Mustang convertible 106
Chevrolet Corvette convertible 112
Porsche 911 convertible 121
Lexus SC 430 convertible 121
Chevrolet Corvette 124
Ford Mustang 127
Ford Mustang GT 134
Porsche 911 Coupe 137
Cadillac XLR convertible 141
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr 148
Nissan 350Z convertible 162
Mazda RX-8 167
Mercedes SL class convertible 167
Nissan 350Z 206
Dodge Viper convertible 865

Full story
http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/DO...cles/Associated Files/2007CostofInsurance.pdf

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 2006...

The table presents vehicles' collision loss experience in relative terms, with 100
representing the average for all passenger vehicles. Thus, a rating of 122 reflects a
collision loss experience that is 22 percent higher (worse) than average while a
rating of 96 reflects a collision loss experience that is 4 percent lower (better) than
average.

Sports Models
Ford Mustang GT convertible 100
Ford Mustang convertible 106
Chevrolet Corvette convertible 112
Porsche 911 convertible 121
Lexus SC 430 convertible 121
Chevrolet Corvette 124
Ford Mustang 127
Ford Mustang GT 134
Porsche 911 Coupe 137
Cadillac XLR convertible 141
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2dr 148
Nissan 350Z convertible 162
Mazda RX-8 167
Mercedes SL class convertible 167
Nissan 350Z 206
Dodge Viper convertible 865

Full story
http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/DO...cles/Associated Files/2007CostofInsurance.pdf
:lmao: :rolaugh: The closest two cars were the Lotus Elise and Maserati... and they're in the 400's! :omg:

Yay! We're king of the hill in one more category! :2tu:

Drive safe ya'll! :drive:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 2006...
average.

Full story

I don't know if I'm understanding this correctly, but the expense of the damage is taken into consideration correct? In which case, the GenI&II hood alone cost more than some cars.

RQ_SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmy6383
Sad story...I read a depressing statistic that one in every six Vipers ends up totaled.

Those collision numbers are something else!

Still, two people on this thread have used figures such as "one in six Vipers" or "30%".

Is there any substance to those numbers or are they just being made up?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These fatalities are very disturbing and unfortunately will end up affecting us all. If the statistics are 1 in 6 or 30% are true (and I seriously doubt it), then our insurance costs are going to go through the roof soon. Personally, I like paying my $91 per month to State Farm (which I feel is still high), but if that number doubles due to these increasing fatality rates, and the car gets recatorized as a Herse then that is a concern for all of us.

Personally, I wish it was manditory that any new Viper owners had to take a Dodge Authorized Viper Performance Driving course and pass it, BEFORE they could pick up their new car for the first time. Go to the course, push the course car and scare the hell out of yourself. Maybe then, people will respect the fine line of what the cars can do and not do.

Yes we get free SRT Track Experience, but make it manditory to attend and pass first. Covers Dodge, covers the car's insurance rating categories and keeps everyone safer in the Viper Community. There are just way too many people out there that have no clue what they are doing or how to handle a car like this or power in general.

Just my two sense. Sorry, if I seem inconsiderate to the situaiton because I am very considerate. My heart goes out to the family and loved ones that he left behind. This just an ever growing problem. Used Viper market will be hard to moderate as well, but it would sure give the VCA some positive media attention and for our Viper community if we at least tried to do something about it, be proactive even though we can only do so much. With supercar powers getting into the 600+HP range now, it is an ever growing problem. Bet a lot of loves ones out there left behind, wished that the deceased at least knew how to drive the car. Accidents happen, but avoidable accidents due to carelessnes or inexperience are what need to stop and stop now. Talking about it and doing nothing is the same as doing nothing.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although many insurance companies use the HLDI information to adjust the
"base rate" for the collision portion of their insurance premiums, the amount of any such
adjustment is usually small. It is unlikely that your total premium will vary more than 10
percent depending upon the collision loss experience of a particular vehicle. If you do
not purchase collision coverage or your insurance company does not use the HLDI
information, your premium will not vary at all in relation to these rankings.​

RQ_SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see no proof in this thread that the one in six number is correct. The other numbers quoted relect the COST of repairing the car which is largely due the cost of the hood.

Thanks, that is what I am trying to get too as well.

The other info shows that Vipers are expensive to repair when damaged, no news to anyone I'm sure, but do nothing to substantiate the crash claims.

And I agree that my personal premium is not significantly affected by a Viper vs. other high end cars, lots of other factors in that equation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave