Oil Dip Stick For '96 GTS

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil Dip Stick For \'96 GTS

I'm trying to stop all the oil leaks on my '96 GTS...noticed that the oil dip stick doesn't stay down in the dip stick tube...it lifts up and lets oil seep out of the tube. Anyone else with a '96 GTS have same problem? I guess the fix is to get a new dip stick that will fit snugly into the tube...anyone know the correct part number for the oil dip stick for a '96 GTS? Saw a Technical Service Bulletin on this that says to be very careful that you get the correct dip stick as different years and coupes vs. convertibles have different oil pan capacities. Anyone who could recommend a fix to the leaking oil or new dip stick part number would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Oil Dip Stick For \'96 GTS

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Though my dip stick fits firmly in it's socket, perhaps the popping off on yours can be attributed to a stuck PCV valve which could build pressure in the crankcase.......

(Pardon the freudianism)</FONT f>

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2 ways to fix this:

1) use a later model dipstick - they made some minor changes

2) Dilusi has a threaded sleeve that you braze on the top of the tube. Then, you swap the stock stamped bell for a sweet anodized aluminum screw-down cap under the t-handle.

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dean,

I would like to just order a new (possibly later model dipstick that's been improved)....what later year should I get the dealer to order that will read the same oil level as my stock '96 stick? I need to be sure a later year will read the same with my '96 GTS stock oil pan. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerryk96GTS:
Dean,

I would like to just order a new (possibly later model dipstick that's been improved)....what later year should I get the dealer to order that will read the same oil level as my stock '96 stick? I need to be sure a later year will read the same with my '96 GTS stock oil pan. Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same prob. on my 96 GTS..

You need the 97 GTS dip-stick tube & Dip-stick..
(sorry dont have a part #)

Its a better design and eliminates the leaking
from the top of the dipstick.

Its relativley easy to install the Tube..

hope this helps
viperbob

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Maybe a comany called P A R T R A C K might come to mind?!?

1) Run a small O-ring UP the dipstick to augment the seal at the top.

2) Replace the whole flippin tube and stick.

3) Use a zip-tie to hold dowm, esp in track events

4) recognize that the 1996-7 OE PCV hose was garbage. Urge you to replace it. Probably slimey-gooey-falling off if OEM.

The 1996 GTS dipstick was indeed a specific part. You may call me for the #

THANK YOU FOR THINKING OF P A R T S R A C K !!

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper Bob,

Thanks for the recommendation.... I assume since you used it on your '96 GTS that the '97 oil tube and dip stick will show the correct oil level in the '96 oil pan....Right?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jerry96GTS

YES..it will indicate the proper level..

dont worry..I did it..and its the best way to go....
and looks stock and un-tampered...

viperbob

email me direct for more questions if you like

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:

3) Use a zip-tie to hold dowm, esp in track events

4) recognize that the 1996-7 OE PCV hose was garbage. Urge you to replace it. Probably slimey-gooey-falling off if OEM.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3) Been there, done that, don't work. It keeps the stick down, but doesn't help the drool.

4) Ditto.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will second JonB's advice on the '96 - '97 PCV hoses. Though ours were not leaking and visually seemed to be okay when handled they indeed were deteriorating into a slimy mess. For relatively small $$ for a set of later model hoses this can easily be rectified. This is a very easy do it yourselfer...

I would also add that we do not have any problems with oil coming up the dipstick tube on either of our '96 coupes, both of which are run hard at Viper Days in Super Stock class. Possible reasons for this include:

- 2000+ oil pans on both cars, modified by Joe Dozzo to add baffles

- 2000+ windage trays, again modified by Joe Dozzo

- 2000+ oil pan gaskets (greatly improved from the original '96 ones)

- oil level religiously kept at mid point of safe area of dipstick (levels too high and too low are BAD!!)

All of these changes are a must in my mind for anyone tracking a pre 2000 car. They are bound to help for any enthustically driven street car as well...

Just my $0.02....

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jerry,
96 Dip stick Part#5245899
96 Dip stick tube Part#5245898
97 Dip stick Part#4763791
97 Dip stick tube Part#4763792
98 Dip stick Part#4763791AC
98 Dip stick tube Part#4763792AC

OK you all can tell Jerry witch one to use?
If it was up to me I'd stick to the 96.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Installed 97 tube and dipstick on my 96- no more leaks - measures oil level correctly.
Did the PVC hoses at same time - no more leaks there.
This was done about 20,000 miles ago.

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB,

Thanks for the additional insight into the '96 GTS oil dipstick issue...also, on another thread I mentioned that the front of my engine was leaking oil and anti-freeze. The dealer finally did show/convince me that a leaking timing cover was the culprit of both leaks...I just wanted to say that your 3,000 mile away diagnosis (sight unseen) that it was the timing cover gasket was correct! You are a Viper magician....thanks again.

Jerry Kircher

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Jerry96
I have the rubber o-rings that slip over the plastic piece and work well to seal the stick. I'll send them free.
Jerry Scott

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just a thought - car could have excessive blow-by. Buy a leak-down tester from Eastwood (mail order). Just sealing the tube could be trying to fix the obvious, not the cause.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jack B is correct, dip stick is the sign of a bigger problem. Too much interal pressure in the crankcase. My 96 has a poor PVC system with all the positive pressure directed to one breather and sucked back into the engine. Every time the car is driven hard the dip stick is out and leaking oil. I've seen cars with springs and every other quick fix, but the real problem related to this symptom is future engine performance, ring seal. Mine was approved for a rebuild on the extended warranty.