Oil Test

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This seems to keep making the rounds again. It's just a very cleverly disguised marketing scheme made to look like a non-biased report. The test fails to replicate the same conditions of your engine...just a goofy rubbing machine.

Your Mobile 1 is just fine. :2tu:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting article. It would be nice to hear the expert's opinion. The problem here is that it is a test done by a magazine contributor and I have no idea of its relevancy to how my engine actually operates. The statement that the Royal Purple "polishes" the bearing would worry me. Polish to me means "wears away" to some degree.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont need any report to tell me what oil to use. All of the umpteen Viper engines I have had apart which used Mobil 1 were EXCELLENT internally, whether stock, high power, street, or track.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not an oil expert but I did do some of my own testing on electric air compressors after a rep from Royal Purple came by to try to sway our company away from our current oil to RP. In the end, I did not see any decrease in amps, lowering of temps, or more rpms....maybe the oil I was already using was very good.

If you think about your motor as a hydraulic pump and not a frictional device, you'll get a better understanding of how the oil works, especially on bearings. If you have any " dry surface to surface" friction on your bearings, they will be toast very quickly...the oil pump creates oil pressure to keep everything apart. Then the spinning of the components actually causes a hydrodynamic wedge (IIRC regarding the term). Like I said, I'm no oil expert, but my previous job gave me access to over a billion dollars worth of construction and over the road equipment and we could follow trends, etc. Oil failures were never a problem as long as the correct oil was used (do not put gear oil in the crankcase, etc.). Running out of oil, blowing a head gasket and contaminating the oil, etc were the failure issues regarding oil.

So if you need to polish your bearings, you'll need a rebuild before you get out of your driveway. Royal Purple may be a "good" oil, but I don't like their marketing. Regarding "designer" oils, I do like Redline as they are very up front about what oil does and what is does not do....no BS marketing, just constant and reliable products. In the Viper, I've used Mobil One since new.

Cheers,
George

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting comments, thanks guys. I too have alwaysused Mobil1 in the race cars but this got me thinking. When I went to the sitethat did the test I found Royal Purple as a site sponsor hmmmm.

Hey where is Tom H. ????? he is the oil guru...........love to hear his take

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I cannot find the posts, If I recall correctly, Tom did not have alot postitive to say about RP. I am NOT saying he bashed it, but his comments reinforced my belief in Mobil 1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456