Ordered my supercharger and install from Woodhouse!

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my paxton supercharger ordered today from Woodhouse, they're going to be picking up the car in the next week or two! Really excited! I'm going to have an air/fuel gauge and boost gauge. I'm thinking about having the air/fuel gauge mounted like below and I guess the boost gauge mounted above the steering wheel I believe + tune. Anything else I should get while I'm at it? Any suggestions?

I really like this setup by viper D held up by suction cups.

6400viper_d_gauges-med.jpg

Below is kellymartin's boost gauge where the battery volt meter goes.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark J. has my 06 Paxton Coupe right now for some additional mods (Quaife w/ 3.55s, 08 Hood, etc. ). He suggested a wideband to keep an eye on the AFR. Here's the gauge they are installing in a MBX pod on the steering wheel. You can probably find a pic of the pod here, I know HISS has the same pod. I'm not aware of any A pillar gauge mounts for the GEN3 cars, and I wouldn't want anything stuck to teh windshield.

AEM - Gauge-Type Wideband UEGO Controller

Good luck.... , and additional mods? Sure, do the Quaife w/ 3.55 gears now while your car is there, or wish you had for the next year until you finally sent it back for one... LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes thats the exact air fuel ratio digital gauge I want, except I think a white face, along with the AEM digital boost gauge. I think I might have the dual pods mounted on the above the speedo.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AEM gauges come with a black and a white face. Mark normally installs the white face on Gen3 cars to match the factory gauges....

cough, cough, get the Quaife, cough....... LOL good luck....

caraholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse installed my supercharger when I got the car new in 2006. They did a fantastic job. They just added the AEM A/F gauge on the steering column. The boost gauge could not be installed in place of the volt meter because all of the gauges behind the dash are one big piece, not individual gauges.

caraholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the run flats and add the PS2 tires and the Moton suspension.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woodhouse installed my supercharger when I got the car new in 2006. They did a fantastic job. They just added the AEM A/F gauge on the steering column. The boost gauge could not be installed in place of the volt meter because all of the gauges behind the dash are one big piece, not individual gauges.

Yep, given what we have to work with on Gen3 cars, I decided that a boost gauge wasn't a priority. I learned that I have a boost gauge built into my ass, higher boost = tighter clenching. Amazingly accurate.. LOL

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea but it seems several people have replaced the volt meter with a/f or boost gauge :
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't know if I want one there though, being that low. I'm leaning more towards a dual pod above the steering wheel or the suction cup mounts by the A pillar. Viper D said his suction cup mounts never have come off in previous posts and that he actually had to pull it really hard to get it to come off when he had to take them off.

I actually don't want my gauges to look stock I want them to catch people's eyes a little bit and for them to know its NOT stock :omg: I already think I wanna change my license plate from "numbr 49" to "750 HP"! Has anybody put supercharged emblem on the rear bumper kinda like the heffner badges or twin turbo badges? Pictures?

Last edited:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to diminish your enthusiasm any, but I had the AEM gauge on my modded SRT-4 years ago and while a quality piece, it's mostly a light show. If your car ran lean because of a fuel problem or something, you'd crack a piston before before the gauge would tell you and you could get off the throttle in time. Once the car is tuned properly, I don't see the need for an A/F ratio gauge.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I dont know that I would be watching the a/f gauge every second anyways, I dont think anybody could. But its better to have it than not!

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, 100% agree, unless I encounter a fuel pump related fuel pressure problem later. More of a preventative maintenance gauge for me..

Most FI guys will say to go with a fuel pressure gauge for the very reason you point out, rather than the A/F.

This thing is going to give me nightmares -->:spider:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boost and fuel pressure are the only gauges you need. Well that and the ass (common sense) feel gauge. Turn the stereo down and listen to your car. If you actually listen to it and be one with the motor, it will tell you everything you need to know. I have always found observant to win over the nanny gauges. A real good ear can sometimes tell a lot more than a bouncy gauge.

Rather than having the gauges hanging out there on the dash column or cutting up the stock gauge locations behind the dash, I don't know why people don't just mount them in the glove box. You are only going to look at them, if the car does not feel right anyway. If you get it tuned properly from the beginning, it should hold that tune for quite a while. At that point you are heading to the dyno to re-tune it anyway. Just a thought!

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anybody bought universal windshield A pillar gauges and retro fit them to the viper a frame? Anybody seen some they think might work that are made for a different car? Since nobody makes them for the viper :(

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most FI guys will say to go with a fuel pressure gauge for the very reason you point out, rather than the A/F.

This thing is going to give me nightmares -->:spider:

Yes, I wanted to see a fuel pressure guage pegged at 100psi under full boost. It was suggested to me that I would rather want a AFR guage, that ultimately it would comfirm correct fuel pressure, et al.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my paxton supercharger ordered today from Woodhouse, they're going to be picking up the car in the next week or two! Really excited! I'm going to have an air/fuel gauge and boost gauge. I'm thinking about having the air/fuel gauge mounted like below and I guess the boost gauge mounted above the steering wheel I believe + tune. Anything else I should get while I'm at it? Any suggestions?

I really like this setup by viper D held up by suction cups.

6400viper_d_gauges-med.jpg

Below is kellymartin's boost gauge where the battery volt meter goes.

Where did you get the stiched leather cover for the dash? I have been looking for something but only found carbon fiber. Thanks

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea but it seems several people have replaced the volt meter with a/f or boost gauge :
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't know if I want one there though, being that low. I'm leaning more towards a dual pod above the steering wheel or the suction cup mounts by the A pillar. Viper D said his suction cup mounts never have come off in previous posts and that he actually had to pull it really hard to get it to come off when he had to take them off.

I actually don't want my gauges to look stock I want them to catch people's eyes a little bit and for them to know its NOT stock :omg: I already think I wanna change my license plate from "numbr 49" to "750 HP"! Has anybody put supercharged emblem on the rear bumper kinda like the heffner badges or twin turbo badges? Pictures?

The only time you really need to know the air fuel ratio is when the engine is running at WOT. You shouldn't take your eyes too far off the road when you are trying to control 700+ horse power. Looking all the way down to where the volt meter was while you are blasting down the road doesn't sound too safe.

Viper D's blitz gauges look cool and are in the optimum location.

- the boost gauge does not give readings in "psi" it show boost in "bar"....1 bar = 14.5 psi

- the A/F gauge is an analog style gauge, too hard to figure out what the air fuel ratio is especially when you are hauling a$$...you need a digital gauge.

I prefer the stock look myself.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to diminish your enthusiasm any, but I had the AEM gauge on my modded SRT-4 years ago and while a quality piece, it's mostly a light show. If your car ran lean because of a fuel problem or something, you'd crack a piston before before the gauge would tell you and you could get off the throttle in time. Once the car is tuned properly, I don't see the need for an A/F ratio gauge.

You need to understand what the gauge is telling you for it the information to have a value. Aside from the gauge giving you a way lean reading if you have a fuel problem. On hotter days you will see richer a/f readings...colder days leaner a/f readings. I like to see mine in the mid 11 range but on some cool days it has got into the 12's. If I see it getting into the 12's I would be a bit more cautious with how hard I push the motor.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boost and fuel pressure are the only gauges you need. Well that and the ass (common sense) feel gauge. Turn the stereo down and listen to your car. If you actually listen to it and be one with the motor, it will tell you everything you need to know. I have always found observant to win over the nanny gauges. A real good ear can sometimes tell a lot more than a bouncy gauge.

Rather than having the gauges hanging out there on the dash column or cutting up the stock gauge locations behind the dash, I don't know why people don't just mount them in the glove box. You are only going to look at them, if the car does not feel right anyway. If you get it tuned properly from the beginning, it should hold that tune for quite a while. At that point you are heading to the dyno to re-tune it anyway. Just a thought!

Why do you need any of the gauges? If your oil pump is failing you will see a drop in oil pressure, if your thermostat is sticking you will notice your engine running hotter.....if you are loosing a fuel pump you might see slightly leaner air fuel readings. The better informed you are about what is happening, the easier it will be to figure out what went wrong.

A boost gauge is certainly not a gauge that you "need" to have. If your belt is slipping and low on boost you are not going to hurt the motor. It is cool to watch though.

I definatly see the need for the fuel pressure gauge.....the obvious problem is where do you put all these gauges.

I feel the a/f gauge is more important than the fuel pressure gauge. Just because you are seeing 100 or so psi at WOT doesn't mean the proper mixture is being pumped into the engine...you could have a problem further down stream with the injectors or the Fuel managment system. With the A/F gauge you know that the whole system is functioning....or not functioning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Illsmoq, I think your an expert since your running a paxton everyday and you've installed them. I've read alot of your posts. I definatly don't want a boost gauge showing me bar readings. These are the two gauges I'm gearing for, this is showing boost not bar right?

What do you think of these? Could I just get them mounted with suction cups? Also have you seen anybody use a generic A frame pillar mount or use a A frame mount for another car that would work on the viper? That way they'd be in the optimum position without suction cups.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that guage reads in PSI. I don't think you will be able to use suction cups with those though....you could bolt them to the pillar using some kind of mount.

MikeR:quack: is running the same air fuel gauge. He's using a mount from A & C performance. That should work.

I don't know of a a pillar gauge pod being available....though I thought MBX was supposed to be making one at some point.

Other than that you would have to fabricate your own pillar pod set up using one of the universal pods kits.

OP
OP
P

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok guys I ordered this universal dual pod A pillar mount.

Woodhouse is going to try and install it and I'll post pics if it works :)

Reaction score
We have installed well over 100 of these have never had a failure with the Paxton dowel pins. If you are going to up the boost then maybe yes, if not I don't think they are needed, but there always other opinions out there and I can do whatever you decide.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang