paint issues--please help

OP
OP
K

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the car is not stuck in race mode anymore. the check engine and ECS lights are off but now the airbag light won't turn off so they can't release the car until a new airbag module is installed and airbag light is off. The module was suppose to be installed on Friday but the part never showed up and the ETA is officially unknown. I will update when appropriate.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I'd be looking for a different car. Sorry to hear that you seemed to have taken the lemon grenade for the rest of us owners. :(

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kris you have more patience than me. I had a major warranty claim with my car but my dealer handled it perfectly and the car was only down for 9 days. I won't go into the details because of how well my dealer handled it and it would just feed the trolls here. But if I didn't have full faith in my dealer, and it sounds like yours isn't as good as mine, I would have pressed for an entirely new car.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 05 F150, the fist oil change and bam I had holes in my cylinder head. That explained the oil spil on my driveway. The dealer had the truck for 35 days!!!!! Installed a new engine as per Ford. Never had a problem after that. Hope it works out for you!!!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kris you have more patience than me. I had a major warranty claim with my car but my dealer handled it perfectly and the car was only down for 9 days. I won't go into the details because of how well my dealer handled it and it would just feed the trolls here. But if I didn't have full faith in my dealer, and it sounds like yours isn't as good as mine, I would have pressed for an entirely new car.

Would you mind sharing via PM? Just out of curiousity

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to read you are going through the buy back.

Great new ride, I have a 12 ZR and love it.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F'ing dealer$h!ts. I have never had a good experience with them. Went through hell with the one near my house and ended up selling the Jeep.

Sorry you had to go through all that.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry the problems could not be fixed. On Aug 10th I posted:

"I hope that the dealership and SRT get this figured out for you quickly and you don't have any more issues. If this isn't resolved in less than 2 weeks, the next flatbed showing up should have a new replacement Viper on it for you. From a marketing standpoint, this is the only smart move SRT should be thinking about if they honestly want to continue selling more Vipers to new owners."

How could Chrysler allow this to go so far and not take care of the issue with at least offering a vehicle exchange? Forget the dealership and their performance, the car was built by Chrysler and obviously has issues that should have been caught before the vehicle even left Detroit.

Like I've stated before, when dealing with mechanical things **** happens, it's how you deal with the situation and resolve the issue that keeps customers coming back. You've been very nice, fair and professional on the forums.....obviously too nice. Now this thread and the Corvette forum thread are going to be the poster child for people to bash the Gen 5 as to why you should not buy one and look elsewhere. I can't see why Chrysler allowed this to turn out so bad from a marketing standpoint.

Enjoy the ZR1, it looks sinister in black.

Cheers,
George

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George,

I have to agree. SRT should have shipped the car back to the factory at a min and fixed the issues there. They could have made Kris really happy and fixed the issue for good.

Now SRT has to eat the cost of the car and has bad press.

Issues arise in factory produced anything, as you said - it is how you handle it. To be fair, SRT has been great in the minor issues I have had.

Harold

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lemon law. Demand new car.

He already went back to a Corvette. Which is a bummer considering.

I wanted to introduce myself as a proud new owner of a 2013 Viper GTS Launch Edition, I got #36. I traded in a 2010 ZR1 and am loving it. I'm not sure about pricing on these cars around the rest of the country but i was able to pick this up in Southern California for about $1,500 below MSRP, I actually saw a couple in SoCal listed above sticker. I went a little nuts modding my ZR1 so I'm going to hold off on any performance mods until I can do more research.

the ZR1 is an awesome car but the interior, technology, handling, build quality, and looks are very behind this viper. I had the LPE 750 package and ARH long tube headers with high flow cats running 15 lbs of boost so the ZR1 was faster with 650 RWHP on 91 and 710 RWHP on 100 (i had two tunes i flashed back and fourth from). I'm sure with a couple of mods this car will be right up there and or faster than my old ZR1 especially with the massive 8.4 liter engine it has! this is my first Viper so forgive me if my questions sound dumb but is it true that i can add headers or ported heads without having to get a tune? Is it true I can use higher ocatne gas and the computer after a couple of run cycles the computer will detect the better fuel and add timing? I've been told that you can't tune the Gen IV or V computers but that the computers can map up and adjust air, fuel, & spark when performance mods are added or better fuel and that if you need more a more aggressive tune you can simply buy a new Mopar race computer and plug it in, is that true? that would save a lot of heart ache of not having to find a good tuner. Also how do you make the pictures in treads larger?

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what killed it for me was this. first 3 days out of the car i got a chrysler 200. second visit was 7 days i got a dodge avenger. 3rd visit 43 days and counting i got a dodge journey. all the while waiting for parts that they were putting in new dealer ordered cars to sit on the lot, 400+ cars by autotraders records. if they won't pull parts off the line form a dealer ordered car that would be used to fix vipers with multipe visits to the dealership for the same issue then they should have 4 or 5 vipers as loaners one in each region of the US ready to be given to owners who are waiting on parts with no ETA. that was the worst, when i would ask the chrysler customer care advisor when the part would be at the dealership and they had no ETA. for the most part It seemed like the dealership knew what the issues were there are just no available parts. Also the door was aligned properly the lip on the drivers door was just longer than it should be.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These things happen. Amazing how many people were involved in trying to resolve so many issues. Once the sour taste begins, it gets even more difficult.

Hope your new Vette is rock solid. You deserve it for what you went through.

I know a little how you feel. My Harley is in the shop right now getting a new engine installed due to manufacturing glitches that escalated into major problems. Hard to have it in the shop with the riding weather so great right now. Guess I will need to suffer and drive the VIPER!

The SoCal club has been doing lots of events with different clubs. Perhaps we will be able to get together in a joint Vette event.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what an absolute farce by SRT they just hand-crafted their own disaster. And to think some people said you are too picky at the beginning of your thread! Issues happen but the way you deal with them? Man now I'm worried about purchasing this car. you really have to just enjoy your ZR1 and best of luck mate.

Last edited:

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember this thread. When the SRT folks actually realize that all of this was their doing, perhaps they will use Kris' car as a case study in how not to operate a business...especially one catered to people who have more education and money than everyone in the marketing department.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper