Paxton owners - GET RID OF YOUR FMU & SPLIT SECOND SETUP AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well thanks to all of Nine Ball's (Tony) stories and videos just driving me crazy, I took the first step to salvation and I dumped the paxton fuel setup and now have my have my paxton Gen 3 tuned with the new injectors, 2 bar MAP, new fuel pump and the SCT. The car put down 718rwhp and 655rwtq on 7-8lbs of boost (stock pulley). Still has the full stock exhaust just without cats. No headers. I also installed a Snow Performance **** injection kit on the car.

The gas mileage improvement when "easy driving" alone was worth the tune. It literally is a totally different car.

The torque now is as flat as a table with 550lbs at 2,500rpms, then hits 600lbs at 3,600 rpms and carries over 600lbs through to 6,000rpm. The drivability and how hard the blower seems to hit now is night and day from what it was prior to the swap. Before tuning it with SCT the car always felt "laggy" and was not smooth at all when the boost came on.

The car picked up 77rwhp and almost 100rwtq in the midrange, and about 65rwhp at the top end.

What made the biggest difference I think with the SCT setup, is that the AVERAGE rwhp from 4,800 to 6,000 rpm is 660rwhp. At 6,000rpm (when we stopped the runs) the rwhp had not flattened out at all and was still climbing....

At 4,500rpm it was already making 570rwhp (that might be more than a Gen IV or V makes at over 6,000rpm). Dumping the FMU and using the SCT is definitely they way to go on these paxton Gen 3's.

I ran a 10.64 @ 137.27 in the 1/4 with it. Stock gears, stock rims and Nitto NT05R's.

Now I just need some forged rods & pistons. With a 10lb pulley I would think it would be close to or just over 800rwhp which would be as far as I would go on a street car. Anything over that and I think too much (i.e. $$$) stuff would have to be addressed in the driveline and other supporting components.

Tony is right that a twin turbo would always be the way to go if you want more than say 800rwhp. But if staying under that power level was okay, for how fun this car is to drive now, the paxton is a simple and fairly inexpensive choice. If I had to do it over again I would have just saved some $$ and just bought a paxton "tuner" kit which is quite a bit less expensive.

Figure all in you could duplicate my car for under $12K.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Paxton owners - GET RID OF YOUR FMU & SPLIT SECOND SETUP AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSI

We have been pushing customers in this direction for years... Good move!

V1PERMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Paxton owners - GET RID OF YOUR FMU & SPLIT SECOND SETUP AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSI

PumpGas

Could you explain exactly what to do for the changeover as well as costs? I have the factory Paxton system on my gen 3 for 10 years now.

Thanks

Well thanks to all of Nine Ball's (Tony) stories and videos just driving me crazy, I took the first step to salvation and I dumped the paxton fuel setup and now have my have my paxton Gen 3 tuned with the new injectors, 2 bar MAP, new fuel pump and the SCT. The car put down 718rwhp and 655rwtq on 7-8lbs of boost (stock pulley). Still has the full stock exhaust just without cats. No headers. I also installed a Snow Performance **** injection kit on the car.

The gas mileage improvement when "easy driving" alone was worth the tune. It literally is a totally different car.

The torque now is as flat as a table with 550lbs at 2,500rpms, then hits 600lbs at 3,600 rpms and carries over 600lbs through to 6,000rpm. The drivability and how hard the blower seems to hit now is night and day from what it was prior to the swap. Before tuning it with SCT the car always felt "laggy" and was not smooth at all when the boost came on.

The car picked up 77rwhp and almost 100rwtq in the midrange, and about 65rwhp at the top end.

What made the biggest difference I think with the SCT setup, is that the AVERAGE rwhp from 4,800 to 6,000 rpm is 660rwhp. At 6,000rpm (when we stopped the runs) the rwhp had not flattened out at all and was still climbing....

At 4,500rpm it was already making 570rwhp (that might be more than a Gen IV or V makes at over 6,000rpm). Dumping the FMU and using the SCT is definitely they way to go on these paxton Gen 3's.

I ran a 10.64 @ 137.27 in the 1/4 with it. Stock gears, stock rims and Nitto NT05R's.

Now I just need some forged rods & pistons. With a 10lb pulley I would think it would be close to or just over 800rwhp which would be as far as I would go on a street car. Anything over that and I think too much (i.e. $$$) stuff would have to be addressed in the driveline and other supporting components.

Tony is right that a twin turbo would always be the way to go if you want more than say 800rwhp. But if staying under that power level was okay, for how fun this car is to drive now, the paxton is a simple and fairly inexpensive choice. If I had to do it over again I would have just saved some $$ and just bought a paxton "tuner" kit which is quite a bit less expensive.

Figure all in you could duplicate my car for under $12K.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Great results, for those considering this, its all in the tuning. You will need someone like Tony or vendor here to get it right.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lots of little (and some not so little) tips and tricks an experienced tuner will use to bring a Naturally aspirated, Paxton or Turbo Viper to making good power and still being very drivable.

Dan Cragin put a Paxton on my 03 and it ran flawlessly for tens of thousands of miles with fantastic power, drivability, reliability and fun.

The formula for adding power to a Viper is to take into consideration how it is going to be used and driven. A tuner then can put together the boost, fuel, electronics, and internal components to provide a satisfying package.

Some only want dyno numbers only and that can become a frustrating driving experience.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad I could help you with your questions on this. I really disliked the FMU/Split-Second/Aux pumps on the Paxton kit. The car would make impressive peak dyno hp numbers, but get drug on the highway by cars making 100 hp less. No throttle response at all, felt like turbo lag. Couldn't tune around the external pumps kicking in, momentarily flooding the engine. That fuel system in the Paxton kit is garbage. Not to mention all the possible leak points with those rubber hoses and crimp bands.

If you have a Paxton installed in your Viper, do yourself a favor and install a proper fuel system with proper sized injectors, in-tank pumps, and a regulator. Then get the car dyno tuned with SCT software. It will be a completely different car, with instant and crisp throttle response and linear power delivery.

Tony

V1PERMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great info, but who can tune and do this in the South Florida area?

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll take a quick stab at pricing:
Dual fuel pumps 700
http://www.racingsolutions.com/prod...nger-kit-for-dodge-viper-gen-3-2003-2006.html

Injectors 500
http://www.racingsolutions.com/prod...ctor-set-for-dodge-viper-gen-3-2003-2006.html

SCT programmer 400
http://www.racingsolutions.com/cate...-2003-2006/electronics/engine-management.html
(Don't believe this comes with the tuner software license, so have to pay to get tuned. No idea on tune pricing or how much a shop like A&C would charge for some maps and mail order tunes)

2 bar map sensor I think is easily less than 100 bucks, Maybe even 50

My guess is you can spend about 2k for parts and tuning. Install might be extra if you don't do it yourself. Am I close?

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just had my car done at Macedo in Longwood FL. When I went by this past Thursday to pick up some more boost juice (methanol) there were 2 more paxton Vipers there getting what he calls the "700" package. One of the cars had like 29,000 miles on it (which I thought was quite a bit) and that car was setup exactly like mine (but with headers) and it made over 720RWHP. So far I think he had done like 5 or 6 of these "swaps" very recently. I raced a buddy of mine last week after my install, he has a stock paxton setup on a 2004 and we used to be pretty much dead even in 3rd and 4th gear pulls. It was an easy 4-5 car length spread from 80-140. He is dropping his car off there today.....

V1PERMAN - all the FMU, Split Second and extra fuel pumps are removed. Then you get a 2 bar MAP sensor, a new set of injectors (not sure what lbs.), a new high flow fuel in tank fuel pump and a SCT Tuner. Here in the Florida heat, he (Larry) also installs a methanol injection system too, to combat the heat (not sure if that is required though, but I did it for the extra peace of mind). The swap took just 2 days plus the dyno time.

On a positive note, apparently these paxton SRT's are like clones, as every single one puts down right at, or just over 700rwhp with this swap. But it's not even the extra power that is nice, it's the overall drivability change in the car. I said it up above, but it is worth repeating, it is like a totally different car. Very smooth transitions from no boost, to boost, with an almost positive displacement blower hit.

The nice thing is that SCT is right here where I live in Orlando so from a support standpoint, can't be beat!

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ive been saying it for years...

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yep basically the exact same thing. I just have one larger fuel pump though. That kit is a little on the pricey side for just the parts. If it was a parts, install and tune price that would be good.

Last edited:

Will at RSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It depends on how you want to do the full setup. That kit is a couple pumps, injectors, sct, and a boost activation switch for the extra fuel pump. It would be better than the Paxton base parts, but not really what I would recommend for a boosted Viper.

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Correct Will, I think the single Walboro in-tank pump like I have is the better way to do it so there is no boost activation switch. The car is just tuned using the SCT for all scenarios. I think my pump and injectors are good for close to 800rwhp.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe it's the new bigger walbro pumps but the old walbro pump 255 ** pumps in my Hondas would max out a single in tank pump around 600ish WHP on boost. I know we started going to the Bosch 044 pumps which supported more power.

Supposidly a couple new fuel pumps will be introducted to the market shortly.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys, don't want to hijack the thread but want to ask a few quick question as to if the SCT tuner and programs have been set up for the older gens as well? I have a 96' RT/10 Gen 1.5 and have been considering a future Paxton install. I have been hesitant as the FMU, electronics, etc. was always a concern for me as well as I still have to pass emission in this part of Colorado with the car. Right now all it has on is Borla Cat-Back and KN Stage II Intake set-up. I have brand new NOS Edelbrock CARB Compliant Ceramic Headers in a box ready to go on the car too. That said, without crazy changes in pulleys/boost, etc. does the stock Paxton kit with these recommended fuel, electronics and methanol changes still come close to passing emissions?

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am sure if you had cats on the car, it would pass emissions. Larry has been doing this type of conversion now for just about 5 years for the SRT Vipers. Since SCT is about 15 minutes from his shop the support from them is very good.

TangeloPearl

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't think I'm ready to give up on my Vec 2 yet.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Correct Will, I think the single Walboro in-tank pump like I have is the better way to do it so there is no boost activation switch. The car is just tuned using the SCT for all scenarios. I think my pump and injectors are good for close to 800rwhp.

Agreed. However, there is a lot more to fuel modules than most anyone else would like to admit. For the easiest plug-and-play Gen-3 setup, just drop in a Gen-4 pump. The G3 pump with good injectors is good for about 650-700 boosted RWHP, but the G4 will handle a good bit more. The G3 is a 255 based module, while the G4 is a 400 based module. Generally, we use G3 pump modules up to 750HP, G4 pumps up to ~1000HP, and beyond 1000, we use modified G2/G3 modules w/external pump feed/return, while still retaining the OE pump in place. The G2/G3 modules lend themselves to modification much more than G4. Not however, you CANNOT delete or change the OE pump in any module except Gen-4, as the OE G1/2/3 pumps are a dual-stage pump, which scavenges AND pumps to the engine. If you remove the scavenge function, you ruin the canisters surge capability. Gen-4 has the scavenge stage built into the module rather than the pump, so its pump can indeed be altered... though doing so is pointless as the 400 is just about the biggest pump that can be fit in there.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Maybe it's the new bigger walbro pumps but the old walbro pump 255 ** pumps in my Hondas would max out a single in tank pump around 600ish WHP on boost. I know we started going to the Bosch 044 pumps which supported more power.

Supposidly a couple new fuel pumps will be introducted to the market shortly.

You will get a bit more on Vipers due to the low boost that these numbers happen at not fighting fuel flow.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Guys, don't want to hijack the thread but want to ask a few quick question as to if the SCT tuner and programs have been set up for the older gens as well? I have a 96' RT/10 Gen 1.5 and have been considering a future Paxton install. I have been hesitant as the FMU, electronics, etc. was always a concern for me as well as I still have to pass emission in this part of Colorado with the car. Right now all it has on is Borla Cat-Back and KN Stage II Intake set-up. I have brand new NOS Edelbrock CARB Compliant Ceramic Headers in a box ready to go on the car too. That said, without crazy changes in pulleys/boost, etc. does the stock Paxton kit with these recommended fuel, electronics and methanol changes still come close to passing emissions?

1996's are OBD-2 and as a result can certainly be set up like this via SCT.

A properly set up system would not have an issue with emissions.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Drive one done correctly... and it will be off the car faster than you can re-type that sentence. Smoother, more capability, and far and above more reliable. The only reason that the VEC-2's are remotely reliable is that this is a VIPER application. If these were rain/snow/salt driven cars, a VEC would not last a single season- it is a very exposed install, and very unforgiving towards contamination. SCT 2-Bar is up to OEM Specifications.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Vec is VERY user friendly. You can tune the car yourself if you want. With the SCT, you have to wait on a tuner like VSP or DLM to send you a tune. Not cool.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Vec is VERY user friendly. You can tune the car yourself if you want. With the SCT, you have to wait on a tuner like VSP or DLM to send you a tune. Not cool.

Get the Pro-Racer package, and nope, you don't :)

Also, regardless, when a car is properly tuned, it should be a set-it-and-forget-it operation. Doesn't apply to everyone, but most people who aren't at least extreme hobbyists are not going to really "tune" anything themselves anyway.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought the SCT software to be able to tune my car myself. Like Dan said though, once it is tuned I haven't messed with it in over year.

TangeloPearl

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So tell me this, I am putting down 700hp now and in the future would like to do a forged bottom end putting down as close to 1000hp as possible. What would be the best fuel pump of choice for running my set up now and bumping it up in the future? Thanks

OP
OP
P

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Okay now that the thread is all hi-jacked up, my point was that a SCT tune on ANY paxton Gen 3 is the way to go, PERIOD. Any other setup is antiquated at best and the drivability and power delivery on boost is nowhere even close. It would be the best $$ you ever spent on a paxton car.

If you know anyone that has done this conversion, take a ride in their car and it will be all over for you. You will be dropping your car off to a shop as soon as you find one.

I would go so far to say that if the guys who traded or sold their Gen 3, to buy a Gen 4, had their Gen 3 setup like this (assuming they had a blown Gen 3), they probably would not have done it. I have driven both, and a SCT paxton Gen 3, runs much better than even a full bolt on Gen 4 (headers, exhaust, gears, tune etc. etc).

For those guys thinking about bolting a paxton on their Gen 3, just order the less expensive tuner kit from paxton and go the SCT fuel/tune route from day 1. Will save you considerable $$.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

So tell me this, I am putting down 700hp now and in the future would like to do a forged bottom end putting down as close to 1000hp as possible. What would be the best fuel pump of choice for running my set up now and bumping it up in the future? Thanks

Flywheel or Rear Wheel? That makes all the difference.

Reaction score

Great info, but who can tune and do this in the South Florida area?

V1PERMAN,
With consideration of a knowledgeable tuner, the Split Second box and Paxton fuel pumps can make THE SAME hp numbers as the SCT Flash unit. Again, this is for a tuner that has the Split Sec experience to achieve any numbers of the same.

Additionally, the only limit to the Split Sec box is the engine configuration, i.e., stock, built, heads, cam.

Best Regards,
Doug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235