Problem with my Viper

Martin Kennedy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was driving my Viper "00 GTS" on a hot Texas morning after playing a round of Golf. I drove about 2 miles made 1 stop for about 5 minutes and then drove about 5 miles more headed home, going about 40 mph when all of a sudden the car started backfiring and sputtering and lurching pretty badly. I tried to accelerate and the problem continued. Fortunately I was about a mile from home and made it there, with my car continuing to exhibit the same problem.
Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm going to try it later in the day to see if I have the same problem.
I also looked for any signs of tampering with the gas cap( looking for signs of sugar or anything else) but found nothing. I've never had my fuel system tampered with or contaminated before but is it a possibility? How many miles would you go before problems develop if this did happen?
Any input would be appreciated.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the fuses in the trunk. I believe there is one that has something to do with fuel delivery. It popped out on a friend of mines Viper. Sounds like the same problem.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had similar symptoms too when a spark plug wire fell off the plug. Running on 9 cylinders exhibits the same problems. Simple and probably not your problem but worth the check.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin, I'm inclined to agree with "phiebert"! I'd be looking for a cylinder that is not firing [wire off or bad wire].

jonb-Are you over stocked with batteries again? Because it seems like you run a lot of SALES on them!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper Wizard:
jonb-Are you over stocked with batteries again? Because it seems like you run a lot of SALES on them!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PartsRack does not sell batteries.. Have never sold even one! (Shipping headaches.)

We HAVE sold a truckload of hi-temp 8.5mm wires though, and I agree that a wire could be at fault, esp if it was oldar than a '00......

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my '94 RT/10. I purchased some plug wires from Jon B. and the problem was solved.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When all puzzles are examined, there is a 70% chance it is battery related. The last car I encountered did exactly as you describe. It was a 2000 GTS. Why:

1) Unseen Water leak in LR deck shorted out radio amp and drained thru to battery box.

2) Amp shorted and battery corrosion affected ECU voltage.

3) Car did what yours did. [Turn 7, PIR. Me right-seat. YIKES!]

4) Replaced battery, not seeing the other problems....car ran fine for weeks. A few wet weeks later, problem returned......

5) Battery replaced again, leak found/fixed, amp fixed, car fixed.

BATTERIES cause much unseen/unknown grief !

OP
OP
M

Martin Kennedy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I pulled the cover off from the fuel pump fuses and checked those and gave each one a push, although they seemed perfectly seated. Took the beast for a drive, and everything was fine. I am going to follow up on Jons thought and check the battery condition when I get back from a business trip just to be sure that are no issues there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte