Problems with Random Tech Cats

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I brought my car to Larry Macedo's for the SC install and we just happen to be looking underneath the car and I saw a hole in one of the cats... Right where the hanger is...
I guess the hanger broke off ........

Really ****** me off since I thought these were a quality product...

Has anybody else had similar issues?

Joe

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
almost everyone that runs those has that problem at some point. Just weld it back up. The problem is that they eliminate the flex pipe and when the engine torques over it put a lot of stress on them.

I upgraded my engine mounts and the engine hardly moves, the car feels much tighter as well. Some will say you run the risk of damaging the block by running the mounts...I've had them close to 10K miles and it would be the first mod on my next car.

Anyway just weld the pipes, you'll be fine.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Illsmoo. I have 15000 miles on harder engine mounts and the competition transmission mount with no problems. I went a step further and welded up the hole on the drivers side pipe but removed the two mounts and the rubber hanger completely.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry told me that with the stock motor and the paxton... The random techs would make it run lean anyway... So I will be taking them off and replacing them with the stock cats..

He said that if I was upgrading the fuel system..then i could keep them in......

Looks like I am going to get some of the heat back :(

Joe

crazyfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm...I realize he is a respected tuner (though I have followed Kennys story) but it's all in the tune. I'm running the Paxton, headers, no cats and a custom no cross over exhaust. I had Dan @ DC Performance do a very conservative blower flash for me and I put the larger FCU disc in....I am very happy with the results. Out of the gate, as I get into boost the A/F drops to 11.2 and climbs to 11.8 by the rev limiter. More power can be had but I chose to keep it safe. DC Performance did a great job putting the tune right were I asked them to put it.

I'd talk to Larry again before you decide to choke your exhaust system back up.

Thanks for the help Dan :2tu:

Larry told me that with the stock motor and the paxton... The random techs would make it run lean anyway... So I will be taking them off and replacing them with the stock cats..

He said that if I was upgrading the fuel system..then i could keep them in......

Joe

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe

In all respect that is not true. the ECM will adapt to a certain degree for the new cats. We have installed lots of these with over 100,000 total miles with zero problems except the hanger problem. For the best tune go with the DC Reflash.

OP
OP
S

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was that with a paxton installed?????

Just to be clear that's with a paxton and random techs....

Joe

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the 2nd time in 3 months this has happened to me. im really fed up. just noticed yesterday this has happened to me again. they replaced them the first time but i ended up paying almost $300 in labor. not paying labor again on something thats just junk!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me ask you something: If there were a better cat op

tion that cost less, would you be interested in it? I burned up a few RT cats myself so i've been researching the development of a new cat for the viper community. What I'm trying to figure out: If I produce a better flowing cat that is still hi-flow, that is emissions legal, and that is cheaper, will people be interested in it?

JD

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for it Joseph! Remember you will need to have a C.A.R.B. approval. One should not have to install comp motor and tranny mounts so that the RT cats won't tear a hole in themselves. They know they have a problem and have done nothing to correct their defectively engineered product. A side note is that my modded viper pas the CT Emissions test with flying colors with the Rt Cats

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go for it! dont forget to add a flex pipe...thats the only thing RT needs to do to perfect their cat on the SRT. its very simple.