Pulled over for race car on street

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a 09 Yellow and Black ACR but I am afraid I might get pulled over and inspected everytime I drive it. :D:drive::D Has anyone ever been pulled over because a cop thought their car was a race car and not street legal?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many of us get pulled over so that the cop can take a closer look at our cars. In Montana I got pulled over for going 95mph while I was actually going 82mph. I thin the cop wanted to see the Sapphire Blue closer. He also warned me to be careful of the many Deer that were getting hit on freeways. Counted about 6 Deer splashes that day's driving.

Thanks officer.

Ted

OP
OP
J

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
true... I have been pulled over for cool car violation. Has anyone been ticketed for "excessive show of power" I have been told there is such a ticket in some areas.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone been ticketed for "excessive show of power" I have been told there is such a ticket in some areas.

got one in east Texas in the early '80s but it was called "demonstration of speed" :omg:

judge ask me if i was racing :nono:

answered truthfully and then was introduced to insurance risk pool

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
true... I have been pulled over for cool car violation. Has anyone been ticketed for "excessive show of power" I have been told there is such a ticket in some areas.

When I lived in Alberta I got a ticket for "stunting" which was defined as, " distracting the attention of another." Yah, covers pretty much anything and everything.

Ted

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about....??

viper_14.jpg

003.jpg

I dont think you have anything to worry about....:D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a 09 Yellow and Black ACR but I am afraid I might get pulled over and inspected everytime I drive it. :D:drive::D Has anyone ever been pulled over because a cop thought their car was a race car and not street legal?

If ya figure out how to get a yellow 09 ACR, let me know...that color combo isn't being offered in '09. :(

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I lived in Alberta I got a ticket for "stunting" which was defined as, " distracting the attention of another." Yah, covers pretty much anything and everything.

Ted

I know many women that could be charged with that while driving! :wow:

Robert

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've never been pulled over in our 'old' yellow/black ACR...and it definitely looks like a race car. Come to think of it, I guess it is a race car.

20070424_0006.JPG

In 9 seasons of Viper driving and close to 90,000 miles I have learned that all Vipers run the risk of being pulled over for all the reasons stated. There's a very good chance that meeting a trooper on the road will prompt a radio call ahead to alert his peer group that there's a Viper coming. It's happened to us many times. I've only had 2 tickets in my Viper time. Both were because we were in the Viper. In one case, We were completely singled out of the middle of a pack of several cars running 10 over. I also learned a valuable lesson from the other ticket. If you plan on running with your driving lights on...as many do...and I always did. Don't be speeding. The MI state trooper flat out told me the only reason he shot me from a distance off was because of the wide set driving lights. He had never seen lights that big, that low, and that far apart before. He deduced it had to a sports car and shot me. 74/55, but he let me go for 5 over. Luckily I had been on the brakes hard after running my new 3.45s up into triple digits. He happened to come around a corner way in front of me as I was on the binders. I never drive with those lights on anymore when there's any chance I might go fast.

Steve

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

As mentioned, the rareness of the Viper provokes curiosity from many people....but only COPS can flag you down!

I have been stopped 5-6 times 93-95 because my front vanity plate is inside the windshield. This was the PC for the stop, but early-on the cop admitted they just wanted to see my Viper. THREE OF THOSE STOPS MENTIONED MY BALD-LOOKING RACE TIRES!!!!

In 96-99 I towed my 96 GTS to PIR behind my Indy Ram, every other Spring-Summer weekend. So when the cops saw me DRIVING it, no front plate affixed, I was again stopped several times because they assumed the loud GTS was a 'race car' and no front plate. Again, the "bald tires" were noted a couple times......(must be in Cop-101 manual) I explained the DOT nature of the tires,

I never, EVER got a ticket for these 'curiosity stops' or for any other reason in my Vipers. One State Trooper even let me laser oncoming traffic to see what I was up against! Attitude Matters

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Street-legal race car or race-legal street car.... what's the difference? LOL

The line tends to blur.

And what can they say anyway? I think the only thing they would think to bug you about might be too high decibels from exhaust... tinted windows if they're there... or non DOT tires. Without going over the car or busting out a mirror, there's no way for them to know the legality or not of the parts on the car. Just try not to downshift so violently in front of them that you spew flames from the pipes next time. :D

On a side note, I always thought it would be cool as heck to buy a Competition Coupe and put it on the street every now and then for fun. Borrow some dealer or repair tags from a buddy and go rip havoc on the country roads. :2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe for you, but ladies also flag down Vipers ;)

LOL...and so do MEN~! ;) HAH! :D ~juli
Heck, ANY Viper gets the 'whiplash' effect from anyone...why not go for the MOST extreme VIPER out there: THE ACR!!!! If you CAN, why not??? :dunno: GO FOR IT!
~juli

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a ticket for "excessive tire noise" when I was a bit younger for doing a burn out on Main Street and didn't notice the cop right behind me. As soon as he turned on his lights I could see them even through the clouds of tire smoke.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a ticket for "excessive tire noise" when I was a bit younger for doing a burn out on Main Street and didn't notice the cop right behind me. As soon as he turned on his lights I could see them even through the clouds of tire smoke.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'd say you're lucky you didn't get a "display of speed" or wreckless driving ticket! Too funny.

Last edited:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a side note, I always thought it would be cool as heck to buy a Competition Coupe and put it on the street every now and then for fun. Borrow some dealer or repair tags from a buddy and go rip havoc on the country roads. :2tu:
I have a friend in Toronto who claims to have seen a Comp. Coupe on the streets up there.
I grilled him with specs/details/pictures and the "are you SURE?" line.
He swears up and down it was a white Comp. Coupe.

The beautiful irony is that my friend was in a Smart car next to him. :)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the white part, but Wayne in Toronto does have a red and white one, and it is street legal now!:D:drive:

He also ownes the 2002 Blue ACR VCA raffle car!!

His user name is Wayne Finch.

Robert

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe that I have not been pulled over yet! I guess when they see an old guy (43) driving, they don't bother!

You must be registered for see images

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't been pulled over yet it's probably due to that front plate...and good luck.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, here in Connecticut on I-95. Told me I accelerated to fast and wrote me a $400.00 ticket. Judge threw it out as there was no written police report on file.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456