Ralph wants/needs an automatic

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest that no one here has a clue what SRT's vision is, never-mind what they'll announce or introduce a month from now. All we know is what they say, and that's not much as one would expect. If they were working on a DCT tranny they'll keep it under wraps until the last possible moment. What they're saying at the moment is no DCT, and if that's what you need go buy something else...which, in your case, you did!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, what part of these simple words did you miss?

"The sad thing is that the number of people who care about that goes down every day."

Be real,one of the reasons very few people are buying Vipers is because it is only is offered in manual...Do you really think technology will go backwards ...DCT and Technology is the way forward and if SRT does not embrace this ,Viper will fail,sooner than later..

GM is moving forward with the C7 Z06,that car will be a record setter on the quarter mile and track...SRT closed plant and no forward vision...

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Different cars for different purposes and different sensory experiences. The cars with all the latest "self driving" gizmos cannot produce the same sensory experience as a Viper.

The sad thing is that the number of people who care about that goes down every day. No surprise though. It fits right in with the entitlement mentality that has infected many, if not most, in this country.

One reading of some of the posts regarding automatic type trannies is: "Why should I have to think and shift when I can have "someone" ( in this case equipment and a computer) do it for me. I am entitled to be able to drive fast and look like I know what I am doing even if I do not know what I am doing."
Bob, while I agree with you, we do need to be careful. ABS when introduced has the exact same responses from people. Do I want to go back to non-ABS, no way, not ever.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed nothing.... I do not believe for a minute Fiat/Dodge/SRT does not for knowledge and recourses to put a DCT in a new Viper if they wish... DCT, Convertible and unlock that computer and offer after market high performance parts and they will sell all the Vipers they can make.... Do nothing and Viper will be gone next year...

As for Gen.5 collector status, that will not happen. I believed that stuff with my show room B/W 97 GTS w 1000 miles on it.Had it for 7 years,still took a beating when sold it and it not a collector item even today...

I personally spend huge amounts of money on real toy cars and could care less about resale. I buy them because I want them. The reason I am pushing so hard to get these improvements is because I am and many friends want to buy a new Viper and only want a DCT and be able to add some HP parts without that CEL....

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't imagine somebody placing that much importance on a DCT in a car as unique and appealing as the Gen V. I can see having preferences, absolutely, and if somebody couldn't physically operate a manual they would be delighted to just have a automatic as an option, but I can't see them having lost many sales because of it, and not sure the Viper's future would be any rosier in 2015 if they miraculously came up with one.

Most of my friends are high performance driving track rats, and while a number of us own 3 or more track cars, we don't seem to care about DCT's at all. The tech guru among us had to have the GTR for all it's tech goodness including DCT, and soon after said how his sports cars with manuals felt like dinasaurs in comparison. He just bought a new Stingray with manual that he also plans to track, and is already talking about maybe selling the GT-R. I guess a DCT does not make the car for him either anymore.

Here's a review of the new Z28 with dinasaur stick being compared to your DCT P-Turbo and GT-R Track Edition, and the reviewer's comments about the manual. It's going to be a very long, long time before the manual becomes extinct among the over-whelming majority of hard-core enthusiasts that buy cars like the Viper me thinks. Still, I hope they incorporate a DCT and other changes to appeal to those with other interests, but I'm not pinning my hopes for the future of the car to them.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...8_porsche_911_turbo_s_nissan_gt_r_comparison/

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just can't imagine somebody placing that much importance on a DCT in a car as unique and appealing as the Gen V. I can see having preferences, absolutely, and if somebody couldn't physically operate a manual they would be delighted to just have a automatic as an option, but I can't see them having lost many sales because of it, and not sure the Viper's future would be any rosier in 2015 if they miraculously came up with one.

Most of my friends are high performance driving track rats, and while a number of us own 3 or more track cars, we don't seem to care about DCT's at all. The tech guru among us had to have the GTR for all it's tech goodness including DCT, and soon after said how his sports cars with manuals felt like dinasaurs in comparison. He just bought a new Stingray with manual that he also plans to track, and is already talking about maybe selling the GT-R. I guess a DCT does not make the car for him either anymore.

Here's a review of the new Z28 with dinasaur stick being compared to your DCT P-Turbo and GT-R Track Edition, and the reviewer's comments about the manual. It's going to be a very long, long time before the manual becomes extinct among the over-whelming majority of hard-core enthusiasts that buy cars like the Viper me thinks. Still, I hope they incorporate a DCT and other changes to appeal to those with other interests, but I'm not pinning my hopes for the future of the car to them.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...8_porsche_911_turbo_s_nissan_gt_r_comparison/

The big 6 piston brakes on the Z28 is a big part of it's performance. GM doesn't skimp out. I hope SRT is seeing this..

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big 6 piston brakes on the Z28 is a big part of it's performance. GM doesn't skimp out. I hope SRT is seeing this..

I thought I was being anal about braking performance when choosing the TA, and felt convinced at the time I couldn't possibly run out of brakes on the track...hoping I'm right!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its all irrevelant because theres NO MONEY in the budget to develop such a tranny (LOL SRT just cant go out and use -mod an existing trans in their inventory as its SLIGHTLY more complex an issue than that )If we look at a car like the new Z06 Chevy assumlates the Rand D money over the 30k plus Vetts they plan to sell a year .Dodge doesnt have that luxury-

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you will be pleased with the brakes. I experienced zero fade yesterday and it was 80 degrees outside. They were as good at the end of each track session as they were at the beginning. It was one of the things I was testing and experimenting with.

The Gen V brake cooling ducts along with the smaller rotor hats on the TA rotors, which allow more caliper contact area;and, the fact that the TA rotors are more heat resistant do what they were intended to do.

After you run it, please start a TA brake thread and report back to us. I just do a couple or three road course days a year. You, Dan, and some of the others are serious track rats and your opinion would be much appreciated.

I thought I was being anal about braking performance when choosing the TA, and felt convinced at the time I couldn't possibly run out of brakes on the track...hoping I'm right!

Last edited:

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I expect they'll be just fine also. I tend to be a little easier on brakes than some, but do have the acid test brake zone for them every 95 seconds or so at Mosport. Will share those test results!

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are completely ignoring all data that exists in the market for cars in this price range. It is greater than 70% of this market has an automatic/DCT. Why are you so amazed that a significant part of the population wants a car that is easier to drive on the street and faster on the track all in one package? I (like you) would still prefer a manual but I can totally see why many would not. Heck, I would even consider as I know I would be faster on the track with it.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Data...smeta. I want a manual because it is more fun to drive. You get to buy the one you want and drive it.

I have a blast driving it on the street, and also the track. There is always someone faster, as I tend to drive my car to the track, drive it on the track and drive it back home. The guys that trailer their cars out there, with track tires, are often faster, but never are having more fun.

I really do not care about car magazine comparisons. I want to drive the one that makes me have the most fun. Automatics do not do it for me, and that is why I appreciate SRT for still offering sticks.

Most of the exotics have gone to automatics because of emissions and their demographics. Many owners are intimidated by sticks, so for them, the automatic is the best. (not for me)

Quit telling everyone else what they should drive, and what SRT should do. Nobody cares..We are Viper People. 6 speed manual, big V-10, big tires, and side pipes if we can get them. We like to thunder off the corners, and manage our temperatures well. We know when we need to give our brakes a breather, when we need to short shift on the straights, when our tires are getting a bit too hot, and when we can make our charge. That is perhaps the most fun that most of us could dream of having.

Gads...I hate the ******** and complaining.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, with all that has been already said, could it be that Ralph's emphatic statement about "no auto/DCT" in the future was just to affect the sales of the Vipers currently languishing on lots? If you think about it, if SRT were to announce DCT/DI etc are coming in the near future who would go and buy the 2013-14 SRT's/GTS's that are still sitting on lots now? Most on the fence/new bloods would just wait till the upgraded models hit. The shutdown is supposed to help allow those older cars to be sold off from what I've read so it would seem counter-productive to say an auto/DCT/other upgrades are coming at this point in time. Maybe Im trying to read too much between the lines.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, with all that has been already said, could it be that Ralph's emphatic statement about "no auto/DCT" in the future was just to affect the sales of the Vipers currently languishing on lots? If you think about it, if SRT were to announce DCT/DI etc are coming in the near future who would go and buy the 2013-14 SRT's/GTS's that are still sitting on lots now? Most on the fence/new bloods would just wait till the upgraded models hit. The shutdown is supposed to help allow those older cars to be sold off from what I've read so it would seem counter-productive to say an auto/DCT/other upgrades are coming at this point in time. Maybe Im trying to read too much between the lines.
The way I read it is there will be no DCT in the Gen V, ever. I think that is what he is driving home (IMHO)

Who knows about future Gens...

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,
I personally share these views, and while I won't have driven a Viper until mine comes in shortly, the disappointment with the auto tranny driving experience is the reason I was in the market to buy a new high performance car in the first place. I seldom seem to be drawn to buy or do what everyone else does, and I took this buying opportunity to capture all of the elements that are essential to my view of an extraordinary driving experience while such a car still exists. I did not need the guidance or approval of 70% of the market to make that decision or to feel good about it, and it's obvious Ralph and team didn't either...nor the Viper buyers of the past from what I can tell. The Viper really doesn't need an auto to meet SRT's goals at this time, but I'm sure they will eventually offer one as an option if they feel it becomes needed for their goals, and if it becomes feasible to do so.

Data...smeta. I want a manual because it is more fun to drive. You get to buy the one you want and drive it.

I have a blast driving it on the street, and also the track. There is always someone faster, as I tend to drive my car to the track, drive it on the track and drive it back home. The guys that trailer their cars out there, with track tires, are often faster, but never are having more fun.

I really do not care about car magazine comparisons. I want to drive the one that makes me have the most fun. Automatics do not do it for me, and that is why I appreciate SRT for still offering sticks.

Most of the exotics have gone to automatics because of emissions and their demographics. Many owners are intimidated by sticks, so for them, the automatic is the best. (not for me)

Quit telling everyone else what they should drive, and what SRT should do. Nobody cares..We are Viper People. 6 speed manual, big V-10, big tires, and side pipes if we can get them. We like to thunder off the corners, and manage our temperatures well. We know when we need to give our brakes a breather, when we need to short shift on the straights, when our tires are getting a bit too hot, and when we can make our charge. That is perhaps the most fun that most of us could dream of having.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I read it is there will be no DCT in the Gen V, ever. I think that is what he is driving home (IMHO)

Who knows about future Gens...

Yeah it definitely read like that to me too as well. I am just overthinking things a bit I guess. Well I personally prefer manual and always will gravitate toward it but I can definitely see a DCT improving not only the Vipers performance but its sales as well. It seems, from what I've read here and elsewhere, that SRT/Ralph are fine with the way the car/sales are now so I think you may be right about no DCT in the foreseeable future.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I'd love DCT in a Viper. I see why some want to be "purists" but in 2014 being a purist will hold you back. The Viper needs to evolve. It has done so many times and I think a good DCT would be a great addition.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes too much inventory at the factory,and too many unsold cars at the dealers too.. I heard on the VOA forum that there's going to be 0% interest offered..
http://driveviper.com/forums/thread...etting-some-kind-of-a-rebate-starting-tuesday

Somebody also mentioned a $20k dealer cash incentive. I think that would be a great addition to really move these cars..

Personally, I'd love DCT in a Viper. I see why some want to be "purists" but in 2014 being a purist will hold you back. The Viper needs to evolve. It has done so many times and I think a good DCT would be a great addition.

Yes..
I own 3 vipers, and been a long time fanatic. I too would like to see the Viper advance, evolve. If not a DCT, then a auto paddle shift would be great..
All the racing Vipers, Corvettes , Porsches are all using paddle shifters. GM, is already stepping it up on the Z06. Porsche too.. SRT needs to do the same...

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree, we asked this question for the gen 4, and it was considered heresy. It might still be for us "purists", but just look at the rest of the exotics... So make it a 10k option, and see what happens I guess, I'm not sure I'd buy it, not sure I wouldn't

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed it, did someone tell someone what to drive?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares what the purists think. It isn't 1992 anymore.

The purists aren't buying the Gen v in droves and they didn't buy the Gen 4 in droves.

60% of gen v buyers are first time buyers - says a lot.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let's hope that Sergio Marchionne , FIAT will give Ralph Gilles more money, resources this time to develop the 2015 Viper.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets