Ran my viper out of gas

F

FrgMstr

Feel good about your outcome, I totaled one trying to save the bottom of the tank one time. Long story.....

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 miles to the tank. Aero kit probably hurt fuel economy. What a ****ty feeling. Why does the 1/4 tank to "your screwed" happen so quickly? Hey Dodge how about giving us a little time to react?

http://youtu.be/KRSbt_VPzKY

I always wondered how much you could get after the light comes on. My light came on one day as soon as I left work, wanted to try and make it 25 miles home but chickened out with about 15 miles to go. It goes soooo quick.

Any idea how many miles you got with the light on?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, Yea *****. That last 1/4 does go exponentially quick unlike my DodgeDakota that still has 7gall when the light comes on. I can literally go another 100miles with the pickup :)

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Random thought: are you sure you're getting a full tank of gas when you fill up? I only ask because every time I fill up, I put the nozzle in just like everyone else with the handle facing down. Once it stops, I've found that if I turn the nozzle upside down, I can squeeze in an extra 3-4 gallons before it stops again. Not sure why, but I've read some other stories on here where people have had the same problem.

Probably not the case, but just thought I'd ask.

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Cool video and you cant cut it any closer than that

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Close call. You d be pushing the car and the girl in it if you did not get as far.:D great video:2tu:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I generally refill before it gets to 1/4 tank. Not just the viper but with anything. Keeps any possible crap at the bottom of the tank where it belongs.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've made it at least 30-40 miles when my light comes on. I estimate that I've got around 4 gallons left when mine hits since I put in ~14 if I fill it right as the light dings. Guessing it's probably more based on the tank design, but you might try running some bottles of Techron or similar through the tank. Supposed to help clean up the level sensor, so you might get more consistent readings. I did a long drive this weekend and got 211 miles on the first half of the tank, but only 90 on the second half. Went through another tank and it was a little closer, more like 180 on the first half and 150 on the last. Have a suspicion that my gauge isn't the most consistent reading from time to time. For instance, I can park the car at work in morning with a 1/4 tank, but when I go out for lunch it will be just under a 1/4 when I start it up and just over a 1/4 after things warm up.

redrichard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found the car must be on level ground to get a full tank, my gen4 has 2.5 gallons left when the light comes on. Rob how much gas did the car take empty ?

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice video, and awesome car!! You said you put 17.8 gallons in. Is this a Gen 3 with Gen IV hood? My Gen IV only holds 16 gallons. I was coming back from ALMS/WEC races at COTA yesterday and light came on and I figured I had enough to get home (and yes, the last 1/4 goes fast, seemed to sit on 1/4 mark for a while then drop like lead). I put 14.8 gallons in, so I had just over a gallon left (I think it has 2 gallons when light comes on).

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old Gen.1 doesn't have a low fuel light, I guess I am lucky it has a guage! I have run it down to 1/8th of a tank without any problems. It does have a 21 gallon tank.

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice video, and awesome car!! You said you put 17.8 gallons in. Is this a Gen 3 with Gen IV hood? My Gen IV only holds 16 gallons. I was coming back from ALMS/WEC races at COTA yesterday and light came on and I figured I had enough to get home (and yes, the last 1/4 goes fast, seemed to sit on 1/4 mark for a while then drop like lead). I put 14.8 gallons in, so I had just over a gallon left (I think it has 2 gallons when light comes on).

He has a Gen IV ACR.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it certainly looked like Gen IV ACR on video, but right after he fills up he says he put 17.8 gallons in it. Does the ACR hold more than the coupe?

OP
OP
R

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might have done better if the car was in 6th rather than 5th.

6th gear I tried. Wouldn't hold speed would decelerate even at 100% throttle in 6th gear. Complete waste of a gear useful for fuel economy between 80-120 which no one drives for fuel economy.

I have an 09 ACR. I filled it up till it popped out the top before the race.

My "fuel light on till empty" wouldn't be helpful because post fuel light I needed to continue to hold 5th gear @ 160+ in the last 6-8 miles of the race.

Post race from E "line" (white line marking Empty) it was 6 miles of 20% throttle.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your ACR sounded like a Prius when you entered the gas station. Sweet looking ride!

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I generally refill before it gets to 1/4 tank. Not just the viper but with anything. Keeps any possible crap at the bottom of the tank where it belongs.
I never quite understood why you would want to keep crap in the bottom of the tank where the pickup ***** the gas from