Reading between the lines....

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: The axe is coming

(and trust me it will come back eventually..WEATHER it's 2 years or 5 years) What's the WEATHER have to do with anything? Just kidding.....had to razz you about your spelling!!!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You would be surprised at just how much Chrysler DOES listen to people, especially the performance car (SRT) owners. How many other manufacturers actually ask their engineers to host a chat with owners? Z-E-R-O. And the next chat is coming up in just six days!

Don't count the Viper out just yet.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Says who? Just a guess, right?

Since the last rumor for cancellation was because of the emissions and they were figured out, why start groundless runours? If they need more money (and they always do), they'll raise the price.

I had a 'chat' with a "Green Tourist" in a Park. This idiot's opinion was that Vipers and performance cars should be banned from driving in the park. If the loser really gave a sh_t then he should stop driving anywhere - not tell ME what to do. I don't care if HE thinks I should drive a car (rental Ford Focus station wagon) like he does. I don't care what he drives, what makes him think that he can, or should control what I drive? I wish he'd take his opinions home to Germany and not cause so much pollution flying in a Jet plane, then compounding Canada's emissions be actually driving here.

Instead of worrying about ME, he should be doing his best to create less pollution himself.

My Viper gets 20mpg, my wife's Escape uses a touch more fuel while my modified TT Stealth gets 30mpg.

Anytime someone speaks of Green concerns, ask them why they're not at home sitting in the cold - doing something instead of causing pollution yapping about everyone else.

I notice polls stating that Canada (and the US) are the worst Polluters in the world. When you ask, they MIGHT admit that they used the small populations to measure the pollution against. Canada has one of the smallest populations of any country in the world. The US is not a country with a crowded population either. So, does that make me anti-green? I just think that the people doing the yapping should be doing the electric car or No car stuff.

Sorry, that experience with the Green German pissed me off a bit.

Ted

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: More axed rummors for the Viper

If the Viper is dropped, so will my business with them. 5 out of 6 of my vehicles are Chrysler products not to mention the many I have sold. Nevertheless, the Viper has significantly influenced the purchase of my other vehicles. I'm sure others will feel the same way. For me, the Viper is the pillar of the company.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

haha do the above pic!

On a serious note chrysler DID NOT AX THE PT CRUISER BECAUSE PEOPLE MADE A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT. I think the VCA should do the same and I believe petitions would help!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Speaking of "Green", what are they complaining about? The Viper has gone "Green". Snake Skin Green! That is as "Green" as I ever want my Viper to get.

Let them prove out the Tesla car and that they can build an effective and stable exciting electric car, then wrap it around a viper-esque or cobra-esque type of look and I might think about it.

They can complain about sports cars poluting but the reality is build me a classy looking sports car with sex appeal, not some ladybug with the wings ripped off and I might think about it. green is ugly and until they change that image, it will struggle with sales.

Let the greenies whine about the poluters, but build it the way they want it and they will come. Don't build it, then stop complaining.

On the lifecycle of the Viper, eventually it will outlive it's use (everything does), but that is not in the next few years. I ran out a bought my 06 Coupe new because of the same rumors. Thought it was the last chance. It wasn't. The only thing that ticks me off is that Dodge should just come out and say that it is going to support this car. The might be your last chance thing is getting old.

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the Viper is dropped, so will my business with them. 5 out of 6 of my vehicles are Chrysler products not to mention the many I have sold. Nevertheless, the Viper has significantly influenced the purchase of my other vehicles. I'm sure others will feel the same way. For me, the Viper is the pillar of the company.

X2

I've only purchased Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products, when I owned a Viper. I have an ACR on order and am currently looking for a tow vehicle for it. More than likely, it will be a new Dodge dually. Without the Viper on order, I'd have sought another GM/Cadillac product!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most of the $400,000 super muscle cars at Barrett Jackson were almost being given away in the late 70's and early 80's. If the Viper does stop production just sit back and enjoy your car. Your kids will put your grandchildren through college with it, be happy, don't worry.

Doesn't bother me either way. I have a 94 stock Viper and will never be able to afford much more and I am perfectly happy with it. If they don't scrap it and keep making them, maybe someday (10-15 years) I might be able to afford what is a now a 2008, if they scrap it, my car's value will climb and I will make some money if I ever sell it. Either way I will just roll with the changes... :) You guys are going to kill me on this one, but... it's only a car! ;)

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

These rumors are likely normal. Chrysler is loosing a lot of money and they have to find a way to stop this bleeding. The battle is on at Chrysler's head office withing accountants, engineers and sale people.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not fond of losing the viper but, from what I understand is that Chrysler has to comply with new EPA regulations for gas milage and the Viper doesn't fit in the program. It is probably the worst gas guzzling sports car on the road today. The V10 motor ( a 360 block with two more cylinders added) Maybe in the future a smaller block with twin turbos may work to fill our Hp ****** needs. Or how about and electric Viper with throttle activated speakers to fill that void. One thing for sure the V10 is going bye bye. I saw a Sabaru smoke a Shelby Mustang GT V8 vs turbo 4 so its not all about cu in.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Discontinued cars have a common problem of difficulty finding parts for a reasonable price. In addition, there will be no new Viper techs if production of Vipers ceases, unless these cars are replaced by a car similar enough, sharing enough parts/technology to qualify the mechanics to do the work-which wouldn't be likely. In general, cars like Oldsmobile will be factory supported for only 10 years or possibly less. :(

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have been a Mopar man since my first new car in 1964. That was followed by a '66 Charger 383 and a 1970 Plymouth. But Chrysler let the performance cars get anemic for YEARS, so I went to GM for a Pontiac, then to Volvo for a 164 (fastest stock six cylinder I've ever driven-beat many V8s), then, 3 Vettes and, for old time's sake, a 1979 300 L.E., a '57 300C convert, a '64 300K with ram induction, a ''61 300G, and a '79 Dodge Little Red Express truck. But no Chrylser performance cars being available, I bought two of the large Caprice sized Chevy Super Sports (350 C.I.D.). Once I could afford a Viper, I successively bought FOUR, one of each generation, including the 2008.

The Point: During the time I owned the 4 Vipers, I also bought and still have a Dakota, a Durango, and have helped my 3 daughters buy a Charger R/T, a Durango, and a Jeep Land Cruiser. I even have a '62 hyperpak Valiant Signet. When Chrysler/Dodge drops the Viper, I'm done with them. They Must keep building the Viper, even if they drop down to a Hemi V8 with a supercharger or turbo with MDS. If they want my business they have to earn it. MY HUMBLE OPINION!!

Last edited:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All but one forum I've got last post. Do I win anything for talking with myself for so long?

Never mind private joke.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just a thought--the new Challenger with a Viper V-10 in the future to replace the Viper?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not fond of losing the viper but, from what I understand is that Chrysler has to comply with new EPA regulations for gas milage and the Viper doesn't fit in the program. It is probably the worst gas guzzling sports car on the road today. The V10 motor ( a 360 block with two more cylinders added) Maybe in the future a smaller block with twin turbos may work to fill our Hp ****** needs. Or how about and electric Viper with throttle activated speakers to fill that void. One thing for sure the V10 is going bye bye. I saw a Sabaru smoke a Shelby Mustang GT V8 vs turbo 4 so its not all about cu in.

Someone string up this guy! jk

I guess Mercedes and Lambos and the like will be extinct too with their V12's then. It's all too early to tell, let's keep out fingers crossed and hope for the best.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do not think the Viper is done right now, if it is I will go back to Ford,Chrysler/Dodge will lose any buisness I could have sent their way.I would have never looked at their products before the Viper.My wife and I have talked about the 300 for our next family truckster,we will buy their products because of the Viper!!!

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Sounds like that article was written by Bob Lutz.

Put the Rolaids back on the shelf.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree, Chris Marshall is in our region and always seems to have accurate info,he believes I shouldn't have any worries on ordering an 09 so until I hear a public announcement "I AIN'T SKEERED"

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First off, why would Chrysler axe the Viper having just spent a bunch of money on the car? They need to do something to recoup the monies invested in the newest rendition. If the Viper stayed the way it is for another five years...fine. 600 HP is nothing to complain about. The last rendition of the GTS hung around from 1996-2002. The new GTS just came out in 2006...it should stay the same for a few more years.

Many people buy other Chrysler vehicles because of the Viper (the Viper is what you will see in the Magazines duking it out with other cars...press, press, press).

I too have purchase my vehicles due to loyality...four of my five cars are Chrylser (2005 Copperhead, 2005 SRT10 Ram, 2007 Superbee, and 2008 Jeep Rubicon)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have personally bought 3 Brand NEW Vipers Direct from Dodge, and 1 New Jeep SRT8. If they Drop the Viper from the line up, then they will effectively have helped carry my Wallet over to the GM Sales Counter for the rest of my domestic vechicle purchases, and im only 34, I have a lot more cars to buy !!

Jon

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I always hope that the Dodge folks watch these forums. This brand loyalty being spurred by the Viper is interesting to me. I have 3 Dodge vehicles. My wife wants another minivan and I want another Viper. Without the Viper I would not support Dodge/Chrysler as I do. I haven't bought anything but a Dodge since I graduated 6 years ago (the Viper was first)...interesting.

Kurt E

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't understand why one wouldn't buy another Chrysler product all because the Viper disappears; one has nothing to do with the other. I buy a car based on its own merits. I would have bought the SRT8 300 if I didn't have the Viper. Perhaps one is buying another model to support the halo car and it's just transportation. It's hard for me to buy a vehicle just for transportation; there's gotta be something else that gets the heart going.

A V10 Challenger? That won't happen in the current climate. It's too long for that car anyway. The 6.1 Hemi is more than adequate! I'd definitely buy a 6 speed 6.1 Challenger convertible to replace the Viper if I had to.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wouldnt put too much stock in Autoblog, most of the time they get their information from sites like this and then regurgitate it like they thought of it or came up with it. That whole article is speculative bunch of nothing. I wouldnt take it any more serious than the rest of the "end of the viper" threads.

I havent read the other threads and possibly some other people have legit contacts and information from inside sources. But just saying that autoblog isnt worth this many pages of discussion.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most of the $400,000 super muscle cars at Barrett Jackson were almost being given away in the late 70's and early 80's. If the Viper does stop production just sit back and enjoy your car. Your kids will put your grandchildren through college with it, be happy, don't worry.
Thanks for the tip. I'll pick up a couple more. Maybe a GT2 and an exclusive 09 ACR.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

>>> Sorry, that experience with the Green German pissed me off a bit.<<<

What an idiot - the GREEN GERMAN...they are all over the place here and ask for "forbidding" cars they call "gas guzzlers"...

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I emailed them and here is the response i received today.

Dear Tom:
Thank you for your recent email regarding the 2008 Dodge Viper.
Thank you for your inquiry. On November 1, 2007, Chrysler LLC announced
that it would phase out the production of four products through 2008;
models affected include the Dodge Magnum, Chrysler PT Cruiser
Convertible, Chrysler Pacifica and Chrysler Crossfire.
In the same time frame, Chrysler will add two all-new products to its
portfolio: the Dodge Journey and Dodge Challenger, along with two new
hybrid models, the Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango.
Feel free to visit our websites for more information regarding Chrysler,
Dodge or Jeep brand vehicles:
Official Chrysler site - Autos, Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Convertibles, Sedans, Crossovers
Official Dodge Site - New Autos, Trucks, Minivans, SUVs, Cars, Wagons
Official Jeep Site - 4x4 SUV, Sport Utility Vehicle
The Dodge lineup features the biggest, baddest vehicles ever to take to
the streets.
To find out more on the Viper SRT10, as well as pricing, dealer
locations, and many more shopping tools, please follow the link below:
Dodge - 2008 Viper - Sports Car, Roadster, Sports Coupe
If you would like me to provide you with the contact information for a
dealer, or if you have further questions, please feel free to use the
reply link below. You may also call us on our toll-free number at
1-800-964-0600. When you call, I can transfer your call directly to your
preferred dealer if you wish, providing your call is during the dealer's
hours of operation.
Thank you for your interest in Dodge.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Emailed dodge this is what they said:

Thank you for your recent email regarding the 2008 Dodge Viper.

To our knowledge the Dodge Viper is not going to be discontinued.

The Dodge lineup features the biggest, baddest vehicles ever to take to
the streets.

To find out more on the Viper SRT10, as well as pricing, dealer
locations, and many more shopping tools, please follow the link below:

http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/viper/

If you would like me to provide you with the contact information for a
dealer, or if you have further questions, please feel free to use the
reply link below. You may also call us on our toll-free number at
1-800-964-0600. When you call, I can transfer your call directly to your
preferred dealer if you wish, providing your call is during the dealer's
hours of operation.

Thank you for your interest in Dodge.