Remove Rear Bumper And Fascia?

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I did a search and read all the threads about this. Unfortunately, there is conflicting information. Reason that I'm removing is to locate and fix a vibration noise that is driving me crazy. '98 GTS.:confused:

A few questions to clear things up:

1. Do you need to remove the rear wheels in order to remove the fender liners to remove the bumper?

2. Do you need any "special" tools to reach the rear center bolts?

3. Should the rear fascia or the rear bumper be removed first as far as ease of removal sequence and avoidance of any scratching of paint on either piece.

4. Does the trunk lock cylinder simply come off with the fascia when you pull the fascia off?

5. Are there any bolts behind the license plate that need to be removed to remove the fascia?

6. Any other "tips" to make this as easy as possible?

TIA.:D

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAd mine off several years ago when I did the stripes. Keep indoors. Jack stands up pretty high. take rear wheels off and the access panels on both sides (battery on one side and emmissions charcoal filter stuff on the other). Remove spare tire and rear carpeting. Will require removal of the interior surround in the rear (speakers and all that stuff). You are stretching my memory here...remove tail lights and all via a long 1/4 drive socket theough the plug holes. Once loose you can pull the lighst out the back and unhook the flashers/signals. Mark which is what. Under the license plate are the little lights. Take those out so you can get at the third brake light assembly. Easy to remove. hardest part is getting at the four large nuts from behind the tires in the rear of the bumber. Take a light and shine in there and you will see them way in the back. Two on each side. Don't forget about the small fasteners that attach the bumper to the edge of the rear fenders on each side too. Stick you head up inside the rear bumper once the tires and access panels have been removed. You will see them on each side. Take a long extension and have at it. You will notice there is significant pressure pushing the bumper up against the center section of the rear of the car (where all the lights are attached). So when you loosen the bumper bolts, it will slide down. The hard part is sliding it up really tight during the install so pay attention to where the bolts/washer are in relation to the brackets. The rear center section of the car comes off pretty easy once the bumper has been dropped. The exhaust can catch on things too so just be careful when dropping the bumper. All in all not hard nor any special tools needed. Just pay attention to what goes where.