removing GTS gas cap

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the proper way is to remove the aluminum gas cap from the GTS? I've taken off the four allen head screws-it is the means of removing the filler neck from the gas cap that has me stumped....and since it appears that you need to have the actual gas cap off to do it I would rather not mess that operation up :omg:

Thanks!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After the bolts are removed you have to pull hard as the aluminum will be tight inside the gas hose. Its more difficult to get back on than off, but a little lube helps.

OP
OP
A

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got it, thanks! Removal wasn't too bad once I realized I simply needed to pull and twist-to do that process when installing the new one I found running a section of line around the vent tube helped by keeping the assembly as far outside the body as possible which countered the pressure of pushing the new one on. Wasn't too hard for one person, but would have gone faster with a 2nd set of hands :2tu:

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After the bolts are removed you have to pull hard as the aluminum will be tight inside the gas hose. Its more difficult to get back on than off, but a little lube helps.

He said "lube." :hahaup:

And a lot of lube makes for a great wrestling match. :devgrin:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting it back on is a *****! Gets lots of lube, anything REAL slippery and don't be shy using it. I put duct tape around the opening for a little protection against scratches. Get a heavy duty hanger, cut the bottom off and bend the end of it so you can put it into the filler neck and then pull up on the hanger and push down and twist the cap at the same time. It will go on but be prepared to say a few choice words!

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just noticed the top two screws on my gas cap are loose. When I try to tighten with a allen wrench they just spin. I pulled one out. It doesn't look damaged buy it definatley is not catching.

Is there a backup plate that might be out of alignment?

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte