Removing Hardtop

cigar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2000 RT/10 knowing that it didn't have the soft top, it didn't have an owner's manual either but I found one on eBay that I just received. Not seeing how the top was removed I had the dealer contact the prior owner and he said he's never had the top off, looking at the manual it says to turn four "things" with a special tool provided, I don't have the tool either.

What do I do, you apparently turn 4 rectangular things, can I just take a crescent wrench to them or do I need to find the tool if possible? Any help will be appreciated.

OP
OP
C

cigar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, another question, I know no one can tell someone else how much money to spend but when I looked for the manual I saw two soft tops available, now I see only one

This is California and on nice enough days to take the Viper out there are no worries about freak storms, I don't intend to drive the car in the rain anyway, but can anyone see a reason to buy the soft top? I don't see resale as an issue here as it didn't bother me, but the car may be more salable in other climates. On the other hand if I never use it it's just more junk in the garage like the third row seat in my Hummer that hasn't been touched in 11 years.

I have to wonder where these come from, I can't imagine a Viper owner selling his, people don't steal them do they?

Last edited:

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I guess for me it comes down to "will I really use it?"

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I originally had no interest in using the soft top. It is cumbersome and takes up a lot of space. But after getting caught in a surprise rain storm or two, I decided to start using it. Once you get use to, it really isn't that bad to put it together and take it apart, etc.

One of mine lives in the trunk, one stays put together for quick installation and I have a third one as back up. Well, actually the third one is probably because I am a bit of a parts hoarder.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, another question, I know no one can tell someone else how much money to spend but when I looked for the manual I saw two soft tops available, now I see only one

This is California and on nice enough days to take the Viper out there are no worries about freak storms, I don't intend to drive the car in the rain anyway, but can anyone see a reason to buy the soft top? I don't see resale as an issue here as it didn't bother me, but the car may be more salable in other climates. On the other hand if I never use it it's just more junk in the garage like the third row seat in my Hummer that hasn't been touched in 11 years.

I have to wonder where these come from, I can't imagine a Viper owner selling his, people don't steal them do they?

Check your ***.