replaced a dipstick tube.. interesting info

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My vipertech replaced a faulty engine dipstick tube on my car the other day. Interestingly enough, the new tube, which is a different design than the old tube is packaged with a piece of paper that states you now should use less oil when filling the viper during an oil change. It was saying to use 1 quart less, or the dipstick would read being "too full". There was a side note stating that filling past the "normal" level on the new dipstick (ie: using the old amount of oil) would not harm the engine. What kind of crap engineering is this? I am now supposed to run my car an entire quart lower because of a redesigned dipstick?! :eek:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that makes no sense what so ever.
who comes up with this crap?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I don't think the dipstick was "re-designed" per se. Its not hard to figure out, follow the money trail, and everything makes perfect sense!

More likely, they found a cheaper source for them, among specialty manufacturers that sell to all the OEMs. I've been surprised to find out just how many parts are made by someone else, and sold under the Dodge banner.

The one from the new source is just a bit longer, so they smooth over the transition to the new part with the blurb about the change in readings on the stick. Just a guess.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's probably the result of the parts sharing initiative with Mercedes. The dip stick is probably from an SL whatyacallit.

OP
OP
R

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What ***** is that they want you to run less oil in your engine to make up for the difference in length of the stick though!

OP
OP
R

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jimandela.. it is a Viper dipstick tube.. that is what is so annoying about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950