Repost? Another 08 (SSG) bites the dust before leaving dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone remember the episode of Unique Whips on Speed where the huge guy brought his Gen III in to have the seat bolster cut off the car so he could fit? When he picked it up he drove about 200 yards and wrecked it in a power spin - and that was with 100 hp less! Gotta respect the a$$ end coming around. No computer glitch there.
Yes, I too saw that episode. It happened right after he and Castro stuffed their fat A$$es into the car did it happen. Also the guy on Pinks jumped on a crotch-rocket, then gunned it, only to wipe-out.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More information: apparently this occurred around Windsor California which mapquest tells me is just north of wine country but not as far up at Petaluma.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just another SSG being wrecked.. I can think of 3 SSG cars, and one Red one. Right off the top of my head. Being wrecked with "delivery" miles.. Whats the deal??

The deal is, the car needs electronics.
Too many Posts with the same story.

I agree, whats the difference to you die hards if you can turn the electronics off? Every other car with hp anywhere close to what the vipers have, have electornics...

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dude tell me that isnt a face looking back at you in the right fender in this picture! EERRIEEEE!
You must be registered for see images

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skeetchy details but I heard that the owner of the dealership was giving the new prospective owner a ride from one dealership to another. There was something like 1 or 2 miles on the odometer.

i asked Maurice tonight how much difference there was in driving the 08 over the old SRT10, he said that around 4K RPM the power comes on almost as if the car is boosted. He said the throttle response is not linear and can catch you by surprise. He took his mom for her first ride in it yesterday and while doing what he felt was a moderate acceleration will going around a bend in the road, at the magical 4Krpm, quicker than you can say it, the backend was out. This is from a guy that has over 120,000 miles of Viper driving experiance, Multiple driving schools , Chrysler Proving Ground events, Viper Days, and at least 3 SRT Experiances under his belt!!!

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What happened? All these theories? Well, what would you say if someone did that in a Ferrari? or an original AC Cobra?

So I'll say it if nobody else will: An idiot. That amount of damage confirms more than appropriate speed for ANY car in a parking lot and in the proximity of buildings, curbs, trees, etc. ...

Let's get out of the 'snakebit' mindset that excuses stupid driving in Vipers just because the car has so much power and performance. :usa:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skeetchy details but I heard that the owner of the dealership was giving the new prospective owner a ride from one dealership to another. There was something like 1 or 2 miles on the odometer.

i asked Maurice tonight how much difference there was in driving the 08 over the old SRT10, he said that around 4K RPM the power comes on almost as if the car is boosted. He said the throttle response is not linear and can catch you by surprise. He took his mom for her first ride in it yesterday and while doing what he felt was a moderate acceleration will going around a bend in the road, at the magical 4Krpm, quicker than you can say it, the backend was out. This is from a guy that has over 120,000 miles of Viper driving experiance, Multiple driving schools , Chrysler Proving Ground events, Viper Days, and at least 3 SRT Experiances under his belt!!!

Interesting. Since the gas pedal in the '08 is fly by wire instead of mechanical, quite a few have noticed that the small delay between pedal input and engine response can be problematical. However, before the above report about Maurice, I had only heard that it was in the context of blipping the gas pedal prior to shifting. ( The delay results in a surge after the pedal comes up!!.)I don't think that this point is what caused the accident at issue, but I can see how it may have contributed to Maurice's experience. The Venom programming may need to be modified to eliminate the delay. In the alternative, if it is a signal transmission and reception issue ,as opposed to programming, within the fly by wire system, it could mean that the fly by wire equipment itself is not up to the task. Time will tell. It is hard to understand how something like this survived the car's testing process. Someone, somewhere, did not do what they were supposed to do.

By the way, when I first got my '08 SRT Jeep, I noticed what I considered a programming problem with the gas pedal. It would accelerate disproportionately to input - too much and a bit abruptly. I assumed that if I was patient that the computer would adapt and the problem would settle down. This is what happened but for awhile I really had to be careful with the gas pedal. I have not checked on whether the Jeep also has the fly by wire sytem. I intend to do so.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its baby jesus, and hes telling everyone to slow the hell down!:)

Bwwahahaaa!!! Excellent!!

I posted this link in the Gen2 forum. One comment and question that came up often was that it seems many of new onwers of these cars are entirely new to the Viper. The 08 is their first ever experience with a Viper.

Are you finding the same thing?

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, whats the difference to you die hards if you can turn the electronics off? Every other car with hp anywhere close to what the vipers have, have electornics...

Don't mean to be a **** here, but why all the calls for electronics (even if you can turn them off)? No car with electronics I have (currently or in the past) allows to take the nannies all the way off (try em, they are still there).

Why is it everytime something bad happens, someone wants to blame someone else (like the manufacturer by being "stupid" for not putting nannies on our car). Why can't we say it like it is? Someone screwed up, didn't know what they were doing, and wrecked a great car. I certainly don't want to pay extra for nannies I don't want that won't ever really go away just because someone else screwed up.

Of course, if t hey keep the vipers around, they'll have to add nannies, since everyone is whining, and there are too many morons out there...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't mean to be a **** here, but why all the calls for electronics (even if you can turn them off)? No car with electronics I have (currently or in the past) allows to take the nannies all the way off (try em, they are still there).

Why is it everytime something bad happens, someone wants to blame someone else (like the manufacturer by being "stupid" for not putting nannies on our car). Why can't we say it like it is? Someone screwed up, didn't know what they were doing, and wrecked a great car. I certainly don't want to pay extra for nannies I don't want that won't ever really go away just because someone else screwed up.

Of course, if t hey keep the vipers around, they'll have to add nannies, since everyone is whining, and there are too many morons out there...

I think people are being way too foolish and assume that nanny aids will prevent accidents like this from happening. It's silly. People don't want to take accountability for their actions and thus need to blame something or someone else for their stupidity. And herein lies the truth about nanny aids: nanny aids simply cannot fix stupid or substitute for a lack of common sense. There are plenty of wrecks of cars containing nanny aids, just check out wrecked exotics to see a few. It comes down to the driver, plain and simple. Nanny aids cannot fix stupid.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that surge can also be the variable cam kicking in. If you look at the torque curve of the 08 it is actually lower that that of the genIII until around 3500 or so.

Interesting. Since the gas pedal in the '08 is fly by wire instead of mechanical, quite a few have noticed that the small delay between pedal input and engine response can be problematical. However, before the above report about Maurice, I had only heard that it was in the context of blipping the gas pedal prior to shifting. ( The delay results in a surge after the pedal comes up!!.)I don't think that this point is what caused the accident at issue, but I can see how it may have contributed to Maurice's experience. The Venom programming may need to be modified to eliminate the delay. In the alternative, if it is a signal transmission and reception issue ,as opposed to programming, within the fly by wire system, it could mean that the fly by wire equipment itself is not up to the task. Time will tell. It is hard to understand how something like this survived the car's testing process. Someone, somewhere, did not do what they were supposed to do.

By the way, when I first got my '08 SRT Jeep, I noticed what I considered a programming problem with the gas pedal. It would accelerate disproportionately to input - too much and a bit abruptly. I assumed that if I was patient that the computer would adapt and the problem would settle down. This is what happened but for awhile I really had to be careful with the gas pedal. I have not checked on whether the Jeep also has the fly by wire sytem. I intend to do so.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yesterday the 4500rpm burst happened to me. Took off,rolled into the throttle and bam 4500 instant burst of power.Just like a 100hp shot of NOS without the warning. I was was with a friend in his Z06 when the same happened to him. Because the power comes in quick,both cars lurched,mine towards the curb and his towards the median. Had we panicked and touched the brakes,I think the pictures show the results.

Could not make it do it a second or third time,but now I know it's there. I have experienced this to a degree with all my electronic throttle cars. 2004 Vette,2006 Jaguar and 2008 Viper.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every other car with hp anywhere close to what the vipers have, have electornics...

They also have their fair share of wrecks. If Enzos and Murcialagos were $84K new there would be just as many wrecked Enzos and Murcis (which have all the nanny aids BTW) as there are Vipers.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was at a car show this weekend, saw a new SSG. The guy was in his thirties or so, and couldn't wait to put a twin turbo on it. Stock was too slow. He had let his brother drive his car a few days ago, and his brother curbed it slightly when it got loose on him. Quite the pair.

I'm pretty sure you can count his into the wrecked catagory, it just hasn't happened yet.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I"m out of town and my 08 had been sitting at the dealer after the "reflash"...SO my wife drove it home this morning.. she had driven my gen 3 with relative ease...

She said 2 things about the new 08... much smoother transmission.....much more power... she said " it just wanted to go"

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as a future viper owner, we have one but i havent driven it yet. its my wifes and i told her that it is her toy. i would hate to wreck something that she loves. but we have been discussing this issue for a couple of days now. while we do not know all of the geek speak, we have been questioning the same things. how many people buying the 08's are new viper owners like us?
so here we are, new viper owners, and the viper we happen to be buying are 600hp. i have some other muscle cars, but nothing this powerful. she drives hers very carefully, and i am sure that i will too. we are not speed freaks and do not plan on adding hp, probably the most that we will do is upgrade the audio. but thanks in big part to this forum we see and read from you seasoned viper owners that great caution should be taken when driving these.
and if there is something not quite right with the gas pedal, then perhaps there should be more investigation. because no one(i dont think) wants a random surge when they are driving. how re you supposed to feel like you are in total control when you have a random x factor that can cause, im guesssing, anyone to lose control, even an experienced driver?

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For clarification,in the z06 and the Viper this was at WOT(wide open throttle). It is not like turbo lag where the power comes in even under part throttle.

You can get used to and drive with the expectation that the surge could occur at WOT. It's the not expecting the jump that gets you the first time.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the gas pedal....you just have to treat it like the ******** of the vehicle... munch on it to hard and it will lurch away from you....Seriously tho there is nothing wrong with the gas pedal...any high hp car can give you instant torque if u depress the throttle to agressively .. i spun out my gen 3 the same way... i munched to hard in second gear at very low rpm and just forgot how much torque can come on even at low revs...but that is what makes the viper fun.... every time i step in it i remind myself that this thing can kill me in a heartbeat and i have to be focused at all times

i had a jeep srt8 for 2 years ... it was all wheel drive and sometimes there was a delay between depressing the gas and delivery of power... HOWEVER in the jeep it had a lot more to do with the ecu and transmission

Last edited:

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the gas pedal....you just have to treat it like the ******** of the vehicle... munch on it to hard and it will lurch away from you....Seriously tho there is nothing wrong with the gas pedal...any high hp car can give you instant torque if u depress the throttle to agressively .. i spun out my gen 3 the same way... i munched to hard in second gear at very low rpm and just forgot how much torque can come on even at low revs...but that is what makes the viper fun.... every time i step in it i remind myself that this thing can kill me in a heartbeat and i have to be focused at all times

i had a jeep srt8 for 2 years ... it was all wheel drive and sometimes there was a delay between depressing the gas and delivery of power... HOWEVER in the jeep it had a lot more to do with the ecu and transmission

So, Wallbanger, what you are saying is that its all about finesse? Love that analogy!:lmao:

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So music what audio upgrades are in the works?

well.....mine is not here yet. i dare not start tearing my wifes up to do upgrades.:)

once mine arrives, i will look into speakers....i have some focal utopias that are awesome. maybe change the stock head to an RB1 so we can use an ipod. and add some bass to it. not trying to get to crazy with the bass, it doesnt need to be felt down the block. just add some bottom to it. ill let you know how it tuns out.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try to find a no-hit body old school 427 Vette. Or 427 Cobra. Or hemi 'Cuda. Too much power in the hands of people with too little respect=wrecks.

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try to find a no-hit body old school 427 Vette. Or 427 Cobra. Or hemi 'Cuda. Too much power in the hands of people with too little respect=wrecks.

I'll gladly admit I am a first time viper owner and I own an '08 ssg vert! I love it! However, I have to agree that it's all about respect no matter what vehicle you drive. I have driven everything imaginable, including sports cars, regular cars, trucks, dump trucks, even semi's (without the trailer when I was a teenager). I was taught to be able to drive anything because you don't know what you will have to drive. So far, I've been lucky and have had no problems with the Viper. However, I'm not an idiot in it. Yes, I've gotten on it in a straight away when there were no other cars around but I'm still careful to know both my limitations as a driver and my cars limitations considering the road conditions and the driver. So the moral to my story is: Don't be stupid! Respect the car, know your car's limitations and your limitations as a driver. Otherwise, whether you drive a Prius or a Viper, you will be standing around wondering what happened and where you went wrong!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as a future viper owner, we have one but i havent driven it yet. its my wifes and i told her that it is her toy. i would hate to wreck something that she loves. but we have been discussing this issue for a couple of days now. while we do not know all of the geek speak, we have been questioning the same things. how many people buying the 08's are new viper owners like us?
so here we are, new viper owners, and the viper we happen to be buying are 600hp. i have some other muscle cars, but nothing this powerful. she drives hers very carefully, and i am sure that i will too. we are not speed freaks and do not plan on adding hp, probably the most that we will do is upgrade the audio. but thanks in big part to this forum we see and read from you seasoned viper owners that great caution should be taken when driving these.
and if there is something not quite right with the gas pedal, then perhaps there should be more investigation. because no one(i dont think) wants a random surge when they are driving. how re you supposed to feel like you are in total control when you have a random x factor that can cause, im guesssing, anyone to lose control, even an experienced driver?

Maybe I am missing something but why did the two of you buy the Viper? You are not gear heads. You have never owned anything this powerful. You are not speed freaks. The Viper was made for serious drivers who want a streetable race car. IT IS NOT A TOY. It is a very formidable automobile that requires a sophisticated driving skill set to properly operate. I think that the two of you should consider trading in the Viper for a Corvette. The Corvette, based on your post, is far more suitable for your needs.

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something but why did the two of you buy the Viper? You are not gear heads. You have never owned anything this powerful. You are not speed freaks. The Viper was made for serious drivers who want a streetable race car. IT IS NOT A TOY. It is a very formidable automobile that requires a sophisticated driving skill set to properly operate. I think that the two of you should consider trading in the Viper for a Corvette. The Corvette, based on your post, is far more suitable for your needs.

Thanks for your advice! We have a Corvette, thanks for thinking of us and our safety! However, we both are actually gear-heads! We love cars, fast cars! And just because I don't feel the need to prove myself and be a complete idiot and test myself to try to kill myself doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the intricacies of the Viper nor does it mean that I am not capable of driving the wheels off of it! I could and have driven circles around most of the so-called "gear-heads" you speak of and have won more than my fair share of drag races against them. Just because I can doesn't mean I have to! But, again, thanks for your concern!

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ok...im sorry....oh guru of speed ******-ness xtreme. first off, you took my toy comment way out of context.. how do you know what my needs are? do you think that everyone who owns a viper is going to track it? if that were the case, why make a base model period? make them all ACR's.tell me.... is everyone that owns a viper really going to do 200 mph? when and where would this take place? on a stretch of deserted highway at 4am? last time i checked there are no legal roads in our country in which you can go 180 mph much less 200, bobby boy. unless im missing something. i have a few older muscle cars and while it may be true that i have never driven anything with 600 hp before, my 1970 charger rt is close at 500-550 hp.
so please, with all of your nanny aids nonsense, stop with your snobbery. its not very becoming. its all crap anyway. corvettes are ***** cars because they have TC and whatever. all muscle cars are cool in their own way, except maybe the mustang.lol:D we came here to learn about these cars and perhaps have a couple of laughs. not neccesarily get into a ******* match with the guru of speed junkieness xtreme. for the most part everyone here has been helpful and nice.
have you checked out the other viper forum....maybe thats where a super geek speaking gear nut like your self belongs. were going to drive my wifes viper now, and when mine finally arrives, we shall drive it as well. hope that your viper doesnt bite you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude