Reverse Psychology Cop Story

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can stand another post about getting pulled over in your Viper, this was a first for me:

This morning I am leaving my place in Evanston, heading for the office. The route takes me right by Northwestern and there is a lot of pedestrian traffic, so sometimes there are cops. I always have the V-1 on, but this time forgot. So, as I see the cop up ahead, I check my speedo and I'm doing 40 in a 30. He starts to pull out behind me and I just pull over even before he has his lights on. You know there's bad attitude coming, I was already in a bad mood, and the ticket is a no-brainer, so what the hell?
He comes up to me and asks if I know why I am being pulled over. I say "Yes, I was speeding."
"What's the speed limit here?"
"It's a 30."
"How much?"
"30."
"How fast were you going?"
"40."
"I have you at 45."
"Okay, whatever, here's my license."
"Can I see your proof of insurance?"
"Sure, it's behind the seat." So I get out and hand it to him, and getting back in I say "Can you make this quick, please? Because I am in a rush."
He starts getting really pissed, then. Like, "don't give me attitude, okay, I am trying to cut you a break here!"
Well, I was in no way anticipating a break, driving a Viper, past a University with pedestrians, being "ethnic", wearing a black leather jacket and sunglasses, and I look like I'm 25. Plus I had admitted I was speeding, that I knew the speed limit, and there were about 50 people around, so knew I'd be getting the ticket. So I say, "I don't need a break, and you're not giving me one, so just write the ticket. I am in a rush, that's not attitude, that's the truth. Please be quick about it is all I'm saying."
"Where are you in such a rush to?"
"The hospital. I'll wait in my car if that's okay."
He shouts at me "Am I supposed to know that somehow?" as I'm getting in.
I just lean back and say "I never said I wasn't speeding or didn't deserve the ticket, so whatever..."
After a couple of minutes, with the shift super passing by in the unmarked car and glaring at me, and the cop looking really pissed in the rearview miiror, he comes over, hands me my license and says "do me a favor and slow down, okay?"
Unbelievable! All the times I have tried to schmooze my way out of a ticket, lied about speeding, claimed to be going in for an emergency, really been going in for an emergency--and still got ticketed--and this time I don't! Maybe originality counts for something with these guys!

nickdiaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of articles where cops were interviewed on the subject of how to get out of a ticket. Amongst a number of items, the top three things seem to be:
1. Honesty
2. Respect and
3. Be aware of how fast you were going

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most cops become cops for "power" purposes. just kiss ass a bit. make em feel powerful and in control. if they ask you if you were speeding say yer sir. just tell them the truth and they will let you go most of the time. never talk back unless they actually write you up. then i call em names and feel good doing it even if it costed a few points and $$.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of articles where cops were interviewed on the subject of how to get out of a ticket. Amongst a number of items, the top three things seem to be:
1. Honesty
2. Respect and
3. Be aware of how fast you were going

Interview all the cops you want, but I have first hand real world experience and will tell you that if that's what those cops/articles are saying then it's pure BS. I've done the respectful nice guy routine nearly as many times as I've been pulled over and what is amazing to me is that it worked more when I was 20 than it does now in my 40s. The fact is if you are committing a traffic violation no matter how small and insignificant, you have a 99% chance of getting a ticket. 98% chance if you have breasts.

just tell them the truth and they will let you go most of the time.

In Queens??? Maybe but not from what I've heard about New Yawk and certainly not in Florida and Georgia.

Cops are dropping the hammer on everybody. There are more Barney Fifes than Andy Taylors these days.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Magnet,

I've never had issue with Evanston cops because I avoid Evanston like the PLAGUE!! HA HA HA! W/all of those one way streets over there your'e either lost at Sheridan Avenue or somehow routed into Wilmette, Skokie or Lincolnwood where the Lincolnwood cops have a ****** for Anyone Anywhere remotely close to McCormack Blvd. As far as I can remember Evanston and Chicago Cops were cool. Glad to hear that you got out of the ticket, but don't make it difficult for me when I get the car eventually and burnup Sheridan near the lake by Howard Ave! =P. I once (supposedly) pulled a powerslide in a Chrysler Laser XT (The Upscale Dodge Daytona circa '88) from one lane to the other. I vowed never to do that again!

Jay K.

PS. Chuck, Make that 100% if you have Breasts you walk from a Ticket here in the City!! Damn Shame that is!

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the traffic school thing again Monday after another "citation". I grovelled, called him sir, told him I'd never do it again, and squirmed like a deer in the headlights. He relished in writing me up for running a yellow.
There is simply a distaste for the whole process. The attitude, the treatment, the way you are talked down to in traffic school. If they have to give me a ticket, then do it, but don't make me feel like a ******, thief, or murderer. Saddam Hussein gets more respect.
Honestly, anymore I am so paranoid that I drive as though I have 50lbs of dope in my trunk.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to so many of those traffic schools when I was younger that I began to complain that the movies led to a Gambling addition. For those of you who've had the unfortunate date with a VERY early Saturday Morning and traffic school, you know what I am talking about.

Jay K.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
being "ethnic"

I don't know what being ethnic has to do with anything. I'm as un-ethnic as a Klansman and have done the shmooze thing like a pro and it doesn't do any good for me.

Chuck, you give cops absolutely no credit at all,,,,,, some of the smart ones can spot an *** 10 miles away!!!!!!! :eek: :D :eek: :D

OP
OP
C

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
being "ethnic"

I don't know what being ethnic has to do with anything. I'm as un-ethnic as a Klansman and have done the shmooze thing like a pro and it doesn't do any good for me.

If you were "ethnic", I think you would understand what I mean here. You've schmoozed like a pro and not gotten off, that doesn't mean you wouldn't have been treated a whole lot worse if you were something different ethnically. Look at it this way, you are not a woman with nice ones, yet I am sure you agree with the gist of the posts referring to them getting off easier. You are on the other side of that issue, and I am on the other side of the ethnic issue.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many cops are black or a minority, many cops are female, and many cops are white. Most police forces have very diverse employees, at least in medium - large cities. So your gender/race can work for - or against you, if the officer holds a prejudice.

Question - How would you know you are being treated any differently? Unless you are being pulled over for NO reason. That has only happened once when I was driving, and I think the Cop just wanted to check out the Viper. I think no matter what your race or color, once your pulled over, you get the attitude. Trust me, us whities don't get any special treatment.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
being "ethnic"

If you were "ethnic", I think you would understand what I mean here. You've schmoozed like a pro and not gotten off, that doesn't mean you wouldn't have been treated a whole lot worse if you were something different ethnically. Look at it this way, you are not a woman with nice ones, yet I am sure you agree with the gist of the posts referring to them getting off easier. You are on the other side of that issue, and I am on the other side of the ethnic issue.

I understand entirely what you mean. I'm just saying the cops old one-sided racial bias is not significantly applicable today when cops pretty much hate everybody equally - and if you weren't "ethnic" you'd see my point. In fact, one of my "ethnic" friends pointed out that "equality" to me a while back. And I've seen cops pull white kids at the local hangouts and pat them down like they're criminals for just hanging out with other motorheads. It's not unusual.

As for the women with nice ones, I already said they get maybe an extra 1% pass which may be inaccurate but I doubt the cops give them as much slack as people think.

This is kinda funny isn't it? We're arguing over cops hating one group more than another. LOL

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, anymore I am so paranoid that I drive as though I have 50lbs of dope in my trunk.
Ah, as opposed to the usual 20lbs that you usually carry.......
;)
I've had a few cool cops let me go, and I've been written up my share. I'm always polite, seems to have little effect. Most cops are like normal people, they make a decision about you within the first 30 seconds, IMHO.
:)

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found the cockier the better. I try to be as arrogant and condescending as I can possibly be (legally) and it usually works. But even when it doesn't, I feel like I really EARNED the ticket.

More often than not, I don't get a ticket but get a "I can't believe you are acting this way. Next time, be more respectful. Now, I am going to give you a warning so slow down." I think they believe that for anyone to be that cocky that they must have friends in high places. I wish I did.

Chad

Disclaimer: This post in no way assumes liability for you getting thrown in jail.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good original post!

I always tell it like it is.

When I lived back east, NJ, NY, area, I got pulled for doing 125 in a 55, got off no ticket. It was 3 am, after a Yankees game and bars after the game, told him I was the designated driver, and I was, he told me to slow it down and go home no ticket.

Same area got pulled for doing 98 in a 55. I had been racing slot cars all night. I told the cop I was still wired and amped up from that. Told me to slow down and go home no ticket.

Once here in KC, I got pulled on a bike in spring time 145 in a 65. The only reason I got nailed is I pulled over to wait on a friend who was on a 750. I turned around and a copper was sliding towards me on the shoulder with brakes locked up. I never saw him or I would have never stopped to wait on my buddy. He asked if I hit the ground if I had any idea what would happen. I told him I hope I die quickly. He said he at least I was smart about it. He was also a bike cop, he said he knows what it's like at spring time getting out for the first ride, but I better do it where there is no traffic next time. He did write me up, but he wrote me up for 75 in a 65. He was trying to be nice.

Just tell it like it is.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know how fast you were going?

-120mph sir

Do you know what you would do to yourself if you hit a deer doing 120?

-Dont know sir. I've never seen a deer do 120.

nickdiaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always tend towards respectful just out of habit...parents brought me up that way. That said, I'd love to someday piss off a cop who pulled me over.

"Do you know how fast you were goin', boy?"
"'Course I do, genius. What do you think I drive?"
"Hey! Watch that attitude, boy! You were doing 90 in a 65."
"Heck, is that all? You shoulda seen me hit 180 back there on the beltway! Write the damn ticket and go away."

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten out of two tickets in Myrtle Beach last year (down there for college). First one was for running a stop light (had been red for a few seconds), and I hadn't noticed. Came up and stopped at the next red light, cop in the rear view, I turned left as did he, lights went on. He comes up to my window, partner to the passeger side, asks for lisc. and insurance. I produced the lisc. but didn't know what insurance certificate looked like. He ran my lisc and said to just take it easy since I didn't have a record and for me to find my insurance card. The Fraternal Order of Police stickers most likely got me off. :laugh:

Other one was when I was following some friends to the beach and missed my turn. Car in front of me was going 15(from PA of course) so I go around him in the next lane after the stop light. Accelerated hard in first to redline at 30, pressed the clutch in to let off 5 mph to go speed limit. I make a left hand turn into an empty hotel parking lot to turn around. I'm about to back up when I see a Harley Davidson powered golf cart turning into the parking lot coming after me. The driver locks the breaks and stops next to my window (for ********** effect) and starts screaming, "You know what you just did? You just went around that van in the Police lane! What if someone stepped out into the street. That road's a 25 MPH road! You shouldn't be accelerating that quickly or go that fast! I should write you a ticket!" And I'm thinking of my replies for him at the time if he shuts his fat donut eating mouth, "The Police lane was dashed lines for 50 feet after the intersection, and there were no markings. There were no pedestrians around when I made the pass. I only accelerated to 30 MPH. Driving that slow should be made illegal. You can't write me a ticket because I'm parked." I think the reason he was "attracted" to pull me over was the engine noise (Mazda 323) going to redline. The sole reason I wasn't ticketed was because I was "parked", and in SC they can't ticket you if you're parked in a parking lot. :rolleyes: :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte