Road Course????

lotti

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will there be an actual road course for this event, from the pictures it looks like a parking lot autocross set up.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technically there will be two. There is going to be an AUTOCROSS set up in a parking lot and the there will be a ROAD COURSE set up on the motor speedway which will consist on part of the infield and either half or 3/4 of the big oval.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
lotti,

As of a few weeks ago, I think I'm the one planning the driving events at VOI 12. Also, you should know that I'm a track guy at heart, so my goal is to maximize driving time for our group.

Here are the driving events we're planning:

First, I would tell you that we plan to have the "Drivers Meeting" on Thursday afternoon at the host hotel. This will maximize driving time at each location, i.e. not wasting time talking while at the track.

1 - At Charlotte Motor Speedway, we're planning to have three run groups; novice (green), intermediate (blue) and advanced (red) for each session, which should be about 2 hours per driving group, 4 groups per day. Numbers in each group will depend on attendance and number of drivers. We will have instructors in every car from Petty (insurance requirement). We'll run their "Roval" which includes about 3/4 of the high speed oval and an interior road course.

Also at Charlotte Motor Speedway, we will have access to a very large, outdoor Go-Kart track. It will be available ALL day long to all participants, so if the Roval is not your thing, you can go karting.

2 - At ZMax dragstrip, which is a FOUR lane drag strip, we'll have instruction by a pro drag racer who has drag raced VIPERS at two of the four lanes for those that want to learn to launch their Vipers (as requested and likely for the first couple of runs). The other two lanes will be "open". I have asked for all lanes to be prepped, so take it easy the first few launches. If we are careful we can avoid clean up time which will take away from our run time.

3 - In the parking ot at ZMax, which is huge, we'll set up TWO large, timed auto crosses. Goal is about 45 seconds per run per Auto X. Competition will be in Stock and Modified classes. Again, you should get more runs that at previous VOI's, so try not to kill a bunch of cones on your first lap, cutting back on time wasted picking up cones.

4 - Also in the parking lot at ZMax we plan to have the SRT Driving Experience with a bunch of SRT vehicles to test drive. IF and this is a big if right now, if we have Gen 5 pre-production Vipers, we may be able to get a bit a seat time in them in the parking lot.

Another neat thing about this set up is that CMS is right next to ZMax, so there's not much time getting from event to event. We do plan to have "people movers" for those of us not driving but who have fun watching.

On another subject, I've asked Archer Racing to attend for track side support. These guys really know Vipers and having "spares" like tires, wheels, fluids, compressed air or other parts and service available at the track can help save your weekend if you should have minor mechanical issues.

Sunday is planned to be an "open" day, so you can drive whatever you'd like.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Last edited:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The track definitely looks interesting, as long I can remember which way to go! lol That's one reason I'm not a big fan of autocross, too many damn cones everywhere. Give me an actual road to follow.

The transition to the banking didn't seem all that bad in the Ultima, but the Vette in front of him at one point looked to take a nice jolt.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
The track definitely looks interesting, as long I can remember which way to go! lol That's one reason I'm not a big fan of autocross, too many damn cones everywhere. Give me an actual road to follow.

The transition to the banking didn't seem all that bad in the Ultima, but the Vette in front of him at one point looked to take a nice jolt.

I can't remember the "degrees" of banking (you could look that up) but it's pretty banked in that turn. Our plan is to advise everyone to stay on the lower "flat" section of the oval when coming out of the infield track until you get on to the back straight. It is an easier transition onto the back straight from the lower flat section of the track.

We drove it in a van, so no issues. No way I'd try to drive up onto the banking in the first turn in my ACR. The splitter would hit, maybe hard. We'll cover this in the driver's meeting and might put some cones out if necessary and you will have an instructor in the car with you.

Dan

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super secret insider hot lap oval racing tip...

Many Superspeedways have a marking system to get a fast, safe lap around the "Roval" portion of the track.

There may be painted small (6") white squares spaced around the ring portion of the track. If you are not familiar with the course, just line up the center of your Viper with the little squares, and they will keep you away from the walls, and put you in the sweet spot on the track. This will allow you to take advantage of the banking, but not put you in areas that will upset the balance of your car at speed.

Watch the video again, and see if you can pick up the guidance squares....and just connect the dots.

Dan has had lots of experience setting up fun courses. He is the go to guy in SoCal for our annual Car Control Clinics. Listen to what he says, and follow his lead, and you will find your self going faster and safer on each lap.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guys,

Speaking of markers, I've recommended that we place "braking" (4, 3, 2, 1 type) markers before the entrance to the infield portion of the track. We may put braking markers at other locations too as we think might be helpful to our group. This will help all of us with our braking points and direct us into the infield. The first few times around the roval, you will need to pay attention to getting into the infield.

Also, as Paul mentions above, I normally drive Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, so I'm familiar with it. Some Ovals have "turn in" markers mounted to the chain link fences before entering the turns on the roval. I didn't look for these while I was there last month, but will get in early and take a closer look.

Dan :headbang:

Last edited:

AZWHTSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,
Thanks for all your time an effort to make this an enjoyable, memorable and safe VOI for everyone. The planned driving events are awesome. I like your recommendation of braking points prior to the infield and other key locations, especially for those of us who are novices and unfamiliar with the track. See you in Charlotte.
Barry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave