Rollup garage doors

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any nice looking rollup garage doors for residential use? I could put a lift in my garage if the standard door didn't take up two feet of ceiling space. Somebody has to be building something that doesn't look like those orange Public Storage doors.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search. they make garage door openers which mount offset from the tracks so you can mount them within inches from the ceiling. Someone posted the information recently.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick search found this pic...

You must be registered for see images attach

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they make tracks that are "low head room tracks" to raise door as close to ceiling(like photo above) as possible or use a comercial style door that rolls up just above the door(generally not very stylish)

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a comercial style door that rolls up just above the door(generally not very stylish)

That's the kind that I'm asking about but like you said, they aren't very stylish. I'm wondering if somebody makes a stylish one. Seems like there would be a market.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
like the other guy stated-you can mount any door opener on the side end of any door-you just have to makeshift a sprocket at the end of the door spring at the top- my buddy has done it

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm building a new garage right now and I've ordered a lift and a roll door. The doors are way more expensive but I really wanted the look. The door I've ordered is from a local company (Calgary - Okotoks, actually) and they have a reputation for first class products. The entire door rolls into a box at the header and there are no exposed motors - nothing but a box. Everything is powdercoated.

I wanted a roll door for the look and I didn't want the lights blocked with the door open.

Here's their web site. It's crappy but I think if you snoop around enough you can see what they do. http://www.rolco.com

Try to Google 'roll shutters' to find someone local.

I must add a disclaimer here. They promised delivery on Dec. 4th and it looks like I'll see them on Jan. 15th. It's put my entire garage project on hold. I guess they need a larger than normal motor (big doors) and their supplier is late......

Greg

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Wayne Dalton I-Drive that is similar to that....I didn't extend the tracks to the roofline, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I got it when we had a convertible so we could open and close the roof in the garage without having to worry about hitting the drive

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We do a trade show here that is just garage doors. There are some very cool and stylish doors out there of just about every kind you could imagine and with every mount and opening you could every desire. When I build my garage I am planning on getting roll-up style doors with a second "screen door" similar to what you might see at a delivery warehouse where there is heavy traffic. The style I was looking at doesn't look too commercial and you wouldn't even notice its a roll-up when its down.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne Dalton iDRIVE is the way to go. Have it on both garage doors and extra cars inside!

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne Dalton iDRIVE is the way to go. Have it on both garage doors and extra cars inside!

Don't the doors still roll up along the ceiling and block the light fixtures and get in the way of a lift? From their video it's exactly the same door as a normal door but I presume that you can now run your door closer to the ceiling since the motor is relocated on the face wall.

The unit look like an awesome motor but it's just a better motor for the same garage door. Or am I missing something?

Greg

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised more people don't have hinged doors on their garages. My garage is basically a tear-down right now, but it has one great feature - hinged doors that open outward. You'd be amazed at the amount of extra space I have in the ceiling area, and it's SO MUCH easier to get in and out of the garage that I couldn't live without them now. The downside to them is you have to make sure they're secure when you have them open or they can blow closed - or blow in on your car as you're driving in and out. I guess there's also a downside that you can't park another car right up against the garage with these and still get the door opened without moving that other car - but it's a small price to pay in my opinion.

You must be registered for see images

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised more people don't have hinged doors on their garages. My garage is basically a tear-down right now, but it has one great feature - hinged doors that open outward. You'd be amazed at the amount of extra space I have in the ceiling area, and it's SO MUCH easier to get in and out of the garage that I couldn't live without them now. The downside to them is you have to make sure they're secure when you have them open or they can blow closed - or blow in on your car as you're driving in and out. I guess there's also a downside that you can't park another car right up against the garage with these and still get the door opened without moving that other car - but it's a small price to pay in my opinion.

Those are nice. Do they open automatically?

I don't think they'd work here (Canada) simply because of snow but they look awesome!

Greg

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those look really nice. Do you have "auto openers" or do you get out of car to open the doors?

You obviously don't get snow/ice.....

Would be cool in a warm climate though...:2tu:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, just saw you are in Canada. Aren't those doors hard to open with snow/ice in front of them?

Recluse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't the doors still roll up along the ceiling and block the light fixtures and get in the way of a lift? From their video it's exactly the same door as a normal door but I presume that you can now run your door closer to the ceiling since the motor is relocated on the face wall.

The unit look like an awesome motor but it's just a better motor for the same garage door. Or am I missing something?

Greg

If you go with door rails that go to the ceiling, then level out, you won't be able to use a conventional opener with a rail- the door spends more time in the vertical than on level track.

Really like the Liftmasters- they come with an electric deadbolt, remote control lights that can mount anywhere and are activated by a motion sensor on the touchpad. Ordered a keypad and found out that one can be programmed to run both doors with different codes as well. A well designed package, and nothing quieter!

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Greg

Greg,

The beauty of this system is that you can use your existing door. If you zoom in on the pulley you can see that it is tapered to compensate the extra height the door travels. And the extra height takes away that much more from the ceiling being covered, hence less light coverage. Just put your lights a little farther forward. Or to the side if you need one right back at the doorway.

Chuck,

The best thing for you to do is go down to a reputable overhead door dealer and discuss your needs with him. I had 2 doors converted in a 10' garage, one with a small side opener like in the picture(they are expensive) and one I worked manually.

Recluse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or, since Chuck originally started this thread in 1888, just do something other than think about it. :rolaugh:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have pictures, or a website we can go to?

unfortunately I see so much cool stuff at trade shows I can't keep ALL the literature for the different companies. The entire show is just garage doors so there are tons of cool products and different door styles there. There was even one comany that makes doors that look like real heavy wood hinged doors but they are slide up (standard) type doors. Very cool. There is a house in Lakes Las Vegas ($$$$$$$$ celebrity homes) that has huge wooden castle like doors on the house and matching look-a-like doors from this company and the pictures from their house are used as the poster be the advertising(maybe the owner:dunno:) but damn if I can't remember the name of the company.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lol the first picture on the teledoor site is the Las Vegas Convention Center. NOT good doors for anything but a commercial heavy duty situation. You can run a forklift into those doors with little damage though (I see that about twice a month:smirk:). But they are SLOOOW and take major power draw. they also tend to scrape on themselves which means they need to be repainted often to keep them looking nice.