Rotating mass (rotors)

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This question it to anyone that has swapped out to some lighter rotors. Can you actually feel the difference in agility, stopping and acceleration ? I know the Porsche guys are always talking about he carbon brakes making such a difference which has led me to thinking of maybe loosing a little bit of weight from the rotating mass department.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Search for a comparison that ILLSMOQ did. Lighter rotors gave him the equivalent acceleration to his buddy's car with a rear end gear change.

Change you can believe in! Reducing unsprung weight is always good!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rotor mass is kind of a double-edged sword. You need to think of the pad/rotor combination as a system of friction generation and heat capacity. Lower mass is great for handling and accerleration. However, mass increase (iron rotors) = greather thermal stability under repeated braking. If you're only stopping hard once or twice (drag or street), then a low temp, grippy pad and light rotor are great. If you're doing heavy DE extended lapping sessions looking for best laps, or road racing, then you need more heat sink for heat conduction (absorbtion,) with efficient cooling vanes for heat convection (airflow cooling.) Heavy rotors are also less prone to warpage.

Carbon-ceramic brakes combine the best of these features - ultra-low mass and high tolerance to extreme heat, but at a rather extreme price level.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Unless you are a VERY accomplished driver, closely attuned to your car, you wont "FEEL" any Seat-of-pants acceleration benefit. But a lap-timer will definitely show it!

What you MIGHT feel is the more resposive steering, Snappier brake tip-in response, and shock-rate response, becasue the lower rotating mass improves these responses. "The Viper Feels More Nimble" is the simplest way to describe the SOTP feel that a good driver WILL notice due to lightening rotors and/or wheels.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, lighter rotors are noticeable on a road course.

More nimble is a good way to phrase it.

Likely most won't feel it but the lap timer will show it as Jon says.

Dan

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my new Stoptech 2 piece rotors. Between the lighter weight rotors and my track wheels.

Between changing out rotors and wheels alone I reduced my rotating mass weight by a good 10 lbs. per wheel, huge difference for me and I can feel it for sure.

...and like JonB says the it is more responsive, my car DEFINITELY turns in better, no doubt about it!

OP
OP
P

Proshop

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok that settels it , they are on the list ! Thanks everyone.

P.S. GTS Dean. Brake rotors dont warp. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc