scratched valve covers

red94viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "5 star" dealer scratched the paint on my valve covers while removing the intake manifold. they want to repaint them, and claim dodge has no engine paint code for them to follow. they want their body shop to match the color. I don't have a good feeling about their process. anyone have ideas about the wisdom of repainting the covers, or are there alternatives for me to pursue. I'm not happy that a viper mechanic would do such shoddy work in the first place, and I want the car to be in the same shape as when I brought it in. Rick

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you, I would powdercoat them to match. Powder coating is durable/tough, has decent temperature protection, and should not chip like paint does. You should be able to get them powdercoated for around $150 for the pair.

I just got my valve covers and extrude honed intake powdercoated in a few colors to match the car. It looks GREAT!

Good Luck!
-Wayne

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red94viper:
My "5 star" dealer scratched the paint on my valve covers while removing the intake manifold. they want to repaint them, .........are there alternatives for me to pursue. .......I want the car to be in the same shape as when I brought it in. Rick <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Accidents happen, even at 5-star, well meaning dealers. Due to all your concers above:

I doubt that he can have the cover repainted or even powercoated for the LOW cost of a new valvecover {from PartsRack for example, depending on venting / side) : About $149 each. The Dealer's internal cost will be below this, and he appears willing to make the fix. The gasket is just a few $$ more.

Take the damaged one as a wall-mounted souvenier! I have one on a plaque that looks way-cool

Powdercoating looks neat, but you cannot just do one valve cover! I saw a yellow motor at VOI-5 in a yellow RT. (Ron-CA)

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back someone posted paint manufacturer's and numbers for the valve covers. Maybe its still on here somewhere. Mine are pretty scratched from all the various times they have been removed, but I don't really care. My car is more daily driver than show boat anyway.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red94viper,
Sorry to hear about the mishap with your valve-cover!
redface.gif

IF I made a mistake like that and I said "IF"! I would do nothing less then replace the valve cover! AT NO CHARGE!!
Like jonb said "accidents happen"! But that Dealer should do better then what they offered you! Five Star or not!

Alot of people on this Board [Lerkers and Posters alike] have called me and told me not to hold back and to let it all hang out! Well here it goes! In my opinion "I think that Five Star rating is a JOKE!"
laugh.gif

When Five Star started 29 years ago with only one survey to go by, you as the Dealer had to be at better then 98% Customer Satisfaction! Then it progressed to three surveys in different categorys better then 94%. Thats cool, it ment that you had to work harder! A few years ago there was and still is a push from DC to get the Dealer Body as a whole to be "FIVE STAR"!
Thats great we need to clean up some of the Dealers BUT they drop the ratings to average and offered to the Dealers Five Star at a PRICE? My blood pressure went up and still is UP!! YOU EARN FIVE STAR NOT BYE IT!! I have been at 100%! And I have worked hard for it!! I DID NOT BYE IT!
I have meet customers [Neons to Vipers] after hours and even on Sundays!! Just to make sure that their experience with a Dealer is a good one! Yes I have made mistakes along the way, but I have bent over backwards to correct them!

OK enough of my ranting! I'm sure I'll get a letter or two over this one! So be it.
smile.gif

On that note, red94viper I would DEMAND a new valve cover!!

Thank you for listening [reading]!
cool.gif

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
You are 5 STAR in my book!
You did earn it.
MHO

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I guess DC needs to come out with a "6 Star" dealership program for the "real" 5 star dealers to belong to...
When you can buy your way in as a 5 Star...it becomes meaningless
MHO
Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302