SCT Flash Programmer

Abq Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

One of our NM members passed this along to me and I thought you might find it interesting if it applies to your VIPER.

Bill
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just wanted to pass on a caution to the other club members that if they purchase and use the SCT Flash Programmer, they need to be very careful when flashing their PCM. Its a really good power option for quick power gains without any tools or downtime of your snake. However I've experienced a slight problem (glitch) in that it erased my stock program and didn't save it as it was supposed to and now my snake is hibernating till I get my PCM re-programmed. I have to send my PCM off to SCT and have them restore the stock program so the programmer can work properly. The SCT programmer comes pre-programmed with 3 custom tunes that you change out with your stock program via your OBD port in about 3 minutes to give up to 40 horsepower. Its no biggie, I just wanted to give the members a heads up because the SCT guys failed to give me the heads up...

Dalton

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Any idea what the "glitch" was? I've used SCT flash programmers for almost 10 years, and have one for my Viper. The only time I've ever had a problem was when I screwed up the install of the modified tune on my '03 Cobra. It was an error on my part, as I thought I had selected the wrong tune and cancelled the installation during the flash. PCS was left "blank". SCT did fix my mistake, though.

The old SCT programmers were not very user friendly, as opposed to the one I use on my Viper. I've used the SCT programmer many times without a hiccup. My only problem was that I found out after hitting the dyno that my "stock" pcm had been modified in the past. :mad:

So yes, the SCT programmer can definitely cause headaches if not used properly. More insight to the problem would definitely be appreciated. I would hate to have to send off my pcm because of either a user error or a SCT malfunction. :crazy2:

Reaction score
One of the helpers is to hook up a battery jump box while you are doing this to insure a constant voltage to the PCM during the flash. With out this there is a greater chance of this happening than without.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ATTENTION EVERYONE:
For those who may have read my forum about SCT Programmers, I am happy to say that Michael at SCTFLASH.COM came through for me.:) I had a glitch with tunning my pcm with an sct flash tuner about a month ago and have been trying to get my snake running since then. But I finally received my new pcm and flash tuner fron SCT this morning and all is well. I still have a couple of small issues with the car running rich and it arrived with only one tune to work with but I'm certain that will all be fixed soon too:headbang:. I did some mods and will need to get the right tunes to match those put into the programmer before I use it anyway... :2tu::headbang::drive:

Dalton (Sniper) Vaughn
96' Blue n White GTS