Seats--Gen 3--killing my back--HELP!!!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seats in my 2003 Viper don't fit my body right and are creating terrible back aches. After driving the car yesterday on and off throughout the day my back (lower and middle) hurt pretty bad. This morning I got up and felt like I had been in a fight. :mad:

Has anyone encountered this issue? Does anyone have a solution? Are there good (comfortable) aftermarket seats I could install? My Gen 1 & 2 did not do this to me, but they put so many contours in the Gen 3 that they hit my back in the wrong place. Not only that, they are hard as a rock. Love the car--hate the seats.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
weight?:dunno:
The Gen-3-4 seats are so much better than the Gen-2 seats...:drive:

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I had the same horrible pain. I went to Relax your Back...it is a chain of stores and they have a back support the is an almost perfect match for color of or seats and has lumbar control.......saved me. Cost was about $150 but worth every dime. Make sure you get the better of the ones they have with the form fitting after use. Let me know if you need more info. sandy g.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you slouching in your seat? Your lower back should be supported by the seat back. If not, try putting a small pillow behind you and see what happens.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 5'9" and 175 pounds and physically fit--workout at least 3-6 times a week. The Gen 1 seats were the most comfortable for me.

That's your problem right there. I'm 5'10" and when I cut down from my normal 205 to my bottom of 174 I realized that I could no longer sit comfortably in chairs at work or in the car. And we're talking 4-figure office chairs. The problem? The fat on my back had gone down and there was not enough natural cushioning. No joke. Once I was back in the 190s I was fine. =)

NOT the best solution, but I can commiserate with your problem!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im fat and they feel great to me..you in shape guys should feel pain..that way things are even

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, if you didn't find a " Relax your Back" I have one near by in Boca.I can have them tell me my dodel number and they also have a catalog. Best to put one on the lower back of the seat and feel "no pain"! I can adjust the lumbar and than it start to form a fit as you use it. Can't drive without it! Let me know if you want me to go by for you. sandy g. Can't hardly notice it since it is about same color as the seats in the gen 3..

ccronald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem on first day of the 4 day trip to the Las Vegas VOI. I moved the seat forward 2 clicks and reclined the back, and the problem was GONE.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The seats in my 2003 Viper don't fit my body right and are creating terrible back aches. After driving the car yesterday on and off throughout the day my back (lower and middle) hurt pretty bad. This morning I got up and felt like I had been in a fight. :mad:

Has anyone encountered this issue? Does anyone have a solution? Are there good (comfortable) aftermarket seats I could install? My Gen 1 & 2 did not do this to me, but they put so many contours in the Gen 3 that they hit my back in the wrong place. Not only that, they are hard as a rock. Love the car--hate the seats.

You had a thread about the same problem with your Gen2 seats. How did you solve that problem? http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/631535-thread-restarted-seats-back-ache.html

Bill

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try taking your wallet out of your hip pocket and putting it in the glove box. Works for me. No kidding. After long drives my back would really hurt. Mostly on right side. I started thinking about the cause and took my wallet out of my pocket. Months have passed and no back problems.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You had a thread about the same problem with your Gen2 seats. How did you solve that problem? http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/631535-thread-restarted-seats-back-ache.html

Bill

I took the bulb on the lumbar support and opened it and pushed as hard as I could to get all the air out and then I screwed the bulb back to a locking position allowing no air in. The lumbar hit too high on my back as does the Gen 3 but there is no adjustment on the Gen 3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, if you didn't find a " Relax your Back" I have one near by in Boca.I can have them tell me my dodel number and they also have a catalog. Best to put one on the lower back of the seat and feel "no pain"! I can adjust the lumbar and than it start to form a fit as you use it. Can't drive without it! Let me know if you want me to go by for you. sandy g. Can't hardly notice it since it is about same color as the seats in the gen 3..

Sandy G, that would be great if you would do that. If I had the model number I could go to there website and find it.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Im 6'3" 205lbs and have no problems with these seats. And i had back surgery 10 years ago. Im just kidding you,but if you have to put a pillow in the Viper to drive it, it's time for the mini van LOL

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im 6'3" 205lbs and have no problems with these seats. And i had back surgery 10 years ago. Im just kidding you,but if you have to put a pillow in the Viper to drive it, it's time for the mini van LOL

I already have a mini-van. :D

So, you are several inches taller than me--that would mean that the cushions and the related contours in the seat would hit our backs at different places. Apparently, the seats hit you in a good place and me in a bad place. Maybe these seats hit taller people on their spine in a better place. So, I will go to my parents and slap them around for creating a short son... :D

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I already have a mini-van. :D

So, you are several inches taller than me--that would mean that the cushions and the related contours in the seat would hit our backs at different places. Apparently, the seats hit you in a good place and me in a bad place. Maybe these seats hit taller people on their spine in a better place. So, I will go to my parents and slap them around for creating a short son... :D

LOL all in good humor:)

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look in the Viper in the morning. I did find the catalg.Item "TravelLite Backrest by Lifeform $135 looks very similar to mine. 1800 222 5728 Relax The Back try out a coule after you find the closest store. Great stuff, got my matress and pillows there also. Let me know what you find. I was in pain like you and do understand!!!!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what to tell you. I'm 5'10'' and the seats are some of the most comfortable performance seats I've been in. The ride is rough on some roads, but the seats being so comfortable for me make it feel fine. I've been on several 5 hour trips and felt great. Maybe I'm just lucky. Good luck!

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It look like the Keri Lumbar cushion. Did you see if there is a store near you?
The stap on the Keri goes around the back ane also on top. I'll keep looking. It looks like mine and you can see the color is almost dead on.........

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Naperville is the closest to you about 102 miles. I'll try to get a hold of the store here in Boca and see if they have a record of what I bought and let you know.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not just height and weight - the spine curvature of your back matters too.

That's exactly it. The back contours hit me wrong. Where my back curves out the seat curves out pushing against my back, and where my back curves in the seat goes in and there is a big gap and no support. I may take it to the local uphostery guy and have him add some cushion on the very back of the bottom to fill up the hole, and then change the contour in the back to something more straight. The most comfortable seats for me have always been flat bottom and flat back--like the old bench seats in a truck. So, the more flat I can make everything the better. Winter project. At least I am keeping my Chiropractor wealthy...

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but if you cant feel well in a Viper seat you must have a real problem with your back!