Short throw shifter?

vpr hlr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have read threads about the B & M, Hurst, SVS short throw shifters. How about the MGW? Which one do people feel has the better " feel" and " throw". Any input would be great.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the B&M and it's ok really there are thereads on this and it seems to be a wash.You can only do so much. The MGW short shaft I think is the way to go. Easy to install. The B&M changes the actual shifter mounted on the tranny. The MGW changes just the shaft.

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On 03-06 I would say get rid of the whole shift mechanism. On 08-09 go with the MGW knob replacement.

Bill

Agreed! I added the MGW knob on my '08 and absolutely love it. Believe it or not, the factory shifter mechanism in the Gen IV cars aren't all that bad. I can't speak for Gen III cars, but in my opinion my '97 GTS could stand to have the entire mechanism replaced as they feel a little loose compared to the Gen IV's. Again, just my opinion...

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I have the B&M and it's ok really there are thereads on this and it seems to be a wash.You can only do so much. The MGW short shaft I think is the way to go. Easy to install. The B&M changes the actual shifter mounted on the tranny. The MGW changes just the shaft.

Not Exactly - While you can just replace the knob and a shorter shaft with MGW - they also make a complete shifter assembly as well. Woodhouse sells it.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I have the complete MGW shifter and is a lot better than OEM. Only sold at Woodhouse. Call Mark, he even has choice of the MGW knobs to complete the whole kit. I have the MGW first strike on mine.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the MGW shifter with the gripper shift knob on my 08. Great shifter/knob combo. I am probably getting the shorty gripper later this year to try it out, but fear reverse would be difficult to engage with the shorter lever arm.

Reaction score
I also have the MGW shifter with the gripper shift knob on my 08. Great shifter/knob combo. I am probably getting the shorty gripper later this year to try it out, but fear reverse would be difficult to engage with the shorter lever arm.

The great thing about the MGW shifter is it has a dual bias spring system that makes stiff positive shifts and also has a very light spring for reverse so even with a short shift knob height it is still easy to get into reverse! :2tu:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The great thing about the MGW shifter is it has a dual bias spring system that makes stiff positive shifts and also has a very light spring for reverse so even with a short shift knob height it is still easy to get into reverse! :2tu:

Mark, I purchased the MGW Shifter that you installed on Vincy's car, and was actually quite surprised at the amount of effort needed to put it into reverse (compared to stock). I emailed George at MGW about my concern, and was told that since it had to travel twice the distance (1-2 gate and 5-6 gate were light, but the R gate was stiff) to get into reverse, that it would be difficult. I had to use two hands until I got used to it, and can't imagine what it would feel like with the shorty gripper. Maybe I just didn't eat my wheaties those first few days :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960