Should I Drive It or Look At It ?

Trrbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok Guys, here's my question - I'v got an 04. In the last month and a half I've put 700 miles on it - roughly 500 miles the first month. At this rate, I will put at least 6000 on it the first year, and if the trend continues, 12,000 the second year, 18,000 the third year, etc.. If not more. I only drive it on the weekends and sometimes during the week.

I've read all the ads for low mileage Vipers, some that have barely been driven at all, yet they are taking a hit on resale. How do I sell my Viper 3 or 4 years from now "if not sooner" with 18,000+ miles on it and get any kind of resale value ? Do I drive the damn thing and just have fun and not worry about mileage, or do I control myself and limit myself to just a few hundred miles a year ?

What do most Viper owners do ? Surely this question has come up before but I could not find anything on it. How many miles a year is practical? I really want to drive my car and not just look at it and be afraid that every time I drive it I am losing money.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont worry about it. It's a car and meant to be driven mine has 10k on it and is a year and a half old. Drive it like it was designed to be driven

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a rare vintage one off car. It's a Dodge! Yes it's a bitchen car, that's why I say drive it and get all the attention possible. I wouldn't take it to Home Depot to get fertalizer, but take it out to dinner etc...

If the car were to GAIN value from not driving, then possible let it sit. But it will lose value either way. DRIVE it.....!!!

I put 1400 miles on mine in 2 days driving it home from Dallas to Cali. I bought it there. It was a nice drive though.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See if you can hit 100,000 miles! Don't worry about 500 miles!

I wish I could drive my GTS 6000 miles a year!! Enjoy it!! :2tu:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
DRIVE IT, and enjoy it...just take good care of it !

Casey: drive it to Dean's and put some more miles on it !!!

g3173

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dude you've got to drive it bro! Don't worry about value and depreciation! It's a car not a house....

Gene

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to decide if the car was purchased as an investment or a transporation/enjoyment item. As an investment it ranks pretty low for short term captial gains and fairly good for captial loss for the immediate future. No one likes to see capital desolve but, that is generally the way with newer cars. You will find much better investments than your viper. As a means of transportation while providing exhilaration,pleasure,and pride of ownership,.. it delivers by the ton. Your choice is simple!
Enjoy the miles!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MORE you drive it the less it will cost per MILE. If you just park it, you will pay the most per MILE.
Your car will depreciate no matter what you do. Vipers tend to have high % residuals. Much better than run of the mill cars.
The best return on investment is the enjoyment you receive from the total ownership experience.
Get involved with your local club, and enjoy the heck out of the friendship.
PRICELESS.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine because I wanted a unique driving experience, not a trophy that I keep hidden away and only bring out to show at selected times. It's a car, enjoy it!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it.
Drive it lots.

When something wears out, and it's past the warranty period, be happy. That's your cue to start modding the car.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One more vote for DRIVE IT. My SRT has 1600 miles on it and I think about the same long term equation. When you go to sell the car in a few years, a lower mileage car may garner 4-5k, maybe 8-10k more than your average mileage viper.

What is 4-5k when you are talking about an 80k car. Drive it and enjoy it. Or, I'll pay you 5k and ENJOY IT FOR YOU for the next few years. :)

Have fun!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say DON'T drive it.

Why???? you ask.

Because I'll be in Dallas the end of September and need a car, LET ME DRIVE IT.

VCA Members don't let fellow VCA Members drive rental cars.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

hahaha!

OP
OP
T

Trrbo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I think a few people started to answer my question, but a few are holding back. Everyone agrees to drive it, and that's what I want to do. But I know some people in our local club that seldom drive their Vipers. Or when the get to a certain mileage, they don't drive it as much.

I know Vipers aren't like Vets, most are not driven daily. Most sit in the garage until the Weekend.

How many miles do you have on your 03 or 04 Viper ? How often do you drive it ?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every freakin day! I haven't had it a full year yet and am closing in on 13000 miles. Can anyone say I would have enjoyed my time more with the SRT if I only had 2000 miles on it? That would be like 11,000 miles worth of sitting in the garage acting like it's a painting. Nice to look at, but useless. The Viper has a good use.

By the way, I do go to Home Depot and have put fertilizer in the trunk and Leyland Cypress trees in the front seat. BFHD! It's a car (A NICE car!)

N CHARG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it... I have a 00 and has 30K on it. I live in Dallas where we get 11 months of good driving... I have never had the problem I hear about in the clubs.. my battery was dead... drive it and enjoy it.