Side exit exhaust options please.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, Ive decided that to get the Le mans look I need to add Side exit exhausts :) Plan is to install my Bellanger headers (which I have had sitting on the shelve for well over a year), 3 inch turnouts, I have a set of 3 inch Hi flow cats that I picked up second hand (but I don't know the make, they have a heat shield on one side and seem to be crimp welded?)

So what kind of silencer do I need? The car currently has no cats, and I cant make my mind up weather to go with the Hi flows or just ditch them? I do like the idea of the odd orange flash / flame on the engine overrun or under hard acceleration :D

If any of you guys could post some pics of your set up, that would be great.

Would also like to know the makes of silencer :)
Thanks.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subjectivelly, it's going to be much louder with the side exhaust, since you'll have the tips right next to your ear, so cats are probably a good idea. Are you planning on putting a diffuser in the rear to fill the gap?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Generally one gets the flame effect under decel as unburned fuel ignites at the end of the pipe. I like the effect too...especially on the track where the police aren't around!

If you're running on the street, you'll probably need to exit like the #17 in the pic below....and you'll have room for cats or at least a resonator. If you go for max ear-piercing exit point, like the #9 below, you won't have much room for anthing but pipe and trust me, earplugs become a necessity under load at higher rpms.

DSC_00483.JPG

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a side exit like that PM me I know someone who has it and is looking to go back to rear exit.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger headers, Random ceramic cats, Magnaflow muffler.

LOUD, but not mind bending loud. Although I did have one chick tell me it's the loudest car she'd even been in lol.

You must be registered for see images

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having driven both orange/black cars above, I would highly recommend the construction Dave6666 pic illustrates. Probably won't get as much flame action, but you'll be able to hear.....

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, that's a nice set up :2tu:

DrumrBoy

My friend has just imported a NARRA Race GTS, the side exit exhausts look like those on the Number 9 car you posted up, When he started it up in the shipping warehouse, it did not sound that loud? My rear exit GTS is currently kicking out 128db :D

Indy

I have the Autoform 4 Blade rear diffuser on the car at the moment but plan to make a plate from Alli to fill the hole :)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Moley Fatboy! 128 dB is really loud. My car is the #9 and it usually gets 112 dB at 100 feet on the track and if I forget to put the custom block-all-sound earplugs in before i go out for a session I can't concentrate....for all the blood coming out my ears!

Good luck with the project, ....and post a video of the result! We wanna hear that beast ;-)

Able1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be a wuss, I tried Daves set up and took it off. I am currently running Radom tech high flow cats and 2010 viper stock mufflers and turn outs, which for me is doable but still dam loud. What ever you do do not cut holes in your side seals until you run it with the side pipes first, this way you can go back to rear exit without repairing the side seal covers. I tried 6 different pairs of mufflers and the 2010 stock exhaust was the best so far (still looking). I am also using side seals from Autoform so I can go back to stock rear exhaust. Good Luck!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, Ive decided that to get the Le mans look I need to add Side exit exhausts :) Plan is to install my Bellanger headers (which I have had sitting on the shelve for well over a year), 3 inch turnouts, I have a set of 3 inch Hi flow cats that I picked up second hand (but I don't know the make, they have a heat shield on one side and seem to be crimp welded?)

So what kind of silencer do I need? The car currently has no cats, and I cant make my mind up weather to go with the Hi flows or just ditch them? I do like the idea of the odd orange flash / flame on the engine overrun or under hard acceleration :D

If any of you guys could post some pics of your set up, that would be great.

Would also like to know the makes of silencer :)
Thanks.
On my old 91 GTSR replica I did hi hl flo cats with headers and NO mufflers. I had holes cut in the OEM side skirts and an aluminum heat plate riveted right behind the exhaust outlet. AWESOME sound and looks to say the least. Holes drilled about 3/4th the way back on skirts. They were straight pipes right off the hi flo cats. Would do the exact same thing again as it worked flawlessly. I also had the chrome tips as Dave's shows for a finished look but not really as per the Oreca cars had.

mmcc269

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave6666... I just ordered the same random tech cats and magnaflow stainless steels for my gen1... Where did you get the rear turndowns and exhaust tips - did you have someone fab that up for you?

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS-R91

I still have the photos of your old car, Needless to say its been a bit of an influence to me :) It was a real shame it got totaled :( Is the guy still living?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS-R91

I still have the photos of your old car, Needless to say its been a bit of an influence to me :) It was a real shame it got totaled :( Is the guy still living?
That is a BIG compliment to me Fatboy 18 and many thanks plus a great memory you have !! Unfortunately I guess he is still alive and probably still a common criminal. He only spent 6 months in jail a YEAR after the theft. Keep your car alive and enjoy it. You are lucky. Mark

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a BIG compliment to me Fatboy 18 and many thanks plus a great memory you have !! Unfortunately I guess he is still alive and probably still a common criminal. He only spent 6 months in jail a YEAR after the theft. Keep your car alive and enjoy it. You are lucky. Mark

The Oreca theme is alive and well, tearing up the tracks out here in California.

Attachments

• Viper Front.jpg
    Viper Front.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, Do you have any sound clip Videos of your set up? Do you know how many dbs your Kicking out?
Thanks.

No, no, but you can't talk to the person next to you at WOT. It rattles the dishes in the cabinets in the other end of the house when the car is idling in the garage. Not sure why anyone would want louder. My ears ring after a few stop signs or traffic lights on party drives.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, no, but you can't talk to the person next to you at WOT. It rattles the dishes in the cabinets in the other end of the house when the car is idling in the garage. Not sure why anyone would want louder. My ears ring after a few stop signs or traffic lights on party drives.

I'm guessing age does that to you...

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redsled, that thing is sick! Do you have any videos?

Here's one a firend put together some time ago. He's in the GT3 Cup Car, my other buddy is in the Roush Trans Am Mustang. This was a private track day where we were playing around. Lots of passing room and space given as it was just for fun and our cars were all classed together. Late in the video I make a mistake and.................. you'll see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oLuQT9_s4

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good deal to be able to hang with the TA Mustang. Unless it was turned way down, those things are usually over 800 HP right?

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got tired of dave6666's tirades and put him on my ignore list. Don't know him but don't associate with rude people.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got tired of dave6666's tirades and put him on my ignore list. Don't know him but don't associate with rude people.
That's a shame, I didn't read it that way, it came across to me as a bit of light ribbing, no harm intended?

Anyway, lets get back on subject ;)