So I know drive by wire was updated in 09...

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were to add the Mopar controller to a 2008 car, is it more or less the same thing?

I realize there are more benefits to the Mopar ECU, just wondering specifically about the drive by wire.

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you were to add the Mopar controller to a 2008 car, is it more or less the same thing?

I realize there are more benefits to the Mopar ECU, just wondering specifically about the drive by wire.

I thought the 08's-10's were identical?

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Mopar controller greatly improves throttle response in 2008.

Reaction score
According to The people I know there were only emissions things changed and any throttle response improvements were from that alone, no mapping was ever updated. The Mopar PCM will in fact improve response, but mostly because it does not run so rich at tip in.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What mark said. There weren't any changes to the DBW from '08-'09. Common misconception.
According to The people I know there were only emissions things changed and any throttle response improvements were from that alone, no mapping was ever updated. The Mopar PCM will in fact improve response, but mostly because it does not run so rich at tip in.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know what changes were done specifically. I went from 06 to 08 and hated the throttle response with drive by wire. Put in the mopar controller and the delay/lag was gone. At a tech day presentations one of the SRT engineers commented that the thottle for 09 was improved when we were complaining about it. I guess I don't remember him saying how.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an '09 and have a '10 and the response was the same on both..bad.
Especially coming from a Gen 2 GTS.
I think I stalled it 20 times it requires so much more conscious throttle application.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can one just put in an 09/10 pcm into an 08 ? If not why?
Are the pedals or throttle bodies different? If so, how?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The $264,000 question is whether this will be fixed on the Gen V's:omg:

Both my former 2007 and current 2010 Grand Cherokee SRT8 have excellent throttle response using a similar system, so it's definitely doable!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got it on a 2009 and I do not feel that it is worth it for just the throttle response. Sorry, the throttle response on all Gen 4's is crappy compared to normal high performance cars. It is not as noticeable on the track since you're at higher rpms, but the DBW makes street driving weird. If every other car I own or have ever driven was laggy, then it would not be an issue. But 30 year of driving cars with great tip in and then jumping into the Viper makes it uber noticeable.

In the "Tuning" section of the forum, I've asked SRT if it is possible to have the Mopar PCM updated for faster throttle response on tip in since it is already a non emissions pcm....and my understanding is the laggy throttle response is to help the car pass emissions.

This is my biggest complaint about the driveability of the Gen 4 platform.

George

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I dislike is the "hang" the throttle has. When I rev the engine in neutral, and let go of the pedal, the RPM hangs a bit and slowly comes down. When I am on the freeway cruising and let off of the gas to coast a bit, it lurches after you let off, as if you let off, pressed the throttle and let off again.

I would love the Mopar PCM, however the $1,000 price of admission to improve something that shouldn't be an issues is ********.

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an '09 and have a '10 and the response was the same on both..bad.
Especially coming from a Gen 2 GTS.
I think I stalled it 20 times it requires so much more conscious throttle application.

The real reason behind this issue is that Jon is old and tends to fall asleep a lot.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No "blipping" the throttle in a Gen 4.
It doesn't respond.

You would think that will all the complaints, SRT would have some sort of fix for this (even if it is only for the non emissions pcm).

I've got a couple of "fixes" that I use, I'll start another thread later to give a review of some of the products that I've installed to specifically try to fix this issue.

Although I've tried to remedy the situation, it still is not correct....especially when my FBW turbo diesel pickup is way more responsive on tip in than my Gen 4. :mad:

Cheers,
George

F

FrgMstr

I came from an 05 to an 08. Throttle response was so bad that I basically could no longer heal / toe the car in aggressive cornering without some major relearning, and in my opinion that was just "not right." Put in the Mopar ECU and that issue cleared up at speed. Throttle still laggy compared to the 05 from idle, but that is not that big of a deal. And while I will say it is still not "crisp" at speed, it was certainly adaptable. I also felt as though the Mopar ECU made the power come on a bit smoother from 3000 to 4000 RPM. Not sure if I am correct on this, but I did notice a difference, but maybe just my imagination. It did certainly seem the back end was a lot easier to keep hooked up after the Mopar ECU running through first gear. It had some older stock tires at that time, so those were 4 years old.

The Mopar ECU is not street legal and here in Texas, I will have to switch out to get the car inspected. Something to think about concerning your local laws.

Hope this helps you some.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe there is a variation between cars. My 09 has far superior throttle response than my previous 03.

Blip all the time : >)

Maybe so, but you're the only one who ever said it was better that I recall.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Maybe so, but you're the only one who ever said it was better that I recall.

This was my only complaint when I got my 09. I drove my Gen3 out, then almost stalled my 09 backing into my driveway the 1st time. I have never heard anyone else say the Gen4 throttle response is better then a Gen3.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....waiting for Dan Lesser......:eater:

If anyone has tinkered with fixing it extensively, it is probably him.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
....waiting for Dan Lesser......:eater:

If anyone has tinkered with fixing it extensively, it is probably him.

Ya, I remember reading a couple of posts by him that really explained it well. Gave me hope that it could be fixed.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Virtually impossible for the 09 having better throttle response especially since the 03-06 cars have more torque below 3500. You may have had issues with your tune or engine not running properly. The only possibility is the 03-06 cars did have a flat spot throttle response between 3,000-4,000 due to running very rich from the factory. It felt most like a brief hesitation when into the throttle at that RPM. With a tune, the go peddle into instant forward motion.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Virtually impossible for the 09 having better throttle response especially since the 03-06 cars have more torque below 3500. You may have had issues with your tune or engine not running properly. The only possibility is the 03-06 cars did have a flat spot throttle response between 3,000-4,000 due to running very rich from the factory. It felt most like a brief hesitation when into the throttle at that RPM. With a tune, the go peddle into instant forward motion.

Nader, I respectfully disagree with the 09 being impossible to have better throttle response. I can change the speed of the throttle response right now with an inline TPS fooler. It helps, but it is still not right, it just makes it "feel" faster. Our cars have less torque than the Gen 3's down low, the laggy throttle makes it feel weaker than it is. I think the slow throttle response is strickly an emissions issue so the car can pass the good ole smog test.

Your comment brings up a good question, will a faster throttle response allow the car to run right if the rest of the PCM isn't tuned for the faster throttle tip in and will the air/fuel curve be ok?? So far with the TPS fooler I'm using, it doesn't seem affect power (no flat spots, hesitation, etc) from tip in....it just shortens the entire length of pedal travel so if I'm at 25% thottle, the computer now thinks it's 75% for example.

Cheers,
George

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Having driven a few 2008's, then driving and owning 2, 2009's, the throttle response IS better with the 2009, not good, but better.

The Mopar Race Controller improves on the 2009's throttle response IMHO, but it's still not what it should be.

Unfortunately for some, the car does matter as some cars run better than others.....and there are things you can do to improve throttle repsonse as George says.

Also, at higher RPM's at the track, the issue largely disappears for me. Heel and toe is not an issue for me and rev matching is pretty easy but does take time to learn compared with the older Gens.

Throttle "hang up" at the track is still very annoying and can screw up your shift timing unless you work hard at it.

In time with practice, we all learn to "drive around" the mediocre throttle response of the Gen IV Vipers, but SRT should address this problem by reprogramming all Gen IVs with a better calibration.

Dan

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to do the Mopar unit and then swap for emissions testing but at $1000 and several reports of it lowering hp output, it seemed a tough call unless you were doing full header/exhaust setup, which I'd have done except in MD I don't know how you'd ever pass emissions, you have to swap the stock ECU back for the oBD read and then you throw codes due to the exhaust. So not for me.

I've not driven a 09 or 10, but guys report it's better, but better is subjective. I can only compare my 03, which I did have a tune in form DC from the get go, and throttle response was significantly off on the 08 by comparison. I've completely adjusted to it, but it was weird at first for sure. I can blip my car though no problem and heel/toe no problem and do all the time, so not sure about those that can't. The 08 spins up the power like its got a centrifugal charger on it, feels underwhelming below 3k and then starts to rip your face off to redline.

Dave.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven a few '08s and a couple '09s. The '09s had better throttle response than the '08s IMO. Maybe variations from car to car? Neither as good as the 2 '02s Ive owned. I also remember SRT techs representing that cnanges in the programming on the '09s allowed for better throttle response than '08s

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was buying my 08 I was sitting in the guys garage and started it up. I blipped the throttle and thought something was wrong with the car. I read about the DBW but it still shocked me. I thought maybe the car had to warm up. Driving home the car felt great but I was cruising all highways. I am getting used to the slow throttle response but it does ****, especially coming from a s/c 99. My plan is to go with headers, ported intake, and mopar computer. Don't have to worry about emissions as I drive less than 5k per year.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Crossfire and a 300C. The drive-by-wire is terrible on both those cars, but in different ways. The 300C just plain lags altogether. Blipping the throttle does nothing at all. The Crossfire has an adaptive DBW that seems to respond to blips, but changes the ramp up every time you drive. If you drive like grandma, you get a slower ramp in throttle curve from a light. If you drive like me, you get a more aggressive throttle curve most of the time. The Sprint Booster is supposed to always make the controller think you drive like me, even when you drive like grandma so you seem to get a faster response, but in reality you are just getting a more aggressive throttle curve, not quicker response time. So the question is, does the GEN4 PCM have an adaptive throttle curve, or is it just plain slow to initially respond like the 300? I heard that the GEN5 PCM will collect more data per second, so maybe it will collect throttle movements quicker.

Nothing feels as quick as my GEN2.