So I pulled the cats and my car now sounds like crap, what should I do

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what about us Gen 1s? Would it be the same or better off that we cut off the cats entirely? Cause welding another muffler behind the other seems crammed up. I was going to remove my cats and muffler and have a cherry bomb installed.. Would that work or be WAY Too loud? I can only assume that there might be a difference in dealing with the side exhaust setup than second gen rear exhaust.

I have rear exit exhaust, but if you want to hear my setup of Borla headers, Moroso spiral flow mufflers in place of OEM cats, and rear muffler delete setup, give me a call/text and I'll come by

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor... Pickup the phone, and call JonB. GO with Random Techs 3' Ceramics..... They are very reasonable. And WELL worth it.. Your car will sound and run cooler and better.. I tried everything.... And my goals were the exact same as yours. Reduce Heat, keep noise level to a manageable level.

I don't understand how any of you guys run without Cats... I drove my 2001 without Cats for all of 5 miles, before I ordered high flows. And had the very same shop cut off all the weld work they had just done the weekend before, and put on the High Flows... The car sounded AWESOME when it was finished!!

My car sounded AND ran terrible, And felt weaker without the Cats.

I guess that the Hi-flows could be used as mufflers, although they were never designed for that purpose ...

Even when I gutted the cats on the wife's new Hemi pickup my intention was to decrease the resistance to the engine's outflow. It did sound a little bit more throaty, but I think I got 1 mpg increase (which would also mean a hp increase).

In case anyone thinks that restricting the exhaust adds power - not true! Headers gain power and that is obvious from the increased noise. Kind of like choking yourself, choking the exhuast hurts performance and mileage.

Ted

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor... Pickup the phone, and call JonB. GO with Random Techs 3' Ceramics..... They are very reasonable. And WELL worth it.. Your car will sound and run cooler and better.. I tried everything.... And my goals were the exact same as yours. Reduce Heat, keep noise level to a manageable level.

I don't understand how any of you guys run without Cats... I drove my 2001 without Cats for all of 5 miles, before I ordered high flows. And had the very same shop cut off all the weld work they had just done the weekend before, and put on the High Flows... The car sounded AWESOME when it was finished!!

My car sounded AND ran terrible, And felt weaker without the Cats.

I had high flows on with a Borla cat back on my GTS and when I took the cats off it sounded much better. Performance was the same, no codes, and WAY cooler side sills. I can idle around town on a hot day and get out and hold my hand on the side sill and its warm but never too hot to touch. Before I took the cats off it was way too hot to touch. I would never have cats again on a GEN 2.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have Cherry Bombs climbed the food chain since they were the standard for redneck pickup truck mods in the 70's?

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case anyone thinks that restricting the exhaust adds power - not true! Ted

I'm not so sure about that... Maybe someone with a little more knowledge than both of us, can comment.. I have always been told on certain cars, at certain HP levels,with smog equipt., that some backpressure is be a good thing....:dunno:
Now if were talking about a ProStreet car, with no PCM, No smog, different story. But were talking about a 2001 car with a PCM, smog,etc,etc. The car is NOT intended to run with no cats.

All I can go by is my real world experience. And honestly, I dont have any before and after dyno numbers to back this up. What I can tell you is, my 2001 did NOT like having Cat Delete.. Not 1 bit.
It very well could benefit a car more with mods (such as yours). My car was bone stock. who knows.

Reaction score
Every car that has come through here that we dyno'ed without cats had less power in the midrange whether it was torque or HP. They did make more on the VERY top end but sacrificed to much in the sweet spot for our/my taste. My last race car I did extensive back to back testing and it was always faster with a cat than without. FWIW

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is a basically stock Gen 2 GTS. I had the roasting sills problem, and didn't love the exhaust note.

I put on the high flow stainless from JonB, running through stock exhaust thereafter. JonB, who's customer service is near legendary, had the guy who makes the cats get on a conference call with me since I'm a freak about exhaust noise. Told me exactly what to expect, gave me confidence in the choice.

Results - -

Side sills are cooler but too hot to touch at the 'bend' in the pipe area. Far better at passenger space. In fact, this area is a 'non concern' now.

Exhaust note SLIGHTLY louder, deeper. I much prefer both outcomes since I hate 'loud'. Car feels quicker, but that's a mental measurement only. The exhaust noise is very pleasant, no drone of course, and sounds like a performance car.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every car that has come through here that we dyno'ed without cats had less power in the midrange whether it was torque or HP. They did make more on the VERY top end but sacrificed to much in the sweet spot for our/my taste. My last race car I did extensive back to back testing and it was always faster with a cat than without. FWIW

:2tu::2tu:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it extremely hard to believe that catalytic converters add power. Mine were replaced by cherry bombs and a Corsa 3" and it definitely made the car more responsive and harder pulling. The sound is much better; not loud but much more suitable for a performance car. This is on a GTS, by the way.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So what about us Gen 1s? Would it be the same or better off that we cut off the cats entirely? Cause welding another muffler behind the other seems crammed up. I was going to remove my cats and muffler and have a cherry bomb installed.. Would that work or be WAY Too loud? I can only assume that there might be a difference in dealing with the side exhaust setup than second gen rear exhaust.

NO ! SidePipe cars that are catless are very backfire-poppy / ratty sounding to most adult ears. HF Cats can have a body as short as 8"....they can be combined with any number of cheap-o glasspacks and they sound pretty good ...certainly better than Gen1 Stock: YUCK!

And, no cats = 8 litres of STINK come out 22" from your hair and clothes. Peee-Yeeewww.

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well guys i'm gonna order some 2.5" high flow cats.

I did a lot of searching and found someone on the sight that went through the exact same experience as me..there is something about the corsa 3" and a cat delete that just sounds and drones terribly...after his trial and error with different setups he finally got a real nice setup and told me about it. Instead of spending close to $300 on high flow cats I'm gonna get these 2.5" ebay units and run em for under $40 each. He said they made the car sound perfect.

Thunderbolt High Flow universal Catalytic Converter 2.5:eBay Motors (item 370205262107 end time Sep-19-09 08:11:26 PDT)

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do what others have done. Cut the stock cats in half. Weld on the outlets cut to a 3" opening to fit your Corsa. The only expense besides your time would be welding which is cheap if you can find a local muffler shop with a good welder. Or do it yourself.

I second this route. It's exactly what my vipertech did and it sounds great. If you still have your stock cats it won't cost you anything except labor. Sounds great, much better then with stock cats, no drone and passes the strict CA smog sniffer test. I have headers and Corsa catback.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved how it sounded when the cats were on it, but I don't want the cats due to the heat, and have a hard time spending a lot of money they are asking for the hi flow cats...with the possibility of them still sounding like butt.

Dude, Proven aftermarket hi-flow cats are available for about 300bucks for the PAIR from some of our vendors such as PArtsRack & ROERacing. Do you know howmuch stock cats cost? About 500-600 a piece:omg:

These hi-flow cats that we use are a bargain. why even consider buying a tincan off ebay???:dunno:

your situation is ameture night. goodluck with whatever you do though:)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be me. Have had them on for several years now with zero issues..even with the blower and headers on. FYI these are rebadged by others under their $$$$ brand name...as I'm sure other do as well. VCA members 'round here know how my car sounds.

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, Proven aftermarket hi-flow cats are available for about 300bucks for the PAIR from some of our vendors such as PArtsRack & ROERacing. Do you know howmuch stock cats cost? About 500-600 a piece:omg:

These hi-flow cats that we use are a bargain. why even consider buying a tincan off ebay???:dunno:

your situation is ameture night. goodluck with whatever you do though:)

just because you don't buy from a vendor makes something not good. These are proven to sound good and be a nice product, so why the hell not buy them!? I prefer not to throw around money if you don't need to.

btw...try using spellcheck...thanks

OP
OP
D

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be me. Have had them on for several years now with zero issues..even with the blower and headers on. FYI these are rebadged by others under their $$$$ brand name...as I'm sure other do as well. VCA members 'round here know how my car sounds.
thanks again for the info! I ordered the set and can't wait to get them on!

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well guys i'm gonna order some 2.5" high flow cats.

I did a lot of searching and found someone on the sight that went through the exact same experience as me..there is something about the corsa 3" and a cat delete that just sounds and drones terribly...after his trial and error with different setups he finally got a real nice setup and told me about it. Instead of spending close to $300 on high flow cats I'm gonna get these 2.5" ebay units and run em for under $40 each. He said they made the car sound perfect.

Thunderbolt High Flow universal Catalytic Converter 2.5:eBay Motors (item 370205262107 end time Sep-19-09 08:11:26 PDT)

Is there a reason for 2.5" instead of the 3"?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hey EV

got to tell ya i miss the boy in your old avatar, he looked so cool standing there

:drive:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second this route. It's exactly what my vipertech did and it sounds great. If you still have your stock cats it won't cost you anything except labor. Sounds great, much better then with stock cats, no drone and passes the strict CA smog sniffer test. I have headers and Corsa catback.

how do you cut the catalyst (innerds) and keep air flow :dunno:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be me. Have had them on for several years now with zero issues..even with the blower and headers on.

Possibly because they do nothing and are simply a steel pipe with a dumby honeycomb containing No catalyst wich might explain why they are cheaper then a pair of kmart shoes.

FYI these are rebadged by others under their $$$$ brand name...

do elaborate...

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've "E" mailed the company President to ask about "brand naming" and how his products compare to those of Random Tech, Dynamax, Magnaflow, etcetera. Here is the link:
Canammex Exhaust - Catalytic Converters, Mufflers

Some of the Vette/Mustang/other forums made some linkage to Magnaflow spun cats but that info may/may not be accurate. I thought several years ago I had a link to some aftermarket user of these cats. Oh well. I'll retract my brand naming assertion...for now...until I hear back from the company (if they will disclose that to some smuck in Florida!). For what its worth, I have yet to find a post on the other forums indicating anything but positive reviews of these products.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm using stock exhaust manifolds that is 2.5", and the inlet to the corsa 3" exhaust is 2.5" at the resonator

I just got mine done today and it sounds great with corsa 3' and without cats :dunno: however my guy did do some neat work covering it up with some material (fiberglass I think) to keep the fumes and heat to minimum in the cabin. Sounds great at idle, great when crusing and screams when you nail it. There is no popping noise on decel and not much drone either. It pulls quicker as well or feels like it, i guess it's an individuals preference when it comes to exhaust.

isanti

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My 95 I just pulled the cats, ran stock mufflers and the car was pretty quiet still. Sounded better than before but still wanted more noise. If I hadn't gotten rid of the car I would have swapped mufflers.

My 93 has no cats and magnaflow mufflers. Sounds sweet at idle but I don't like the sound much when on the gas. Extremely loud in a more race car sound to it. Doesn't appear that the magnaflows are doing much so HP is probably improved.

97 has 02 headers, no cats, and borla 3" exhaust and definitly isn't too loud. I was suppriesed how quiet it is compared to my brothers but IDK, sounds good IMO.