sold my C6Z06 and got a 08 coupe

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
below 4,000 RPM's not that impressive - above 4,000 RPM's it is an absolute "beast" - I think the drive by wire throttle causes this - it certainly "snuck up" on me (see sig. below) and I have driven /drag raced many fast cars

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.07 gears...Viper is geared high...had to to maintain the torque and HP...unlike the Z06 which has other add-ons to help the driver. Walter...PM your VIN# to Kcobean and he'll upgrade you to Viper Owner and congratulations! WHAT 08 Coupe didya get??? PICS!!!! AND, bug your dealership about turning in the paperwork for your FREE VCA MEMBERSHIP! ~juli

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AT the VOI perf. talks the engineer said that the cam-in-cam results in less torque but it was produced purely for emissions.

You're saying the vette has more torque??? That doesn't sound right. You must be writing of an automatic that has a torque convertor which is a 'soft hookup'. "Feels" faster, but is mostly slower.

You aren't trying to tell us that your old 505hp vette is comarable to a 600hp Viper? Nononono, that's wrong - get it fixed!

Ted

OP
OP
W

waltershu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AT the VOI perf. talks the engineer said that the cam-in-cam results in less torque but it was produced purely for emissions.

You're saying the vette has more torque??? That doesn't sound right. You must be writing of an automatic that has a torque convertor which is a 'soft hookup'. "Feels" faster, but is mostly slower.

You aren't trying to tell us that your old 505hp vette is comarable to a 600hp Viper? Nononono, that's wrong - get it fixed!

Ted

No i,m not saying the vett is stronger.what i,m saying the C6 Z06 is more explosive in first gear.The vett doesn't compare to the power of the viper.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be wrong.but it feels like the viper needs more gear.its not as explosive as the vett.;)

Your not wrong definately could use more gear.All in all same day ,same track ,same driver 08 approx 1-2 tenths quicker than the Vette.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08Z06...and also drove a couple of 08 Vipers...I stuck with the Z for the same reasons...

You will get a hell lot more looks on the snake though!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No i,m not saying the vett is stronger.what i,m saying the C6 Z06 is more explosive in first gear.The vett doesn't compare to the power of the viper.

Thanks for explaining that better. 1st gear is fast in slower cars as the Viper is built as a supercar, not a 50mph road car (although specs show the Viper is faster 0-60mph. My car starts to get traction around 80mph and anything under that is just for burnouts an show (loud exhaust is impressive at big rpm). Car pulls hard as well, but high speed is where these cars really show their "STUFF". Not traffic lights.

Fastest accel. (max. traction) is spinning the tires about 7-11% faster than the car is actually going. Trouble is trying to judge that much (slight) slippage and adjusting your foot closer to the floor as the speed increases until, finally you can put your foot to the floor. Rougher pavement has more traction by the way.

Ted

Ted

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be wrong.but it feels like the viper needs more gear.its not as explosive as the vett.;)

I traded my C6Z06 for a 08 viper as well. I can tell you first hand that the viper pulls harder than my z06 did. Now don't get me wrong the Z06 is awsome in it's own right. How many miles do you have on your 08?

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take off in first gear and start shifting close to red line at each gear and than you feel the explosion of the power.theres no comparsion with the power from a zo6 and 08 viper.be careful when you start to open her upshe can get loose.the z06 is a great car but the viper is a stronger car.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Not enough gear" is a good problem, because it doesn't have to be corrected by lowering the rear end ratio... Just add power instead :)

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is my opinion and I'm sure others will have theirs (no flame wars please). Breaking in a motor with synthetic oil takes longer because of the reduced friction qualities of the oil. You won't see 100% until roughly 2K miles. My Z06 was the same way it took roughly 2k miles before the motor seemed to reach it's peak horse power potential. I would take it easy for at least another 400 to 500 miles, but that's just me..

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deceptive feeling power, these Vipers have...

Unless there is a car beside you to reference or a clock to judge, it is very deceptive!:drive:

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When your ready to unload the beast and see it's potential as compared to the z06 do the following:D.

Find yourself a track or an open road with plenty of roomand no joe public in site.
At a stand still in first gear rev the engine to 2500 RPM and dump the clutch and peg the throttle at the same time, run through 1ST - 3RD shifting at 6k each time. Then come back and tell us if it differers from the Z06...:headbang:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deceptive feeling power, these Vipers have...

Unless there is a car beside you to reference or a clock to judge, it is very deceptive!:drive:

VERY true.Any way you look at it you have got a 10second car (correct driver ect )oot of the box with a full warrant ect.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an older Z06 and a GTS...have had 6 other vettes...and I can tell ya', the VIPER by far gets the most attention...AND...if I want to have a little fun around town, the Viper is the one I take out:)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've never owned a vette, a Z28 or even a mustang.

However I've always had a 440 in my garage since the 70's. I'vwe owned every single muscle car Mopar ever built. Like Hurst and Carroll Shelby all my fastest cars were lightweight 440 cars and none lasted longer than 6 months before they got heavy modifications and became fast.

And yet we all seem to have the same outlook on life that the Viper is fastest?

Ted

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 08Z06...and also drove a couple of 08 Vipers...I stuck with the Z for the same reasons...

You will get a hell lot more looks on the snake though!

Tailwag i remember you from the 'Corvette forum', your Z06 is modded like my 07 Z was correct? A tune and a CAI brings the Z's up 40rwhp.:dunno:
My 08 coupe with headers will bury a tuned c6 Z. I've noticed the Viper get stronger the more miles it has on it.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my opinion and I'm sure others will have theirs (no flame wars please). Breaking in a motor with synthetic oil takes longer because of the reduced friction qualities of the oil. You won't see 100% until roughly 2K miles. My Z06 was the same way it took roughly 2k miles before the motor seemed to reach it's peak horse power potential. I would take it easy for at least another 400 to 500 miles, but that's just me..[/quote]

Nope, agreed here as well on the 2K miles! The SRT Engineers even acknowledged that as well...once we hit the 'sweet' spot of 2,000 miles, the motor is fully 'broken in'...right now it's 'green'. The motor just pulls stronger and stronger as we reach that milestone of 2K~!!! LOVE it...we ARE BITTEN...we cannot ever go back~~~lol! ~juli

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The gear makes the most difference for the Z and the traction control does the rest. This is only noticable from a dead stop. It is not uncommon for the Z to jump out 2-3 car lengths on the street. From a roll it is a different story.

The 3:55's have been ordered for mine. It will not make the 2008 quicker but will give it that 1st gear snap thats missing as well as better highway gearing for 6th gear.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Gearing. My "only 400hp" Gen 1 with 3:73 gears also felt more explosive than my SRT out of the hole. If I dont go with some sort of forced induction, a set of 3:33 gears will go in. I seem to recall that the Z has 3:42 rear gearing as a comparison.

Last edited:

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 2 GTS's and an 08 Vette. I kind of have the same feeling, where is all the power? My wife said this one feels stronger from the passenger seat and that I am just used to all the power. Maybe it's the cam in cam or drive by wire, I don't know.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just have both like some of us.Both nice,but different.Dr.White is the master of Viper Speed.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 08 Coupe is my first Viper, seven Vette's before, the last being a C5ZO6. Like many have said, it is the gearing of the Viper. You will notice the difference when doing normal driving and you drive off from a stop. Also when you are driving at a steady speed in the 50-65mph range. Before in the Vette you could use 6th gear if you wanted, the Viper wants to stay in 5th. I think the post by Ray W above nails the question. That said, you have made the right decision in getting the Viper.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tailwag i remember you from the 'Corvette forum', your Z06 is modded like my 07 Z was correct? A tune and a CAI brings the Z's up 40rwhp.:dunno:
My 08 coupe with headers will bury a tuned c6 Z. I've noticed the Viper get stronger the more miles it has on it.

Not sure what all you had done to yours. Mine is just shy of the 500rwhp mark and has intake and a tune. I haven't had any problems with 06 Viper or modded ones...but I have yet to find an 08' in the area to find out how it would fare against one. I am 100% sure it is all driver...90% of the people that have Z's don't have a clue how to drive them properly...if you shift at 6,800 instead of 7,099 :D you will loose about 35-40rwhp going from 1st to 2nd...do that on 3rd and 4th...and it just intensifies...

Gotta drive it like you stole it EVERY single time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte