SRT Chat HERE on September 17th!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008 and 2009 viper has an occupant classification system designed into the passenger seat and no modifications should be made to it. As for the driver seat ( Lowering), A track position sensor has also been added to minimize the deployment of the driver Airbag for 5th female occupants. It could vastly affect the performance if the driver seat is modified as well

I can't resist. What are the classifications: are you there?,thin, normal, heavy, fat, and morbidly obese?

And what is this 5th female deal? Are you telling me that one of you has already had four females in a Viper and that you now have modified it for five females? Chad - are you reading this?

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008 and 2009 viper has an occupant classification system designed into the passenger seat and no modifications should be made to it. As for the driver seat ( Lowering), A track position sensor has also been added to minimize the deployment of the driver Airbag for 5th female occupants. It could vastly affect the performance if the driver seat is modified as well

I guess us tall folks will have to fix this with software!
Thanks for all your help and for these chats!:headbang:
PBR

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Kindly address the seat lowering issue/concerns at some point.

The 2008 and 2009 viper has an occupant classification system designed into the passenger seat and no modifications should be made to it. As for the driver seat ( Lowering), A track position sensor has also been added to minimize the deployment of the driver Airbag for 5th female occupants. It could vastly affect the performance if the driver seat is modified as well Today 06:35 PM

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
The gas door on my 08 coupe is broken, I have bee waiting a couple of months and now the dealer is telling me maybe the end of october. can one be pulled off line and sent to my dealer ?

We had to make a supplier change, so they are in short supply right now, even for production. Please be patient.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
When designing the new ACR's, was the goal the same as when designing the 2nd gen ACR's specs, or were you going for something completely different?

If different, what was the new design goal?

Thanks!

Robert

To answer your question, yes.

Previous ACR models were designed for the track customer, but intended to fit within the rule structure of SCCA Club Racing. The Gen II ACR was a great performer on the track and those that decided to take it racing with SCCA did well. As everyone knows, its main track performance improvement was at the suspension, which was allowed by the SCCA T1 class.

The latest Gen ACR, however, was designed at the request of many Viper Club of America members. We were asked (by all of you) to create a track version of the Viper, but for use mainly at local club events in a time-trial format instead of wheel-to-wheel racing. Owners asked for something between the Competition Coupe and the SRT-10, that could be run at the track but still be street tolerable.

With this goal in mind, there was really no sanctioning rules to restrict our design. Therefore, we invested our efforts where they would gain the most in any unrestricted race class:
1) Aerodynamics
2) Suspension
3) Brakes
4) Tires
5) Weight Reductions

In comparison, the latest Gen ACR has been designed with far more track performance increase than the Gen II ACR. SRT Engineers never like to offer anything that does not go beyond previous generations - that's just not good enough.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
A. The window regulators that were used in the Gen III and now in the Gen IV have what seems to be a fairly high failure rate. A failure on a coupe can easily result in paint damage when the driver goes to close the door and the window is not in the right place. It can also happen to a lesser degree when opening the door. I understand that Ferrari and other cars that use this system have the same problem.

1. What is being done about the problem? It's a bear for the Viper tech to change out the regulator and make proper adjutments. I watched an experienced tech do it and it was no cake walk.

2. Have dealers been instructed to provide repair of any damage to the paint as a result of the problem. (The area impacted is small.)

B. The thin rubber like substance used in the area between the top of the front of the roof above the windshield and the rest of the roof where the two join seems to wera a bit. Is there any problem using a black rubber waterproof calking substance there? What do you recommend? i have noticed that the "bead" is almost invisible on some coupes and very visible on others. Is the visible part even functional?

C. An observation. I have a Racelogic traction control installed by Mark Jorgensen's tech at Woodhouse. It works very. Unlike street applications, it has five levels of cut and is adjustable from zero to 25%. It also has a launch function but I do not choose to use it. It really is not inconsistent with the simplicity of the Viper because it can be completely turned off or adjusted to only kick in under extreme conditions. Have any of you tried this systemon a Viper? If so, what did you think? If not, PM me if one of you is going to be in Miami and I will let you try it out.

D. Can the '08 ACR brakes be used on the regular '08? If so, what is involved in the change over?

E. Aerodynamics aside, how much more cooling effect does the '08 hood allow over the Gen III hood? Also, assume that someone does not like the looks of the '08 hood on the regular Viper. What do you think can be safely and relatively inexpensively done to the Gen III hood to allow for greater airflow over the engine? I am aware of the aftermarket hoods.

F. How long did your testing indicate a Gen III battery will last under use where the car is started at least three times a week and driven enough to charge it? I ask because mine is still going strong after 2.5 years. Should I start being concerned?

G. Observation: I now have a bit more than 12,000 miles on my '06 Certified Woodhouse Performance Coupe. It is an incredible machine. In case this is one of our last chats with you about the Viper, please accept my heart felt thank you for all your years of effort and close association and coordination with the VCA. Also, I want to especially thank you for puting the ZR1 to shame at The Ring. It was pure poetry.

A. Have your dealer flash the latest body controller software into your car. The Body Controller will determine the "full up" position of the glass when the door is closed. A change was made during the '08 MY and i think there should be a TSB on it.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Word from the street from owners is that the new 08's offer a significantly better driving experience over previous models.

What specific improvement are you most proud of in this refreshed drive line and suspension?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks but the regulator itself has crapped out twice. I have read other posts since the Gen III adopted this system also reporting same. Have you had a chat with the supplier or has the supplier changed since 2004? Keep in mind that my car is not a garage queen. I actually open and close the window almost every day.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I can't resist. What are the classifications: are you there?,thin, normal, heavy, fat, and morbidly obese?

And what is this 5th female deal? Are you telling me that one of you has already had four females in a Viper and that you now have modified it for five females? Chad - are you reading this?

a 5th female is 106lbs with roughly a heightof 4'9". The federal requirement makes us protect them in and accedent and minimze the impact of the airbag. The track position sensor on the driver side adjust the airbag deployment based on the position the seat is in. the further forward the seat, the less power the airbag has. If the sensor is modified, there is a good chance that the bag may deploy incorrectly for such sized person.

The passenger seat work by means of weight and position, this also is federally regulated and thus was required to be added in 2008.

Hope that sheds a little light on the subject

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys still there or are you looking at the photo of Sarah Palin in a Viper/

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
What specific improvement are you most proud of in this refreshed drive line and suspension?

As the driveline guy... I'd have to say the new Tremec TR6060 six speed transmission is a significant improvement... better shift quality, and better durability with 600ft-lbs torque capacity. The new GKN ViscoLok differential is also a huge improvement over the previous unit. It's also good to know that these parts will bolt into your '03 - '06 Viper. Stay tuned for upcoming offerings from the Mopar boys.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm one of those annoying 'tall guys' with my eye on an '08, and since it seems that seat modification has been made VERY difficult given the airbag system intelligence built in, what driver height was the 08/09MY car designed around? I sat in Lee Stubberfields ACR and at just under 6'4", I could barely see out the front windshield...in fact my horizontal sight line was almost at the top of the windshield.

The GrailKeeper asked us what we'd like to see on future Vipers, and my biggest thing is a seat with manual height adjustment to accomdate taller drivers.

Keep up the great work, you all have designed a truly exhilerating machine! Thank you!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a 5th female is 106lbs with roughly a heightof 4'9". The federal requirement makes us protect them in and accedent and minimze the impact of the airbag. The track position sensor on the driver side adjust the airbag deployment based on the position the seat is in. the further forward the seat, the less power the airbag has. If the sensor is modified, there is a good chance that the bag may deploy incorrectly for such sized person.

The passenger seat work by means of weight and position, this also is federally regulated and thus was required to be added in 2008.

Hope that sheds a little light on the subject

Very interesting and informative.

Last edited:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
This has been asked already, but I have not seen a response. Can we get suggested alignment setting on the ACR for the various tracks that you guys tested at?

During most of our testing, we did not touch the factory alignment settings. Our goal during testing and development is to run the car exactly as it arrives to you.

When you lower the ACR down to recommended track settings, you pick-up static camber that allows the PS Cup tire to operate well. Since all Viper's are "bump steered" at the factory, even your static toe should be OK at track height.

Our only recommendation on alignment is for tire wear. If you plan to devote your ACR to mainly track use, add a little more front camber (an additional -0.4 degrees should bring you close to around -2.2 degrees at track height). This will even the wear out a bit more on the front tires and add a slight amount of front grip. The rear camber is sufficient already at track height.

If you haven't done so already, pick-up the Summer issue of Viper Quarterly. It has a thorough article on ACR track preparation and setup.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As the driveline guy... I'd have to say the new Tremec TR6060 six speed transmission is a significant improvement... better shift quality, and better durability with 600ft-lbs torque capacity. The new GKN ViscoLok differential is also a huge improvement over the previous unit. It's also good to know that these parts will bolt into your '03 - '06 Viper. Stay tuned for upcoming offerings from the Mopar boys.

Hi Mr Winkles. As the first person to have put the '08 tranny and diff in my '06 last January, I strongly concur. It's a big difference. Muchas gracias.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Just a quick Hello from the MOPAR side of the house. We are working on a couple specific projects as noted. We appreciate this feedback. It helps us determine what owners are looking for. Any comments on engine dress-up parts shown at VOI?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick Hello from the MOPAR side of the house. We are working on a couple specific projects as noted. We appreciate this feedback. It helps us determine what owners are looking for. Any comments on engine dress-up parts shown at VOI?

Hi MOPAR. It seems like we have been promised data on Mopar aftermarket performance stuff for the '08 for the last two chats. What is the holdup? Do you have some obstructive tree huggers in the mix?

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked the dress up stuff you showed off at VOI. I am most interested in the panel that lowers intake air temps.

Thanks for everything you guys do for us!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I didn't attend VOI, but I do love the black valve covers and the carbon fiber cover as well (seen in the ACR Prototype)

Any mopar exhausts planned specifically for the 2008? I assume since the Belanger's exist, that there are no plans to create a set of headers.

Tunability (off-road of course) for the 2008's would be very beneficial. I recently removed the mufflers on my 2008 Viper and the power went from 560whp to 537, and a look at the dyno charts show that the A/F that was ~12.0:1 has now fallen of the charts (below 10.0:1). Undoubtedly, if the ECU could be tuned, I would pick up a lot more power.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........ Aerodynamics aside, how much more cooling effect does the '08 hood allow over the Gen III hood? Also, assume that someone does not like the looks of the '08 hood on the regular Viper. What do you think can be safely and relatively inexpensively done to the Gen III hood to allow for greater airflow over the engine? I am aware of the aftermarket hoods.....

Additional question: Due to non-availability of 08 HOOD GRILLS early-on, several 08 "Hoodies" on Gen 3 cars found the footwell was dramatically cooler! A couple of em later installed, then REMOVED the grills, favoring the cool footwell.

Is SRT aware how much air is 'trapped' underhood by these grills? Are they cosmetic-styling? I would only be worried about parking under falling-leaves and combustibles.. But it SEEMS like "no grills" in an 08 hood is COOOOLLLLL...........

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
We're working it as best as we can. We need to get the details right the first time. We're working closely with the production guys and once we get all the details done you'll be the first to know.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks but the regulator itself has crapped out twice. I have read other posts since the Gen III adopted this system also reporting same. Have you had a chat with the supplier or has the supplier changed since 2004? Keep in mind that my car is not a garage queen. I actually open and close the window almost every day.

Yes we have chatted with the supplier. Have your dealer call us if you have another problem with your car and we'll chat with the supplier again.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're working it as best as we can. We need to get the details right the first time. We're working closely with the production guys and once we get all the details done you'll be the first to know.

Is this the answer to the MOPAR question?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Additional question: Due to non-availability of 08 HOOD GRILLS early-on, several 08 "Hoodies" on Gen 3 cars found the footwell was dramatically cooler! A couple of em later installed, then REMOVED the grills, favoring the cool footwell.

Is SRT aware how much air is 'trapped' underhood by these grills? Are they cosmetic-styling? I would only be worried about parking under falling-leaves and combustibles.. But it SEEMS like "no grills" in an 08 hood is COOOOLLLLL...........

We know some folks that have... but keep in mind you can pull the dipstick or open the oil fill with the hood closed and locked without the grills.

OppositeLock

VCA Member
Reaction score
A) The center console bezel has changed to accommodate the Federally mandated power window switch (recessed switch). There are some small frame and fuel tank assy changes to meet a new federal impact requirement. There is a new optional, lightweight 6 spoke wheel (same weight as ACR Sidewinder wheels), and some new colors.
B) 1 - 4 ship shift has not been eliminated. In fact, stricter ODB requirements are now in effect to prevent disabling this feature.
C) The throttle response has been changed for '09 and feel has been improved.
D) It is CAN and OBD compliant.
E) There is a MOPAR "off-road" performance ECU in the works. Some of the features include increased spark and reduced spark sensitivity to temperature, leaner mixtures at WOT, reduced sensitivity to modifications, Skip-Shift eliminated and a number of other drivability enhancements. Remember, good fuel (93 octane minimum) is a must! Other Gen IV performance upgrades are TBD.
F) Driving the 2008 Viper fast takes practice, it is very different than previous versions. The key to good 0-60 times are as always, keep tire spin to a minimum and feed it throttle as quickly as you can depending on the conditions. I like to "walk" it out just off idle (1200 - 1500 rpm) until it gets rolling with the stock tires, otherwise it just goes up in smoke!

Thank you! Can you release the torsional stiffness (N-m/degree) specs of the roadster and coupe? If so, what are they?