SRT Chat HERE on September 17th!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again the folks from SRT have generously offered to host a chat here for Viper owners (and prospective owners) on Wednesday, September 17th, 2008. It will take place here from 6:00 - 8:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time (that's 5:00 Central, 4:00 Mountain and 3:00 Pacific).

Now this is your chance to chat directly with SRT employees about the Viper platform - be it old or new. Just understand that ALL questions about future product (anything beyond the 2009 model) will be ignored if not deleted by our moderating staff first. Chrysler/SRT personnel are strictly forbidden from commenting about future product, so don't waste your typewriting. Our moderators will be standing by and will delete without warning - other than this one. ;)

Given the short notice, we would encourage you to start posting questions here immediately. Our web staff will consolidate those questions into one reply before the actual chat starts and SRT will review them beforehand as well. As stated above, we reserve the right to edit or delete those questions that SRT cannot answer due to company policy.

We look forward to your questions and seeing you here on the 17th!

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why did the 08 fly by wire not allow a more linear "throtle up" or acceration. No low end power then at about 2300 rpm it breaks the tires loose. Very aggravating and dangerous in my opinion? Was this addressed in the 09 model?

What changes were made between the 08 and 09 coupes? If any?

Oh by the Way it is an AWESUM car THANK YOU!
2thumbs.gif

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seems to be many different descriptions of the drive by wire throttle response. Besides Jeff's comments above, I have also heard of a surge at around 4000 rpms, too fast of a throttle response, too slow of a throttle response and my own experience. That's a pretty wide spectrum.

My experience is that during the first 1000 miles I thought that the throttle response was a little sluggish. Now with 3000 miles on the car the throttle response is better and I don't think it really needs any recalibation. I also have never experienced any non linear power surging. Can the SRT engineers shed any light on why there are so many different experiences with the drive by wire throttle? Could it be more to do with how fast the cam phasing occurs in individual cars? Perhaps due to different individual engine/camshaft break-in rates.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A. The window regulators that were used in the Gen III and now in the Gen IV have what seems to be a fairly high failure rate. A failure on a coupe can easily result in paint damage when the driver goes to close the door and the window is not in the right place. It can also happen to a lesser degree when opening the door. I understand that Ferrari and other cars that use this system have the same problem.

1. What is being done about the problem? It's a bear for the Viper tech to change out the regulator and make proper adjutments. I watched an experienced tech do it and it was no cake walk.

2. Have dealers been instructed to provide repair of any damage to the paint as a result of the problem. (The area impacted is small.)

B. The thin rubber like substance used in the area between the top of the front of the roof above the windshield and the rest of the roof where the two join seems to wera a bit. Is there any problem using a black rubber waterproof calking substance there? What do you recommend? i have noticed that the "bead" is almost invisible on some coupes and very visible on others. Is the visible part even functional?

C. An observation. I have a Racelogic traction control installed by Mark Jorgensen's tech at Woodhouse. It works very. Unlike street applications, it has five levels of cut and is adjustable from zero to 25%. It also has a launch function but I do not choose to use it. It really is not inconsistent with the simplicity of the Viper because it can be completely turned off or adjusted to only kick in under extreme conditions. Have any of you tried this systemon a Viper? If so, what did you think? If not, PM me if one of you is going to be in Miami and I will let you try it out.

D. Can the '08 ACR brakes be used on the regular '08? If so, what is involved in the change over?

E. Aerodynamics aside, how much more cooling effect does the '08 hood allow over the Gen III hood? Also, assume that someone does not like the looks of the '08 hood on the regular Viper. What do you think can be safely and relatively inexpensively done to the Gen III hood to allow for greater airflow over the engine? I am aware of the aftermarket hoods.

F. How long did your testing indicate a Gen III battery will last under use where the car is started at least three times a week and driven enough to charge it? I ask because mine is still going strong after 2.5 years. Should I start being concerned?

G. Observation: I now have a bit more than 12,000 miles on my '06 Certified Woodhouse Performance Coupe. It is an incredible machine. In case this is one of our last chats with you about the Viper, please accept my heart felt thank you for all your years of effort and close association and coordination with the VCA. Also, I want to especially thank you for puting the ZR1 to shame at The Ring. It was pure poetry.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks once again for taking the time to chat with us. My questions are:

1. Some have posted that the 2009 model will receive upgraded/modified drive by wire throttle programming and that such programming can be retrofitted to the 2008 Vipers by an ECU reflash? Is this true and if so, what will be the timeline for availability of the reflash for 2008 owners?

2. Can you post the weights of the various SRT rims, specifically the 10-spoke that was standard on the 2003-2006 cars, the ACR/Copperhead Sidewinder, the Razor, H-spoke, 5-spoke (standard rim on the 2008s) and the new for 2009 six-spoke rim? I have a set of the Sidewinders on my 2008 and before I had them mounted and balanced with tires I weighed the rims alone as 17.5 lbs front and 25 lbs rear. This was done with a highly precise, 10-year old bathroom scale so I am hoping you have more accurate numbers.

3. Any word yet on Mopar performance parts for the 2008+ Vipers such as cold air intake/filters, etc?

Thanks again for a great car.

/Rich

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you still building CC's? Are there any current plans to put the 600+ HP motor in the CC? Will the 09 CC be different in any way? Congrats on the ACR 'Ring record! Awesome and well done!

Last edited:

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The gas door latch on my 08 coupe is broken, I have been waiting 2 months and the dealer is now telling me maybe the end of october. Is there any way to get one off the line and to my dealer?

My window regulator is also broken, the part is in should I be worried my dealer will cause more damage. Are there special instructions?

Thanks
Allen

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many Gen 1,2 & 3 owners are accustomed to lowering their seats which has always been relatively simple task after purchasing the Northwind manufactured 1" or 2" seat lowering brackets.

Now having bought an '08, there are many of us new owners that are struggling with this task due to both the "computer transfer" case located under the driver's seat and the new airbag sensor attached to the seat underside.

Is there some means to successfully manage this seat modification (successful = without causing any computer codes)?

As always, THANK YOU for making the time and effort to personally address our concerns! :bigok:

Ohh.....and thanks for visiting the Nürburgring. ;):yay:

Last edited:

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for addressing our concerns and I hope these chats will last very far into the future.

My question is regarding seat lowering on the '09 cars, both the standard car and the ACR. At one of the VOI Tech talks, it was stated that perhaps there is a "work around" that would allow seat lowering on the new cars after all. Can you speak to this at all or are us tall folks just out of luck on ordering/driving/tracking a new car? ( I already have my colors picked out)

When can we find out what the color build sequence will be for the '09 colors? Jim the color guy gave us the color choices a few months back, but not the build color sequence.

At another of the tech talks we heard there is an aluminum chassis "ready to go".
PLEASE DO IT! I'm sure the weight savings will be worth the increased price!

Again, thanks for ALL the things you guys/gals do. It sure does keep us happy!:headbang:

PBR

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At one of the seminars during VOIX, a detailed presentation was given on the Gen 4 engine. Is there any chance that VCA members can get an electronic copy of that presentation?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '08 Covert. I have also noticed the the throotle by wire is not as linear and smooth as it was on my '05. Perhaps it is the cam phasing I'm feeling, or perhaps the throw is just not long enough. Can you please shed light on this?
Way to go on the Nurburgring record!! Eat that Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche etc.!
P.S. I love my Viper!

Revtune

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prospective owner here...was curious if the suspension on pre 08 vehicles (mainly 05 and up) can be simply adjusted to 08 spec for improved performance, or were different parts used to achieve the more aggressive camber/ caster angles? I know the damping rates and spring rates are slightly different, but my main concern is geometry.

Thanks,

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few quick questions...

I have seen some pics of the new 09 rims. Do you have any weights on these yet? They look light. Any comparison with the ACR rims and tires? When I removed my stock 10 spoke for HREs I could not believe how much they weighed.

Have you seen Roe's new blower for the GenIII Viper? I am interested in getting your prospective on that kit. Do you have any thoughts about boost with the stock engine? Most say 5-8psi is safe. Thoughts?

Last edited:

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The record at the Ring was accomplished with an assist by an engineer to adjust the suspension for that track. The ACR manual has the factory settings and then some suggestions for track use. Could we get the information you have about suspension adjustments with a description of what kind of track each is best suited for. It would save us some time to have a better idea of which settings work best for certain track applications instead of each of us having to experiment on our own. Thanks again to all of you for sending the ACR over to the the Ring to set the record straight for our beloved Viper! YEA, YEA, YEA! Long live the King of the Ring!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you share some ACR lap times at various tracks, so that we can determine if we are close to a proper setup? (and settle some bets...LOL) For comparison, if you have 08 SRT10 times, that would be good. ;)

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will the coupe gas door on 06s and later fit/replace the conventional one on an 04 Convertible?

NVViperTech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to retrofit the 08 radiator cooling fans onto the 03-06 vipers? If so, will it involve more than just removing the hydraulic fan parts and installing the electric fans and shroud? Will the 03-06 air cleaner assembly interfere with the retrofit? Is there a way to have the factory computer turn on the electric fans? Other than reprogramming the PCM or without using aftermarket sensors/switches? Thank you.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey SRT,

First, thanks for helping to fund VOI 10 when Corporate was not being so helpful! We all had a great time and appreciate your willingness to help throw such a great party!:2tu::D

My question is on my 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT-8. When driving with the traction control off, when slow rolling (5 MPH or less) or when leaving a light, sometimes I can step on the gas and the rear will break loose and accelerate:drive:, other times the car bogs down almost as if the motor de-throttled.:confused:

I have also seen this on the 1st-2nd shift. Same type of issue. Sometimes the car gives a good, crisp shift; other times it noticibally de-throttles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time!:2tu:

Robert

OppositeLock

VCA Member
Reaction score
Thank you for chatting with us! I have a ’09 roadster on order and have the following questions:

A. What are the differences between the ‘08 and ‘09s? A great deal of speculation surrounds the revised center console and frame revisions, any details? Any other engineering improvements and changes that are being incorporated into the ‘09s?

B. Is there any truth to the rumor that 1-to-4 skip shift may be eliminated on the ‘09s?

C. Has the throttle programming been revised for more linear response and minimized throttle delays on the ‘09?

D. Which protocol does the VENOM controller communicate over OBD-II: ISO/CAN, VPW or other? Is the VENOM controller J2534-1 compliant?

E. There are plenty of rumors from VOI-X of a MOPAR performance ECU for Gen IVs, any ETA on release? What range of performance targets are you shooting for with this ECU? Any other Gen IV performance parts in the works?

F. Can you walk through the procedure/technique used to achieve the claimed 3.7 sec 0-60 times for the '08?

Hopefully high-performance will still survive in today's uncertain climate. Thank you again for all of your constant Viper and SRT efforts!

Last edited:

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 09 VOI silver coupe on order I think. I was unable to attend VOI-10 so I did not see or here anything about the car fisrt hand. I have tried calling Kim several times but still have not spoken with her ,I have been contacted by sales as to which dealer I wished to use. My question is what can I expect with the car besides silver paint (options) and can we pick wheels or other options. Thanks for all the great vipers over the years.I hope more are in the future and good luck.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you are waiting for the chat later today, be sure to help out our friends at SRT by answering this brief survey on a few vehicle preferences - and not necessarily about the Viper:
Performance Driver Market Research Survey

That was a great survey...especially since I HAVE the paddle-shifting Vette...one thing about it: Wish the paddles were on the STEERING COLUMN, not the steering wheel, when turning and shifting, you have to 'follow' the steering wheel~! Okay, back to questions for the SRT people!

THANK YOU for these q & a sessions, they are greatly appreciated!
Question: Does the 2008 computer have to 'learn' the idle program? We've had issues with the car dying out completely with clutch engaged and in first gear twice now in stop-n-go traffic. We were stopped at the time. Haven't run it much since the last time it happened, and kinda spooked, as we don't wanna get rear-ended! Any tips on this? THANK YOU...juli

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When designing the new ACR's, was the goal the same as when designing the 2nd gen ACR's specs, or were you going for something completely different?

If different, what was the new design goal?

Thanks!

Robert

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm here :famous:....OK a BIT early. :D

What, no batting practice?

Guess I'll go get some ball park franks and beer!
Anyone else want a dog?

Last edited:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
B. Is there any truth to the rumor that 1-to-4 skip shift may be eliminated on the ‘09s?

Unfortunately, no. The 1-4 skip shift is a part of our fuel economy, emissions, and other regulatory requirements. So it is still there on the '09s... Viper and Challenger too. Same goes for the GM and Ford cars... everybody has to use it.

Best thing to do is drive around it. It activates up to about 25% throttle. Drive with a heavier foot and you won't have to worry about it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave