SRT up close and personal (long)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This weekend at Luke airforce base VCA hosted a event where the SRT-10 and competion coupe races a couple F-16 fighter jets.
Members were able to meet Herb, and some of the PVO people who are working dailey with these cars. While it was clear that they were under orders not to "spill the beans" some observations were clearly made.
PVO is extremely proud (and justifibly so) of there new creations.
The SRT-10 is beautiful. We saw it in red and silver. Red is as always great in a convertable, but the silver suprised many of us in just how classy it looked. The silver looked especially beautiful when it caught the rays of the sunset in it's contoures.
The build quality is much improved, with panels fitting tightly, and even gaps.
The top is a one handed operation. Pop open the trunk, lift the top up, and close one latch. The gasketing at the front of the top looks like it will eliminate wind noise, provide a leakproof seal, and keep the top firmly in place at maximum top speed.
While styling is subjective the new style is less "in your face" than the previous, however when parked next to a earlier RT/10 it looks much more modern, and up to date. Parked next to a GTS the Competition coupe looks much more race ready. The SRT next to a GTS seems to lack some agressiveness. I believe some stripes, and an aftermarket top will be necessary to impress current GTS owners.
For those of you that have put down deposits few will be dissapointed in their purchase.
The sound from the side pipes was mellow, and sweet. Better than current stock exhausts, but not as agressive as aftermarket pipes.
The interior is much improved. Better placed pedals, and a real dead pedal. Seats have side bolsters which give a small amount of lateral support. Seats very comfy. All control surfaces fall readily to hand. Stereo upgraded with speakers both in door panels, and in rear area between the seats.
Initial visual impressions of the car taking off is that it is much faster, and very stable.
If this car is anywhere near in price to a current RT/10 it is a steal.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also saw, touched and sat in the SRT/10 for the first time at the Luke Air Force Base. Visually it didn't grab me like the original RT did when I first saw a picture of it. Everything about the design is too angular for my taste, especially the side "gill". I wonder how it would look with the curve of the original. To me that is the feature that screams VIPER.

I sat in the car and my first impression was that the seats were very firm and stiff. I couldn't imagine making a long trip in those seats. I did like the dead pedal and the gauges arranged vertically were sharp.

Overall, I wasn't terribly impressed. If I were to add another viper to my garage right now I think it would be a yellow ACR with white stripes rather than an SRT/10.

Bob K

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob K:
Everything about the design is too angular for my taste, especially the side "gill". I wonder how it would look with the curve of the original. To me that is the feature that screams VIPER.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not alone on this. Check either the Summer or Fall VM for a number of SRT side styling cues that were (at least up to now) passed over by DC. There was a good multi-page thread about it here sometime in September, I think.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gone to the NY Auto Show the past two years, and part of the reason was to see the new Viper. Yesterday was my second time to see the new car in person, and I am still unimpressed. The earlier cars have the "in your face" styling that we all love, and the 2003 has none of this. It just looks like a "polite" convertible. I thought the interior looked downright cheap, and believe that DCX has really dropped the ball with this car. It looks like a Stratus from the back, a Honda from the front. Maybe the performance is great, but the styling of this car is just so bland..who cares? Now when I can drive one my opinion may vary a bit....but....?

On other DCX news, they have also watered down the Crossfire so much that it no longer interests me either. A really cool concept car turns into Casper Milktoast's streetcar.

Now, Ford hit a homerun...the Ford GT40....WOW! C'mon Ford....price it right.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DgeViper1:
I will keep my supercharged snake and blow the doors off of any SRT that comes my way!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying you need to supercharge your ACR to beat a "stock" SRT-10? What happens if you run across a DLM supercharged SRT-10?
tongue.gif

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In another post, I uploaded photos of the NYC Show and made certain comments about how I was disappointed with the SRT. Like Dan, I too thought the GT40 stole the show! IF I were looking now for a new Viper and only had the SRT choice, I might (sadly) actually consider the GT40 since I understand that it's spozed to be priced in the $75,000 range, although the version shown at the show may actually have LESS carry space than a Viper! Is it possible for a street legal car to actually be LESS practical than a Viper!?

Anyway, in my other post, I actually felt guilty portraying the SRT as a disappointment (I also seemed to ruffle some SRT pre-owner feathers). In some perverse manner, I feel better seeing that other GEN 1&2 owners have the same sense of loss. Misery DOES love company.
frown.gif

Godsil Performance

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I think the SRT-10 should have looked like. If it was styled like this I don't think there would be disappointed people out there.
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4