SRT Viper with C7 Corvette

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do find it impressive what the vette can do with some modest perf numbers. 60-0 in well under 100ft, 1/4 in 12 flat, well over a G pulled ... in the "cheap" version that soccer moms will drive and a **-hum 460hp. It'll be interesting what it could do with something like 200hp more & improving a base 1.08 G. Like her looks or not, the perf C7 is going to one serious shag in the sack.
it is going to be a complete destroyer, will give SRT more than its run for the money.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current c7 zr1 isn't being bench marked against the c6 zr1, audi r8, turbo S, 458 italia, and mclaren mp4.

The new hi performance corvette will destroy all just wait and see. It is going to be something seriously special.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.0 @ 117.3 vs. 11.1 @ 123.3

No competition here, nothing to see. That is a huge ass-whipping.

I agree on the #s for sure, problem with the GTR is someone needs to wake you up after the race, it's so boring to drive. LOL

I have 2 friends that had a GTR both sold within a yr, due to it being boring. Hard to think of a car that fast being boring, but even Pobst when testing it at Laguna commented on it being boring. That seems to be the only wrong with that car. I was seriously considering a GTR for a DD, but my friends were taking bets on how many months I'd own it before selling it so I just beat them to the punch and passed on it.

Real comparo will be the C7 ZX7 whatever it'll be in that price range to a GTR. The base Z51 car is out-matched & out-priced.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.0 @ 117.3 vs. 11.1 @ 123.3

No competition here, nothing to see. That is a huge ass-whipping.

Believe me, I'm no Vette fan but you have remember that those numbers are for the base Vette, not the Z06 or ZR1. I'd expect both cars to be significantly faster and compete very well with the gen V. of course, none of that will take care of the ugly on the new Vette...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe me, I'm no Vette fan but you have remember that those numbers are for the base Vette, not the Z06 or ZR1. I'd expect both cars to be significantly faster and compete very well with the gen V. of course, none of that will take care of the ugly on the new Vette...

I understand. But, I bought a base Z51 C6 brand new for $45K. I later bought a brand new C6 Z06 in 2009 for $63K. This "base" Z51 C7 is in the $65-70K price range. Yet traps slower than the ZL1 Camaro and CTS-V (both same ballpark price range).

C6 Z06 rated at 505 hp - traps mid 120s
C7 Z51 rated at 460 hp - traps 117?

Not impressed. Not disappointed, but not really impressed.

slowfrc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand. But, I bought a base Z51 C6 brand new for $45K. I later bought a brand new C6 Z06 in 2009 for $63K. This "base" Z51 C7 is in the $65-70K price range. Yet traps slower than the ZL1 Camaro and CTS-V (both same ballpark price range).

C6 Z06 rated at 505 hp - traps mid 120s
C7 Z51 rated at 460 hp - traps 117?

Not impressed. Not disappointed, but not really impressed.

If all you're concerned about is trap speed and price point then the fact that they used a highly optioned z51 just dilutes the trap speed per dollar argument. I don't know the c7 specs by heart but is there anything in that 15k+ options premium that increases trap speed significantly? If not the dollar number that is relevant is the base price of a no options car.

Also, maybe my memory fails me but I remember C6Zs trapping low 120s, 121 or so in many cases when mags first got their hands on them. Sure some owners have trapped mid to high 120s but that's irrelevant because we're comparing it to a c7 mag test.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, maybe my memory fails me but I remember C6Zs trapping low 120s, 121 or so in many cases when mags first got their hands on them. Sure some owners have trapped mid to high 120s but that's irrelevant because we're comparing it to a c7 mag test.

Motor Trend went 117 with the C7.

Motor Trend went 127 with the first C6 Z06 test. 10 mph difference is huge. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0510_2006_chevrolet_corvette_z06/viewall.html

My bone stock 2009 Z06 went 11.55 @ 125 mph in the TX heat on a poorly prepped track. They absolutely move out stock.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The current c7 zr1 isn't being bench marked against the c6 zr1, audi r8, turbo S, 458 italia, and mclaren mp4.

The new hi performance corvette will destroy all just wait and see. It is going to be something seriously special.

O'Rly? so it's gonna run with the P1s and La Ferrari's of the world for 120k?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they've already been doing it from a perf standpoint. As has the Viper. Neither may have the ultra exotic whatever, but they do have perf on track, where it counts. And I think this thread is focused on the perf on track, although we may erupt into political or geo-economic debate at any time these days. LoL

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you seriously compare a 100k car to a 1 million dollar car? You just lost all credibility.

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do find it impressive what the vette can do with some modest perf numbers. 60-0 in well under 100ft, 1/4 in 12 flat, well over a G pulled ... in the "cheap" version that soccer moms will drive and a **-hum 460hp. It'll be interesting what it could do with something like 200hp more & improving a base 1.08 G. Like her looks or not, the perf C7 is going to one serious shag in the sack.

These numbers aren't bad by any stretch, especially for under $50K, and we know why it's so affordable. But that aside, the base C6 was 400 HP with the Z06 being the next major step up at 505 HP, and finally the ZR1 at 638 HP. Those are basically 100 HP steps among trim levels, so I would guess that the new Z06 is going to be at 560 HP and the ZR1 at or near 700 HP.

Too bad they brought the Asstek design team back for the C7. Runs 12s and the rear hatch turns into a tent. Sweet.

You must be registered for see images attach

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These numbers aren't bad by any stretch, especially for under $50K, and we know why it's so affordable. But that aside, the base C6 was 400 HP with the Z06 being the next major step up at 505 HP, and finally the ZR1 at 638 HP. Those are basically 100 HP steps among trim levels, so I would guess that the new Z06 is going to be at 560 HP and the ZR1 at or near 700 HP.

Too bad they brought the Asstek design team back for the C7. Runs 12s and the rear hatch turns into a tent. Sweet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Truly one of the ugliest vehicles ever created, I had an assistant who bought one & was so excited, I've never had to lie so hard in my life when congratulating her on the purchase .. with vomit in my throat.

Agreed, I think the 550-600 level will be their intitial target too, with 560-575 most likely, although some say 600 and the top of the line at 700. We'll see. Perf wise they'll all be bad ****'s. As for looks, it's like with women. Some post super models, which make me yack, some post a Haley body type which makes my quiver. I've always been a fan of the vette perf but not the look so it may be I like it just because it's finally different - not saying much, but still. I don't think they'll ever design a vette that can get noticed in a parking lot that has a viper in it, but they do get around a track nicely .. not to mention tooshy warmers.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One way I look at the base C7 is that its about as fast as the original 96 Viper GTS. Not bad as the original GTS is still a fast car. The upcoming Z06 and possible ZR1 will surely one up the current Viper models. Especially considering GM's R&D budget compared to SRT's and them knowing where the current Viper bar is.

It will be interesting to see if SRT lets the current viper models languish behind the up coming Vette competition and ONLY answer with the ACR. I really hope they do up the performance on the SRT and GTS models to match or beat the Z06 and ZR1 models respectively. The ACR is really in a different catagory than the ZR1/GTS/SRT/Z06 etc imho. Obviously STT's budget will have the final say in what they can do or not do sadly.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One way I look at the base C7 is that its about as fast as the original 96 Viper GTS. Not bad as the original GTS is still a fast car. The upcoming Z06 and possible ZR1 will surely one up the current Viper models. Especially considering GM's R&D budget compared to SRT's and them knowing where the current Viper bar is.

It will be interesting to see if SRT lets the current viper models languish behind the up coming Vette competition and ONLY answer with the ACR. I really hope they do up the performance on the SRT and GTS models to match or beat the Z06 and ZR1 models respectively. The ACR is really in a different catagory than the ZR1/GTS/SRT/Z06 etc imho. Obviously STT's budget will have the final say in what they can do or not do sadly.

Yes very good..

I think when the new C7 Z06 comes out against the Gen 5 viper. The difference in the performance will be like when the C6Z came out, and stomped on the Gen 3 Viper. Maybe even more. The C7Z is going to be no joke..

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ACR is really in a different catagory than the ZR1/GTS/SRT/Z06 etc imho. .

I know it's an opinion but it's hard for me to think that way. The difference in an ACR from a "standard viper" to me is more like a package than a whole new model, like the track pack on the gen5. I know some ACR owners would argue all day it's huge but ... it has wheels that come from other models, engine is same, interior is same essentially (unless you go ******** & get no stereo), you get a paint job, suspension, and ground effects that can be put on any viper, hec they even did convertible ACRs. I'm certainly not puttin it down, it's the bomb IMO. It'd be nice if the gen5 ACR, should they build one, be a whole other level up on power etc. We've heard it could have a unique hood, even that would be huge compared to previous models' options.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed Bushido.

Dman yeah it's just my opinion. So not really stating my perception of the ACR as the end all be all. I personally just see the ACR as a much more track focused car than any of the cars mentioned.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new C7Z06 and ZR1 will be at a whole different level in performance than the Gen 5 Viper.You can bet they will offer a Duel Clutch Automatic Trans like the Porsche PDK and GTRs.That, with low weight,crazy HP and the new technology,the Viper will not have a chance.GM have the $$$$ to do it..

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you? A liberal? You think you can make an argument by citing incomplete facts?

Fact: Chrysler paid off their bailout in 2011 and is making an effort to improve.

Fact: The US gov't still owns ~$20 billion worth of GM stock, down $29 billion from its total bailout of $49 billion.

Fact: GM still costing taxpayers A LOT of money and they haven't really improved.

GM cars are welfare mobiles = LOL if you drive one, and the C7 is still fugly.

you are strange...that is all

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, the C7 vette will beat my '08 Viper coupe by 6 seconds at VIR????? That is suprising, to me at least... Hmmmm

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you seriously compare a 100k car to a 1 million dollar car? You just lost all credibility.

"what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I didn't compare them...you did
the new hi performance corvette will destroy all just wait and see.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they've already been doing it from a perf standpoint. As has the Viper. Neither may have the ultra exotic whatever, but they do have perf on track, where it counts. And I think this thread is focused on the perf on track, although we may erupt into political or geo-economic debate at any time these days. LoL

it has been doing that, true. The specs of the P1 in terms of HP, weight and downforce tell me it won't this time around. And it sure as hell won't 'destroy all.'

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it has been doing that, true. The specs of the P1 in terms of HP, weight and downforce tell me it won't this time around. And it sure as hell won't 'destroy all.'
Yea destroy is a bit strong no matter what.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well should probably table the discussion for when GM actually produces a car. Just don't understand the fascination of the future performance numbers of a car that does not exist? You might as well start comparing the new Z07/ZR2 to the new GEN VI because you know the GEN VI will absolutely ****** the new Z07/ZR2. It is not even going to be close, then there is that killer Z08/ZR3. That car destroys all others with performance numbers like..........and of course it has already set a new Ring record. Crazy! Only thing that matters is what is on the road and available right now. The rest is just nut swinging! Until GM produces something, the conversation is pointless with zero merit. The new C7 appears to have some performance to it which is great but is hard to drive considering you have to wear that paper bag over your head with the two eyelets all the time.

Then again there is the new 2015 Ford GT:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...ch?v=BMvpVR7qT38&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited: