Starting a wrecked Viper database

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a better idea, would be to create (in the illustrated upgrades section), a How-To on thoroughly inspecting a viper focusing on bodywork and frame inspection.:2tu:

Agreed. I like the wrecked Viper database idea but even Carfax and AutoCheck can't get it right. How is this database, or the processes/people used to identify a 'wrecked' Viper and verify that it is indeed 'wrecked', going to be any more reliable than Carfax / AutoCheck? :dunno:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlike the typical how-to write up composed by only one person, perhaps this illustrated guide could be a series of items that the moderators stitch together from many people. I'm sure as people volunteer things they know or saw, or perhaps were unlucky enough to experience, this will be a very valuable guide.

V

Venomiss

I think a better idea, would be to create (in the illustrated upgrades section), a How-To on thoroughly inspecting a viper focusing on bodywork and frame inspection.:2tu:

This is the best idea from this thread.
The only thing I would add in would be to include pictures of what a correctly done recall looks like with listing of the years they have them on. Make that another section.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO, Dave I have my salvage title in my hand. I sold my car to JonB without giving him the title, he didn't need it. It would be great if all guy's were like JonB and did what they said they were going to do, PART IT OUT.

SO DAVE, YES I WILL PONY UP MY TITLE FOR ALL TO SEE, WATCH FOR MY NEXT POST, I NEED TO SCAN IT.

WANTED

So, as I stated in my post there would be some that wouldn't leaving the rest as those that would, so you are a would'r? :dunno:

Honest people aren't a problem. And a car that is being parted out by a reputable dealer is not a problem. Dishonest people are the problem.

I hear bin Laden has your chassis being shipped to him for repairs to his Viper after it took an IED by trainees. Wonder which VIN he'll be using. :hmmm:

Sapphire RT/Tn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a free tip when inspecting a Viper.
CHECK THE GLOVE BOX. A lying POS in Chicago swore to me that the 2000 RT/10 had never been wrecked, until I found a repair receipt in the glove box. Then he remembered that the paint was a little faded so he had it repainted, and while his "buddy" had it in his shop something fell on the hood. :dunno::nono:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
something with a Salvage, rebuilt, or reconstructed title to me qualifies as wrecked.

Steve A.

Steve, that might be a good place to start but I have seen many train wrecks that had none of the above and quite a few with little damage that had branded titles.

I would like to see what the number of CONFIRMED destroyed cars is however I doubt that there is such a database.

Ron

V

Venomiss

A How to inspect a Viper write up in the members only section will be useless to the potential first time buyer. :rolleyes:

It could easily be put in another section that newbies would have access to.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Prowler club had a list of cars that have been known to be totaled... It was under Retired Kat listings on their forum... That forum thread is still there, but the info has been deleted. Maybe because of some of the same legal ramifications spoken of in this thread? :dunno:

The other thing would be that if the % of wrecked Vipers that I've always heard is 25%... IF thats the case, we are looking at a Data base of 6000-7000 Vipers :omg:

Unfortunately there could be new listings coming in weekly...

Also I bought my first Viper, before finding this forum... AND I had no idea there were so many that have been wrecked.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***PROPOSAL***

How about this. I'll volunteer myself to organize and compose a Gen 1/2 buyer's inspection how to. Ive got good organizational skills, can write pretty good, and based on my stellar post count appear to have plenty of spare time.

Suggested path forward:

-> Begin thread to collect everyone's input.

-> I will begin compiling it into an organized system and post it on the same thread as it develops.

-> Pics will be sought and/or taken to suit.

-> Final version will be previewed for review and final comments before committing to a permanent home.

Obviously this will take some time to get everyone's input and sort through it. I can start on my next post...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A How to inspect a Viper write up in the members only section will be useless to the potential first time buyer. :rolleyes:

I disagree. A NEWB should have to pay his dues weather he is a VCA member or not.

When i was a newb seeking advice to help me make the right purchase decision i contacted my local VCA region, talked to a couple of the officers and let them know that i was serious about purchasing a viper and would like some assistance. They hooked me up with their resident viper mechanic at the time(Bryon Muller). I payed him 75bucks to spend a couple hours inspecting a GTS with me. We ended up picking the GTS up, driving it an hour to his lift, spent All Day going over the car, then driving it back to the owners house. Bryons experience with vipers left no doubt in my mind and i was pleased to have met him and honored to treat him to dinner before heading home.

This was one of the best days of my life; spending a whole day thoroughly going over a viper. I leaned more that day than a whole year of previously reading through Viper forums. Before owning my GTS, i had much mechanical experience with motorcycles and cars. Now thanks to Bryon Muller, and my past 2years with the VCA i see myself as a knowlegable viper mechanic and hope to be a valuable asset to the VCA in the years to come

Se my point Dave? Even if a Newb cant axcess a writup it dosnt matter. If he is serious, He should be contacting someone with First Hand experience. With this IllustratedUpgrades writeup it will help to make more VCA members knowlegable about their vipers so one day they could possibly help a Newb inspect a viper:2tu:

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for taking the initiative. I'll start compiling my viper inspection knowlege and think about how we should lay this thing out.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RESPECT

and acknowledgment of those that came before him that are willing to help a fellow enthusiast

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
something like this:)

You must be registered for see images attach

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Pay Your Dues" is simply a saying. It not not to be taken literal like: pay me $XX

Why would i be considered snobby/obnoxious if i am willing to help some random viper enthusiast?

Inconvenience? I would think it would be the Opposite: a Huge Convienience to be able to make a call to you local VCA region and be hooked up with someone with experience that is willing to help you.:2tu:

V

Venomiss

HMMMMM. Idea!

What if there was a compiled thread of helpful information.
Say it was in the Illustrated section.
Then have it being accessed by regional president's to pass it along.

Newbies get with their region, national president's could get them that information, and it's
great thing for the newbies to either converse via email or meet with other Viper owners.

Newbies would have the access to that area and the benefit of talking with other Viper owners.
What say you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960