Streetracing....why?

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Belair, I think quite the opposite. I don't believe people are arguing based on their emotions, rather trying to take a more logical approach to what society likes to convince everyone as "outrageously dangerous."

The facts are in this thread, there are VERY FEW fatalities each year due to street racing. My ASSUMPTION about the numbers, is that hardly any of that already small number happens on an open highway. I imagine that almost every street racing fatality is from people who decide to do it in a crowded area or places where there are intersections and/or pedestrians.

Recently a young man was killed here in Atlanta while street racing. Nobody else was injured, and he didn't have a passenger. The news reported the accident happened during the race, but eyewitnesses say he was being chased by the cops (which the law and media blatantly claim was not the case). People speculate he was pit manuvered, but no one actually saw the accident. Either way.....it was running from the cops that caused the accident, and not the race itself. Yet the story is printed that he "died during a street race."

I can agree to disagree on your first paragraph. I like to see facts to support the other side and haven't seen them.

804 deaths in 6 years. Is that very few? I don't know, somewhat of a relative term.

As to the location of the deaths/injuries, you could be correct. But that speaks to the mindset of the street racer. Street Racers simply do not respect other people's rights. Even on a highway, how can they be certain that around the next bend some poor soul isn't changing a flat tire on the edge of the road? Yeah, I know there are no certainties in life. But whose life are we talking about?

Thus, the bottom line question still remains, is it right to put a third party at risk for your own enjoyment? Each individual has to answer that question.

I agree with your last paragraph. The media will play up a story to promote a particular angle. I would not call running from the cops street racing.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a surprise...3 days later and we're still trying to figure out how to continue beating this rotting, stinkly, maggot-infested corpse to death. Can I pay the VCA to close this thread down?

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why shut the thread down? People enjoy discussing these things. 13 pages long, and people aren't calling each other names or making insults.

If anything, this is the type of thread that should stay up.

And Belair, I think where others (myself included) are having a hard time with your statements is that you continue to say things like "street racers simply do not respect other people's rights"

You can't make blanket statements like that, because there are ALL SORTS of people who race on the street....there are all sorts who drive on the street. The same people who race in populated areas are the same ones who make other foolish and dangerous mistakes. There are people who take precautions to make sure others don't get hurt. They drive down the road they're gonna race to make sure there is no debris or other hazzards before racing on it. I myself will never get into it unless it's a STRAIGHT stretch of highway that I can clearly see very far ahead of me.

I just don't think it's fair to lump all people who have or do street race into a category of stupid, selfish, irresponsible, and dangerous people is all.

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are people who take precautions to make sure others don't get hurt. They drive down the road they're gonna race to make sure there is no debris or other hazzards before racing on it.

Good points, for those that take such precautions, I stand corrected. Any idea what percentage takes these precautions?

Last edited:

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points, for those that take such precautions, I stand corrected. Any idea what percentage takes these precautions?

There's no way to tell, because these people generally don't "become statistics"

I know the "scene" around here, and it's damn near 100% of the people that street race on a normal basis. In fact, the people who do run each other are adamantly against people who race in populated areas.

I have often times even seen where someone posted a video of them racing someone else, only to see the thread (of mostly young people) filled with people yelling at them for being so stupid racing in traffic.

I have personally known people who setup these races and do them every single weekend, for over 2 years now. Who knows how long it has been going on before I knew about it. In those 2 years, with all the stories and videos, I'm only aware of 2 accidents. 1 was when these guys decided to stop up a VERY busy section of an interstate and race, and one of them crashed into another car that was ahead of them. Nobody was injured, but the kid was ridiculed beyond belief and several people were very upset. The other was the story I mentioned earlier, where the police chased a kid after he was street racing and he wrecked and died. This just happened recently.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for the record, i never said street racing was smart or legal, just that i like it and think its a blast on open roads.

i KNOW its WRONG and illegal. but it IS FUN

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
answers to comments:

hey..lets see what that viper can do?---I already know what it can do.
wanna race?---- No thanks,...I like my insurence rates
You wuss--- Ignore,or wave and smile

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is an odd forum for people to get holier-than-thou about excessive speeding.

For every ****** who races in traffic, there are probably ten who won't. Unfortunately, the former is more visible than the later, and visibility dictates politics and thus the law. Yes, you can street race while respecting other people's rights. You simply don't race around other people or where visibility is limited.

Hell, we're talking about Vipers here. Depending on where you are, you can get pedestrians and other people in traffic (the very people who are endangered by street racing) cheering it on and wanting to watch. No they won't want to watch some Hondas buzz around, but Vipers and Corvettes are different stories.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
804 deaths in 6 years. Is that very few? I don't know, somewhat of a relative term.

Compared to about 100,000 killed by drunk drivers it is less than 1%. There has GOT to be more pressing dangers on the road than street racing. I believe running red lights is the second leading cause of fatalities.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm, no one is commenting on LEGAL Street Racing? And since sometimes it is condoned and practised by the RCMP it should show that "under some circumstances Street Racing is OK".

I've hit 3 Deer and a Moose while NOt racing. Pickups and SUVs are usually the culprits that hit wild animals - since they've installed Stability control they're almost safe enough to try adn turn around the animals at highway speeds. However a Ford Escape hitting a Deer at 40mph is looking at $4500 damage (body only). A Ford F150 cost me a thousand once and a couple hundred a couple other times. The Moose was good for about $8,000 since it weighs nearly as much as a Honda. My friend hit a Deer at the finish line at 120mph - on a Drag Strip!. No front bumper and it was a lightweight race car. Scared H-ll out of him but his only damage was a messy car that needed a front driver's fender.

This accident happened at Bremerton Raceway and he cut the Deer in half. Vipers normaly would steer around wild animals and that should be kept in mind - with ABS and the superior handling I'd prefer to be in a Viper compared to all those other vehicles that don't steer.

Ted

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to see we've gotten back on subject here. The legality of carrying a gun and shooting at people while motoring is best left to the drunk rednecks here in my state.

Sooooooooooooo... Street racing. I'm with Plum.

belair1957

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Compared to about 100,000 killed by drunk drivers it is less than 1%. There has GOT to be more pressing dangers on the road than street racing. I believe running red lights is the second leading cause of fatalities.

Interesting statement given the following from one of your webpages:
"SAFE Motorsports Inc. is a non-profit track club which organizes open track events where you can SAFELY and LEGALLY drive your car speeds at which you feel comfortable." (emphasis in the original)

Concerning legal street racing, yep some police departments would organize events as an answer to the impromptu ones. The organized events would block off side streets etc. There are also events like the ones run in Nevada and Texas that cover several miles. Again, these are on the "street" but the roads have been closed to other traffic. OpenRoadRacing

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mythbusters Special ... haha. Seemed relavent

"If you are going to hit a moose with a vehicle, it is safer to hit it at a higher speed than to try to slow down.

The Build Team ran identical cars into a fake rubber moose at two different speeds. The damage from the high speed impact was located higher up on the vehicle and was more severe. It was speculated that hitting a moose at a high speed would only work with a very low car such as an F1 race car. Such a car would be able to take out the legs and clear the area before the moose fell on top of it."

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate the idea of hitting a Moose at any speed. With my F150 I slowed to about 40mph, skidded into it on ice and ducked. The Moose took out the grille, hood, bumper, slid up to the windshield and smashed thatthen pushed the roof line down a couple inches and flew off to the side/ditch.

Drove the next 40miles without water at -40C. Went back with a neighbor and the Moose became freezer meat.

Ted

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mythbusters Special ... haha. Seemed relavent

"If you are going to hit a moose with a vehicle, it is safer to hit it at a higher speed than to try to slow down.

The Build Team ran identical cars into a fake rubber moose at two different speeds. The damage from the high speed impact was located higher up on the vehicle and was more severe. It was speculated that hitting a moose at a high speed would only work with a very low car such as an F1 race car. Such a car would be able to take out the legs and clear the area before the moose fell on top of it."

I have wondered the same thing myself. That's pretty funny.

Do you know if cars will still get lower at faster speeds, even if they don't create downforce?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have wondered the same thing myself. That's pretty funny.

Do you know if cars will still get lower at faster speeds, even if they don't create downforce?

Probably depends on your susepnsion settings on your Z06.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, no one is commenting on LEGAL Street Racing? And since sometimes it is condoned and practised by the RCMP it should show that "under some circumstances Street Racing is OK".

I've hit 3 Deer and a Moose while NOt racing. Pickups and SUVs are usually the culprits that hit wild animals - since they've installed Stability control they're almost safe enough to try adn turn around the animals at highway speeds. However a Ford Escape hitting a Deer at 40mph is looking at $4500 damage (body only). A Ford F150 cost me a thousand once and a couple hundred a couple other times. The Moose was good for about $8,000 since it weighs nearly as much as a Honda. My friend hit a Deer at the finish line at 120mph - on a Drag Strip!. No front bumper and it was a lightweight race car. Scared H-ll out of him but his only damage was a messy car that needed a front driver's fender.

This accident happened at Bremerton Raceway and he cut the Deer in half. Vipers normaly would steer around wild animals and that should be kept in mind - with ABS and the superior handling I'd prefer to be in a Viper compared to all those other vehicles that don't steer.

Ted

So. To summarize. If you are without fear, you can steer clear of the deer; not shed a tear and talk to a peer about it over a beer. Does that about cover it?

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting statement given the following from one of your webpages:
"SAFE Motorsports Inc. is a non-profit track club which organizes open track events where you can SAFELY and LEGALLY drive your car speeds at which you feel comfortable." (emphasis in the original)

Sorry, you lost me. Dunno what point you're trying to make.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So. To summarize. If you are without fear, you can steer clear of the dear; not shed a tear and talk to a peer about it over a beer. Does that about cover it?

Damn, you're a poet Bob! Seriously, you should have included a Viper and the ails of owning SUVs and PUs. You do Limiricks?

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth