Tire Question

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was checking out the rear meats on my viper and noticed that my back right rear is shot. Im down to actual thread on the inner part of the tire. I called a few local places to order 2 new pilot sports and was told that theyve been discontinued. I guess the other option now is picking up PS2s. Initially, I just wanted to throw on 2 new pilot sports and be done with it and would replace the fronts come spring time as the car is going in a bubble for the upcoming new england winter. I know this question is kind of ********, but what problems could I run into by having the two different treads on the car (pilot sports up front and PS2s on the rear)

Should I just bite the bullet and replace all 4? The fronts are still are in pretty decent shape and I hate to just toss them for the sake of the rear.

SORRY! JUST FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION IN AN OLDER THREAD! MODS FEEL FREE TO DELETE!

Last edited:

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well I see you found an answer already but in short there is no problem in running a different tire front and rear. I run different tires on the Viper and my Z and both handle great! The fronts are stickier than the rears on both cars so the balance is perfect, no understeer even at auto-X speeds. I would go ahead and do the rears now and attend to the fronts when the time comes.

Rob

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
......... in short there is no problem in running a different tire front and rear. I run different tires on the Viper and my Z and both handle great! The fronts are stickier than the rears on both cars so the balance is perfect, no understeer even at auto-X speeds. I would go ahead and do the rears now and attend to the fronts when the time comes. Rob

I DISAGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Short answer: You are lucky you have NOT had to evade a car or debris at the adhesion limits of your mis-matched tires. You are simply asking for TROUBLE, while being lucky so far. IT IS NOT OK ON A VIPER, just becasue you could do in on yer daddys old-mobile.

Auto-X speeds dont hit hiway speeds...and while X-ing you are 110% alert and aware.

Mis Matched tires flex differently, corner differently, affect shocks differently, handle differently, signal your SOTP receptors differently, and brake differently. OK to cruise lazily, but when you get in trouble you are SCREWED. We dismantle WRECKED Vipers for a living...a seemingly surprising amount come in with mis-matched tires.

Last edited:

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I guess my Viper didn't get that message because I've done well over 100mph on the track with zero issues. I've done thousands of miles at the limit on twisty roads and pushed the car past it's limits (opposite lock exiting every corner) at the track with zero issues. Maybe my tires are close enough to not have the issues you are referring to.

Rob

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't agree with JonB more. I put PS2's on the back and kept my PS's on the front. The car was all over the road on just the slightest roughness. Don't do it, but if you do you will quickly understand why not to.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I still stick to my guns, I have had no issues in 7k miles of HARD driving (canyon roads, roadcourses, etc.) so to each his own I guess.

Man, look at that unpredictable handling... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWGBT_jqX0

After I passed my friend's race prepped 240Z I got a little hot on the throttle (showing off) so the rear was squirrely.

Rob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960