Too much power?

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Today I was just wondering to myself, how much power is too much power? I'm thinking I want to go the Paxton route but my only concern is putting the power down. The way I figure is if I can get full bolt-ons and a tune and get 540whp and put the power down, I'd be happier than having a 700whp Paxton'd Snake that will want to keep biting me :p. Any suggestions?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude...the way that tt civic pulled you should have never happenned bro..you need to master your current 468 rwhp you have...you should have been door to door. but your driveing needs a lil more practice...learn to master your current 468...then with all the bolt ons you can hit maybe 510 rwhp...youd need a cam or heads to get anymore than that.......All the bolt ons plus heads and cam and 600 rwhp ...good luck and pm me if you race anymore..your srt is beautiful btw

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude...the way that tt civic pulled you should have never happenned bro..you need to master your current 468 rwhp you have...you should have been door to door. but your driveing needs a lil more practice...learn to master your current 468...then with all the bolt ons you can hit maybe 510 rwhp...youd need a cam or heads to get anymore than that.......All the bolt ons plus heads and cam and 600 rwhp ...good luck and pm me if you race anymore..your srt is beautiful btw

You must be registered for see images

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm over 800rwhp and getting bored with the power. I drove a stock Gts a fee weeks ago and would never have that power again.

Maybe 1100-1200rwhp is too much? .... I'd like to let ya know.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am at 1000rwhp and ready for more. But you could do some bolt ons first that would help the paxton like Headers, exhaust, and rockers.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, starting to think about some bolts on mods for the future.:eater:

You mention rockers, cam, head work, headers, exhaust. Question about rockers...in and of themselves, do they add anything in terms of power, or because they are RR's, do they just add less resistence to follow the cam better?:dunno:

Also, if all the above bolt-ons are done, what would you estimate the HP would be...roughly.

Thanks!:D

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im with Plum on this one. After a while your current power gets a little old...or atleast the delivery does. Ex. supercharged vs twins. Im currently supercharged but wouldnt mind going twins if I felt my rear end would hold up. Not to mention I have no desire to drop more money into my car....well maybe a little but not twin turbo $$$.

go drive a porsche if you wanna see how good power is put down around the 450-500rwhp range.

Do the head and cam or paxton (smooth delivery of power)

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on what your doing with the car IMHO. Street/drag just go paxton,TT, nose etc. Sky the limit. Track/Autocross do your bolt ons and a good tune then spend all that extra money on modding the driver (Race Schools, HPDE, Etc). I don't care how much power it puts down, you go up against a driver who can hammer through the apex's and knows how to drive well you will regret the investment on power.

In my short history as a viper owner I went from show/shine guy (about 4months of that) to track ******. Now several years later I am still learning how to use 100% of the car behind the wheel. I suspect some day I will think to myself hmmmm another 100-200hp might be sweet but not yet.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 Shandon

bolt-on N/A power is plenty for a track with turns:drive:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it should be illegal to use the phrase 1130 hp and word lambo in the same sentance

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 800 hp Paxton 03.

This package was fantastic great fun, but you could tell that the engine was overdriving the chassis and suspension.

The frantic, power of God feeling you get with high HP engines is addicting, but with a rear wheel drive system, the traction is the limiting factor, not the engine.

If you add stickier tires you just start breaking things at a rapid rate.

The current 600 hp package is a fantastically well balanced system.

Enough Hp to put a smile on your face, enough brakes to pull it all down, and enough chassis and suspension to keep it all together.

Think Dodge is going to be required to add electronic controls to its next generation.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon said it best.....depends on how you want to use the car. I never track mine Andrew that's why I say you can have enough. Roadcourse or Autocross would be a different answer. 1/4 mile or one mile racing i don't think you can ever have enough.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too much power? Nonsense. You do realize that the throttle pedal acts as a good limiter, it isn't like the engine makes full power at idle. ;)

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of mine make over 1000 on low boost. I've never had the car over 17lbs, which is around 1350 at the wheels. So I'd say that's a good starting point to start saying anymore would be worthless. I can go to 32, just never have. I never owned a viper prior to these. First one I had was a TT. People that say you need a master another car, I disagree with. An idiot will wreck any car, regardless of experience. I just took my time, learned the car and I've NEVER had the car in an unsafe situation.

OP
OP
L

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmm.. Looks like the general consensus is that power is something to learn and once mastered, move up! Well, I'll stick to my bolt-ons and a tune for now, but maybe in a few years I'll be boosted! :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 2012 there will be no such thing as too much power. The computers will do all the driving for you and you'll just go along for the ride. It'll be fun for those who could never reach the edge with their own skill. For the rest of us it will ****.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's all relative.

At 17, I remember buying a '79 Z28. That was a fast car for me at the time. Hell, I think a Camry would probably spank that car now... but for where I was at that time (inexperienced and idiotic), it was a handful.

Nowadays 600hp is nice, but nothing special. Ideally I'd like to be at least 800. At 800hp, I'm sure I'd grow tired after a while and want 1,000... and so on and so on. A bit of time in the saddle with any level of horsepower and inevitably - you'll want more.

Moral of the story - too much is never enough.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3000 pounds and 500 rwhp is perfect for a street car...10 second capability yet still very driveable..

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock gen 2...3...or 4..

Id imagine a stock gen4 feels comparable to a paxtoned 700 rwhp gen3..Slower but still comparable as it's a 130 mph gen4 vs 135 mph 700 rwhp paxtoned gen3...

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes after feeling much higher hp, stock is a let down, however thats true going back to any car with less hp. I just believe 505 gen3 or 510 gen4 cubes should at least be 650 hp from the factory these days. lets get our damn money's worth.

My Build Motor 654rwhp/ 620rwft-lb setup on 91 oct feels more responsive and as fst if not faster than my 720rwhp paxton.

Build Motor is incredibly faster than a couple years back when i had basic bolt ons making 520rwhp.

Next month im hoping to get the car back down to Todd @ A&C Performance to get a 2nd custom 100 octane tune.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know my Ferrari F430 F1 is slow, but I really enjoy driving the car. It feels right. Will I run 10s in 1/4? No, but it sounds so good and handles beautifully. I guess I am saying It just depends on what you have the car for.......

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know my Ferrari F430 F1 is slow, but I really enjoy driving the car. It feels right. Will I run 10s in 1/4? No, but it sounds so good and handles beautifully. I guess I am saying It just depends on what you have the car for.......

You're right. I wanted an awesome car that had the potential to be the fastest thing on the street and easy to fix when I break it....that's what I have with the Viper.

The Ferrari is an awesome machine, but not for me since my pockets are not deep enough to afford what it would take to make it even close to what my Viper is now. I love the sound and all the techno items the Ferrari has...but the bottom line for me was max power and ease of repairs.

Also slow is the Gallardo...drove one and was suprised at how much slower it felt compared to a stock gen III viper.