Top Mods List

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what would be the top 10 things you have done that have made the biggest diffence on the dyno or your track times?

Think of it as a package shopping list with one aim - the 10 things that got you the biggest difference.... ignore price - just results in your opinion of order.

If there was a mod that you think is highly over rated or worse - maybe add a top 5 Lemon Mod list as well....

Reaction score
Best Track times invest in driving schools!

Take Skip Barber schools
Two Day Performance Driving
Car Control
Racing School
Lapping Days
In Car(yout car)instruction on road courses with a Skip Barber instructor.

A good driver will spank a novice with 200+ more hp. I saw a Neon at Button Willow that was faster than half of the Vipers. Same driver (Al) was also faster than many Viper at Thunderhill.

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
left field but very true!

Nothing humbles the ego quicker than meeting a pro at the track and going head to head

I think driving schools are a great investment

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the top ten (I'm still in the early stages), or anything about improved track time (my first day of track training is scheduled for next month) but of the mods I've had done so far, the top three are as follows:

1) 3.54 differential (JonB; Heffner)
2) Gripper shifter (MGW)
3) Grinding down my clutch peddle so that my sneakers slide on it while I keep my heel planted on the floor (me)

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second the comment on getting driver training. I've been taking private lessons, and it's making a big difference in my driving abilities.

I'm just beginning to mod my new Viper.

So far, I've been happy with the things I've done, although they aren't really "performance" modifications.

MGW First Strike shift knob. ($85, 15 minute install) Much more ergonomic, which means quicker shifts.

Team Tech 6 point seat belts. ($720 for both seats, 4 hour install, but if I had to do it again, I could do it in half the time) Terrific mod if you take your car to the track. Being strapped in gives a lot of extra car control in heavy cornering and braking, because you aren't getting flung about.

Northwind 1 inch seat lowering kit ($370 driver's seat only, 3 hour install) Better forward vision, and more clearance when wearing a helmet.

Clearbra ($800) covers the front, the sills and the wheel wells. Keeps my paint safe from rocks, sand, and gravel.

****** SRX Radar Detector Laser detector/shifter. ($1700) Has paid for itself already in avoided ticket costs and insurance premium hikes.

I've ordered an autoform roll bar. It should be here in a month or so.

I am seriously looking at [******]'s venom 600 package. I'm also looking at more serious performance mods (like the twin turbo systems) but am wondering if 800+ horsepower really makes sense in a convertible that doesn't have a roll cage. I would probably be content with an additional 100 horses, anyway, just in case I ever encounter a Ford GT.

Kai

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously looking at [******]'s venom 600 package.
Kai

That's strange. The forum software automatically blanked out the name of a certain well known car tuner in Texas from my previous post. What's up with that? Are discussions about them banned from this forum?

Kai

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone else have performance packages like henn? i am not talking about headers and intakes. i mean full packages like the 650 or some twin turbo kit?

g3173

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mods I've done so far;

1. Skip Barber Driving Classes and Ultra High Performace Class -- Will be attending in May

2. Corsa sidepipe kit

3. 3.55 ring/pinion set

4. Sill covers

5. First Strike knob and shifter

Did I mention I've only had this car for 4 days :headbang:
Ordered all the parts from JonB and hope to have installed this week.

Anyone know where I can get a clearbra?

Thanks,
Gene

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes.

Heffener, in Baltimore, MD ( http://www.heffnersperformance.com/index.html ), while not having any packages listed as of yet on his website for the SRT, has put together a 650 package for me (cam, ported heads, valve job, rockers, etc.) You could call him and I'm sure he would be happy to put together a package for you and fax it to you for your review. That's what I did.

Also RSI, in Houston, TX ( http://www.racingsolutionsinc.com ) has lots of packages listed on their website.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes.

Heffener, in Baltimore, MD ( http://www.heffnersperformance.com/index.html ), while not having any packages listed as of yet on his website for the SRT, has put together a 650 package for me (cam, ported heads, valve job, rockers, etc.) You could call him and I'm sure he would be happy to put together a package for you and fax it to you for your review. That's what I did.

Also RSI, in Houston, TX ( http://www.racingsolutionsinc.com ) has lots of packages listed on their website.

When do you expect to have your Heffner 650 package completed?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE] When do you expect to have your Heffner 650 package completed?

[/QUOTE]
Within a couple weeks after delivering it, which is scheduled for next week. :D

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alas, I am one of those poor Viper owners that hovers around insolvency just to keep things interesting. It does not stop me from devouring any and all information I can get on the SRT-10 mods. That said, here are the ones I think are the best bang for the buck:

1. MGW shift knob - it really does make the car faster by providing better shifting for the driver.

2. Headers/exhaust - Sources claim that a good set of headers and exhaust will net between 35 & 50 rwhp.

3. Filters and maybe smooth tube from K&N. Look for that recent thread, however I think it is safe to say that it should net at least 10+ peak rwhp over stock. Green Filters also makes a stock replacement filter (similar design to K&N, including oiling), however they will not be tested until this Sunday.

4. Rear end gears of 3.45 to 3.55 - while not necessarily a horsepower improvement per se, they take much more advantage of the SRT horsepower by keeping it in the "power band" for a longer period of time. None of that 3.07 "lazy gears syndrome" where it falls into lower revs and out of the power band. Seat of the pants (SOTP) feel is noticeably improved and many say it can improve the times at the drag strip if you can control the wheelspin. Realize that you will be trapping in fourth gear no matter what.

5. Go the "big boys" route: Supercharging, twin turbos, head work, nitrous, etc. Many tuners provide packages or add ons. I would check with the ones mentioned in the above posts, as well as Dan Cragin (several different SRT packages), Roe Racing, Doug Levin Motorsports, BTR, etc. I would guess that you could have a 700 horsepower Viper in very short order.

There are a few mods that I am interested in seeing including the VEC 2 for the SRT (Roe Racing) and the OCM reprogramming from West Coast Viper. These may also net you some decent horsepower with a not-too-terrible investment. I think we will be testing both of these on Gen II's at our Dyno Day this Sunday (will post before and after dyno's).

Hope this helps!

Chris