Top Squeak

SmokeHouse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I anyone else experiencing an annoying squeak when the top is up on their SRT/10? Seems to be happening in the far left corner. Anyone got a good idea as to how to fix it?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No squeak on mine. Only 350 miles (got another 50 yesterday!) though.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Squeak yes, fix yes. Believe it or not, a firm thump with your fist on the front left corner of the metal frame generally seems to make it go away until the top is down-up again. I am guessing it is some sort of a seating issue when it is latched back down. There also seems to be a faint rattle in the latch mechanism itself, but I haven't figured that one out yet. Easier to just keep the top down and hope for warm weather!

Chris

David Weaver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TSB is on the way. The noise is actually from the latch. When the top is closed, there is a little spring on the latch that now has no load on it. Here is what I have been doing until the TSB parts are available, remove the latch and put it in the closed position, you will see the little silver spring on the right side of the latch. It is just dangling there. Put some type of tape (I use "flocking" tape...a dealer item). I know, it sounds like it is from the left side but it really is the latch rattling. Hope this helps for now. David

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,

I have the "rattle" as well and had it in to the dealer yesterday. They told me they tightened everything up and the rattle was gone - I drove off the lot and it was back and seemed even louder!
I was looking for the spring that you talk about but can't see it - when you say it is on the right side do you mean passenger side? About how big is the spring? Also you say to "remove" the latch - I assume you just mean undo it and push the top back a bit?
Thanks.

David Weaver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to remove the latch from the top. To do that, you must take out all of the screws along the front edge of the top that hold the long flat metal piece on. Don't worry, the fabric is secure and won't come flying off at you when you take this piece off. Then you have to take the bolts out of the latch and remove the latch from the top. You will see the little round, silver spring wrapped around the latch. Just insulate the latch area where the spring contacts it and the noise will be cured. BE VERY CAREFUL! All of the screws are torx head and have loctite on them. Take your time and make sure you don't strip the heads. I use a screwdriver type handle that my ratchet fits into the end. I get better pressure and leverage that way, and do yourself a favor and use a good name brand, new torx bit when you take it apart and reapply loctite on reassembly.
I just got back from SRT training today and the instructor could only tell me they are working on the TSB but had no time line for the release. Hope this helps. David

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we are talking about two separate issues: The squeak from the left side and the rattle from the latch area. I can't imagine a loose spring would squeak. Glad to know that the rattle wasn't just loose stuff rolling around in my skull...

Chris

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The squeak IS coming from the left side because that is what my left ear is telling me (I'm deaf in the right). Seriously, even a passenger says it is coming from the left side.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to set it straight, I have a squeak on the left AND a rattle on the right!!!

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2250 miles and yes with the windows up a squeak is very evident. Goes away when rolling the window down!

Next problem with the top...3rd bar from the front window, I noticied 10 open (pulled) staples and It looks like for whatever reason the material seperated from the topbar. Doesn't look good, going to the dealer to report. Please look and check if anyone's else is doing the same.

I have not exceeded 100 with the top up and windows down! So I am not sure when it happen or if they loosened up over time. I have put the top up & down maybe 30 times in the last 2 months.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No staples showing on mine...yet. Had my car over 100 with top up and windows down, but only once since I just broke it in this week.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have the latch sqeauk, but did have the left side a-pillar junction squeak. I knew it was at this junction point, because when it would occur, I would push very hard upwards at this point, and the noise would stop.

Took it to the dealer, they "adjusted" it, threw a little oil in there, and we're good for now. This was in combo to my blown speakers I had...

That rattle I could never locate which I assume is that spring was driving me bonkers! Thanks so much for telling me, I would always go "ok where's that noise coming from" to anyone who sat in the car!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang